Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Healthy eating without craving junk food?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to start eating healthily; I'm not overweight however I feel a lot better in myself when I'm eating healthy. I've tried eating salads however I always crave sweet foods and junk foods and binge eat afterwards (I have little self control at times). Any ideas on a healthy diet that won't leave me craving junk?

ReputationRep:
    One of my favourite healthy snacks is some Greek yogurt with some chopped up berries (strawberries, raspberries, whatever you like), some sliced peach and a little drizzle of honey. IT'S DIVINE! Of course you can pair it with whatever you want. It's nice and healthy, tastes amazing and also fills you up quite a bit!
    Also a good old fashioned scrambled egg, with diced tomatoes, onion, green peppers and whatever you want! It makes a nice light lunch, possibly breakfast (paired with some nice brown toast) and doesn't leave you feeling gross like fast food does.
    And finally, fruit smoothies are super easy and super cheap. If you buy frozen berries (or fresh, depending on whats cheaper in your area), add in a bit of banana, a splash of milk and a spoon of yogurt, you have yourself a delicious fruit smoothie.

These are my go-to snacks when I'm feeling peckish and don't have the time or money to go for something extravagant.

ReputationRep:
    Work out your TDEE and go from there, as people say.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You should be able to find healthy recipes online for your favourite junk foods?

ReputationRep:
    If you crave sweet items or junk foods it tends to be because you havent eaten enough good carbs throughout the day. I used to crave salty foods all the time, but realsied it was due to the fact that i didnt drink enough water, so its stopped now

ReputationRep:
    A strong mind will help
    But I love dessert too, and if you don't gain too much weight, it won't matter a lot.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Total daily energy expenditure - work it out, eat 500 calories under it. use MyFitnessPal to keep track of your calories. If you have some calories left over, you can have something sweet. It's what I do and it's just so easy

ReputationRep:
    Willpower.

Once you've gone a month without junk you'll look at it, realise just how crappy it is and feel sick. So you won't even want to smell it, let alone eat it.

ReputationRep:
    make sure you're eating enough and allow yourself a small amount of the things you're craving, e.g. have