The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

What is life like at Surrey?

Okay, so I'm waiting on an offer for Surrey, and am really considering firming it (if it does come). The issue is I know nothing about the city, the uni, or the social and general life there :|.

So my question is, what is it like? How are the people (as in general vibe, mix, class etc)? How is the city (how quiet or vibrant is it)? How is the uni itself? How is the accommodation? How is the nightlife? Generally questions like that.

If anyone who's been there before or studies/lives there, I would REALLY appreciate your input, as I'm really not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ludd-sama
Okay, so I'm waiting on an offer for Surrey, and am really considering firming it (if it does come). The issue is I know nothing about the city, the uni, or the social and general life there :|.

So my question is, what is it like? How are the people (as in general vibe, mix, class etc)? How is the city (how quiet or vibrant is it)? How is the uni itself? How is the accommodation? How is the nightlife? Generally questions like that.

If anyone who's been there before or studies/lives there, I would REALLY appreciate your input, as I'm really not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance!

I'm in exactly the same position as you!! Waiting for a reply as I really want to go but I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it.
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
Pretty good reputation.

But haven't heard particularly great things tbh. I know of someone who dropped out pretty quickly.

Guildford is not the most interesting place.

Visit and find out what you can. :wink:
Reply 3
I would like to know this too
The uni itself is amazing. Staff are outstanding, and the facilities are top rate. We didn't get 4th in the league tables for nothing! There is also a lovely community feel, so you really feel like your opinions are heard. I cant sing the universities praises enough.

Guildford however is another story. Its a very pretty town, and I would highly recommend visiting, there's a lot to see! However its far from the most exciting place to live for 4 years. If you're the kind of person who will be out clubbing every other night regardless of quality then you'll do just fine, there's enough clubs to go to a different one every other day of the week. However, beyond mindless repetitive clubbing, the social side is pretty dead. Nothing ever changes here, and the town is much more designed to be for commuters and older-rich people than for students. Unless your really active in a society (which are limited in number), there's not even too much to do on campus.

So I'd say surrey really depends on your priorities. If you want an excellent degree, that will lead you to an amazing career, then come here.
If you want a top rate social life and four years of fun and friend making, then there may be better options for you (city uni's like manchester or any of the london uni's for example).

Hope this helps! :smile:

EDIT: I am currently a second year student, so I've been here for nearly 2 years in case anyone was wondering.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by stefano865
Pretty good reputation.

But haven't heard particularly great things tbh. I know of someone who dropped out pretty quickly.

Guildford is not the most interesting place.

Visit and find out what you can. :wink:

The uni itself is amazing. Staff are outstanding, and the facilities are top rate. We didn't get 4th in the league tables for nothing! There is also a lovely community feel, so you really feel like your opinions are heard. I cant sing the universities praises enough.

Guildford however is another story. Its a very pretty town, and I would highly recommend visiting, there's a lot to see! However its far from the most exciting place to live for 4 years. If you're the kind of person who will be out clubbing every other night regardless of quality then you'll do just fine, there's enough clubs to go to a different one every other day of the week. However, beyond mindless repetitive clubbing, the social side is pretty dead. Nothing ever changes here, and the town is much more designed to be for commuters and older-rich people than for students. Unless your really active in a society (which are limited in number), there's not even too much to do on campus.

So I'd say surrey really depends on your priorities. If you want an excellent degree, that will lead you to an amazing career, then come here.
If you want a top rate social life and four years of fun and friend making, then there may be better options for you (city uni's like manchester or any of the london uni's for example).
Reply 6
Original post by onelittleorange

The actual education and career prospects sound really good from what you've said, which sounds good :].

but the social life side not so much which is sly worrying. I mean, does the city itself being "dull" mean that much of the actual students and campus environment is lively? Like are there a lot of house parties and impromptu student functions taking place frequently?
It's university so there are always parties!
I was in a 4 floor house and every day for the first week,and every weekend for the first few months the entire house would be a giant party. There is always a party to be found somewhere!
You cant deny that there is a social scene at the uni, and quite a good one, but what it lacks in is variety. Social events are pretty much limited to drinking too much and dancing to typicsl club music. Don't get me wrong, that can be fun and I've had many a fun and memorable night out, but it can get a bit repetetive if you're not a big club person. It really depends on what you do for fun, if you're a clubber, you'll love it, if not you'll probably get a bit bored.
Also it's worth noting that drinks are stupidly expensive here so if you plan on going out frequently, you need to be prepared to be broke!
How's the food situation at Surrey? I was looking at the university site and it doesn't look like there's a lot of options in terms of things to eat. Even the store to buy food doesn't look like there's a lot of options.
Original post by Coolsbreeze
How's the food situation at Surrey? I was looking at the university site and it doesn't look like there's a lot of options in terms of things to eat. Even the store to buy food doesn't look like there's a lot of options.

So on campus there are a number of pubs/cafes etc which serve delicious but pricey food. Great for lunch out with friends but not everyday living.
The main shop on campus has a reputation for poor choice and being waaay over priced. The students have been campaigning for years to see some improvement there because it really is poor, but as of yet, no improvement.
But to compensate for that there is a huge Tesco 10 mins walk from campus and 5 mins from manor park (one of the main accommodation areas).
So basically you can get good cheap food fron Tesco, or good expensive food from most places on campus. Just be prepared that your everyday shopping will be expensive if you're not willing to go for a little walk to Tesco
Original post by ludd-sama

Thanks in advance!

It's like a student trying to mix in with the old rich folk and learning to live in a boring little town for 3+ years.
So on campus there are a number of pubs/cafes etc which serve delicious but pricey food. Great for lunch out with friends but not everyday living.
The main shop on campus has a reputation for poor choice and being waaay over priced. The students have been campaigning for years to see some improvement there because it really is poor, but as of yet, no improvement.
But to compensate for that there is a huge Tesco 10 mins walk from campus and 5 mins from manor park (one of the main accommodation areas).
So basically you can get good cheap food fron Tesco, or good expensive food from most places on campus. Just be prepared that your everyday shopping will be expensive if you're not willing to go for a little walk to Tesco

Thanks for the info. Does Tesco just sell groceries or is it like one of those grocery stores that sells sandwiches, soups and meals or is it just purely groceries? Sorry but I don't live in the UK so I've never heard of Tesco.
Thanks for the info. Does Tesco just sell groceries or is it like one of those grocery stores that sells sandwiches, soups and meals or is it just purely groceries? Sorry but I don't live in the UK so I've never heard of Tesco.

Tesco sells everything! Groceries, meals, soups, a fair amount of home stuff to (plates, glasses etc). If you want something, they'll probably have it! :smile:
Tesco sells everything! Groceries, meals, soups, a fair amount of home stuff to (plates, glasses etc). If you want something, they'll probably have it! :smile:

What time do places to eat usually close at the University?
What time do places to eat usually close at the University?

Tesco is open 24hrs a day
The shop on campus is open 7am-11pm.
Most of the cafes are 8am-5pm
Most of the restaurants are 9am-11pm
(There is some variation in all these times but its a rough estimate)
They are also all open for fewer hours on Sunday
Reply 15
It's university so there are always parties!
I was in a 4 floor house and every day for the first week,and every weekend for the first few months the entire house would be a giant party. There is always a party to be found somewhere!!

Hi! I've been offered a place for vet med at Surrey :smile: so considering getting accomodation on Manor Park Campus, but I've heard its quite ..dead (in terms of the social life). Was wondering what your views are on Manor Park. I am a verrrry social person, but Manor Park is right next to the vet block where I assume all my lectures will be held - so it's convenient.
Not trying to put people off but I thought it was absolutely dead, and dropped out after a few months, and am now at the University of Birmingham and am loving life.

Shops - 7 - There are plenty of little shops about with your standard retailers, urban etc. which are in the Friary shopping centre. But the rest of the shops are smaller ones on the high street, which are quite expensive.

Entertainment - 5 - Guildford is a Town, not a city. I can’t stress this enough. There’s an Odeon Cinema (£14 for a student ticket), an ice skating rink and a bowling alley in a sports centre out of town. If you want concerts etc. then you’ll have to go elsewhere (London). However it usually takes well over an hour to get to London by train, and then add on your time travelling within London to get to where you want to be so bear that in mind.

Social Life - 2 - Rubix is the SU club, which in three words can be described as hot, crammed and sweaty. Drinks are cheap and the music is alright, to be honest I quite enjoyed nights out at Rubix. Apart from that, you have a Spoons (can’t go wrong with a spoons), Popworld (no explanation needed) and Bar Thirteen which is expensive but fun. Apart from these all you have are a few pubs dotted around the place. So basically if you’re on a night out, you have a choice of 4 places, all with very similar music, and all absolutely packed, because there’s nowhere else to go. Talking of Popworld, if you see posters for ‘Raves’, they’ll be in Popworld, not my idea of a rave at all. Although to be fair, the societies and clubs are always doing things and occasionally going off to places which are all pretty well organised and are pretty fun.

Lectures - n/a - depends on the course, but all of my faculty staff were on the ball and were more than happy to go out of their way to help me which is really nice.

Accommodation - 5 - Uni accommodation is of good standard although quite pricey. Whatever you do, don’t end up in Hazel Farm unless you’re looking for a retirement home vibe, an hour away by bus and a small costcutter. Also bear in mind that 2nd/3rd year accommodation is limited as there’s a housing crisis in Guildford, it’s also very expensive as a result of this, so I’d advise on sorting out accommodation for next year ASAP and definitely before Christmas.

Sports - 10 - The Sports Park is without a doubt amazing, with lots of sports clubs doing things all the time and their socials on top of that.

People - n/a - Bear in mind that Guildford is a VERY white, conservative and middle to upper-middle class area, with more private schools than there are postboxes. Whilst the students are mixed in terms of ethnicity, you’ll find lots of people that go to Surrey are from wealthy backgrounds and are looking for a quiet, happy life whilst they knuckle down to get a First. I was none of these things, and have never felt so isolated in my life during my time there. That’s why I ended up in brum, it’s the exact opposite and I love it here. Basically, the type of people that go to a certain uni are the type of people that would be more than happy to have grown up there, as well as see themselves staying there for a few years after.

Safety - 10 - I’m pretty sure I could leave my car unlocked with the keys in the ignition and come back a few years later and it would still be there.

Town Life - For a white, conservative and middle class town it’s a lovely part of the world. Just think about your options, what type of person you are, what type of people you want to meet at uni, and what you want to get up to whilst you’re there. I guess I didn’t think this through properly, and that’s why I ended up dropping out and going to Brum.

To clarify, I’m not trying to be disrespectful to anyone who studies or wishes to study at Surrey. But when I looked around, all I saw was positive things, and it really was too good to be true in my case. But that’s just me, we’re all unique and all we can do is be ourselves. If you’ve read this and like the idea of surrey, then go for it, I’m sure you’ll have a lovely time. But if you want somewhere where there’s lots going on and there’s a mixed student base from a socioeconomic point of view, then maybe think about other places. Just be yourself and take your time, even consider a gap year maybe?
Original post by 10ryasmi
Not trying to put people off but I thought it was absolutely dead, and dropped out after a few months, and am now at the University of Birmingham and am loving life.
Shops - 7 - There are plenty of little shops about with your standard retailers, urban etc. which are in the Friary shopping centre. But the rest of the shops are smaller ones on the high street, which are quite expensive.
Entertainment - 5 - Guildford is a Town, not a city. I can’t stress this enough. There’s an Odeon Cinema (£14 for a student ticket), an ice skating rink and a bowling alley in a sports centre out of town. If you want concerts etc. then you’ll have to go elsewhere (London). However it usually takes well over an hour to get to London by train, and then add on your time travelling within London to get to where you want to be so bear that in mind.
Social Life - 2 - Rubix is the SU club, which in three words can be described as hot, crammed and sweaty. Drinks are cheap and the music is alright, to be honest I quite enjoyed nights out at Rubix. Apart from that, you have a Spoons (can’t go wrong with a spoons), Popworld (no explanation needed) and Bar Thirteen which is expensive but fun. Apart from these all you have are a few pubs dotted around the place. So basically if you’re on a night out, you have a choice of 4 places, all with very similar music, and all absolutely packed, because there’s nowhere else to go. Talking of Popworld, if you see posters for ‘Raves’, they’ll be in Popworld, not my idea of a rave at all. Although to be fair, the societies and clubs are always doing things and occasionally going off to places which are all pretty well organised and are pretty fun.
Lectures - n/a - depends on the course, but all of my faculty staff were on the ball and were more than happy to go out of their way to help me which is really nice.
Accommodation - 5 - Uni accommodation is of good standard although quite pricey. Whatever you do, don’t end up in Hazel Farm unless you’re looking for a retirement home vibe, an hour away by bus and a small costcutter. Also bear in mind that 2nd/3rd year accommodation is limited as there’s a housing crisis in Guildford, it’s also very expensive as a result of this, so I’d advise on sorting out accommodation for next year ASAP and definitely before Christmas.
Sports - 10 - The Sports Park is without a doubt amazing, with lots of sports clubs doing things all the time and their socials on top of that.
People - n/a - Bear in mind that Guildford is a VERY white, conservative and middle to upper-middle class area, with more private schools than there are postboxes. Whilst the students are mixed in terms of ethnicity, you’ll find lots of people that go to Surrey are from wealthy backgrounds and are looking for a quiet, happy life whilst they knuckle down to get a First. I was none of these things, and have never felt so isolated in my life during my time there. That’s why I ended up in brum, it’s the exact opposite and I love it here. Basically, the type of people that go to a certain uni are the type of people that would be more than happy to have grown up there, as well as see themselves staying there for a few years after.
Safety - 10 - I’m pretty sure I could leave my car unlocked with the keys in the ignition and come back a few years later and it would still be there.
Town Life - For a white, conservative and middle class town it’s a lovely part of the world. Just think about your options, what type of person you are, what type of people you want to meet at uni, and what you want to get up to whilst you’re there. I guess I didn’t think this through properly, and that’s why I ended up dropping out and going to Brum.
To clarify, I’m not trying to be disrespectful to anyone who studies or wishes to study at Surrey. But when I looked around, all I saw was positive things, and it really was too good to be true in my case. But that’s just me, we’re all unique and all we can do is be ourselves. If you’ve read this and like the idea of surrey, then go for it, I’m sure you’ll have a lovely time. But if you want somewhere where there’s lots going on and there’s a mixed student base from a socioeconomic point of view, then maybe think about other places. Just be yourself and take your time, even consider a gap year maybe?
Hello!
I just wanted to say this post was really helpful and it made me feel much better about my choice. Most people who know me consider me as a grandpa since I'm just as you described, looking for a quiet happy life in a nice area with nice scenery and I enjoy studying. I also don't drink or go clubbing so thats off the table for me. I'm already used to living in a very secluded place (just next to dartmoor) so I'm not worried about that either.
I'm kind of ranting now, probably easing my anxiety by telling myself why I made the right choice but thank you for making this review it was super helpful and clarifying!
Cheers,
Gus.

Quick Reply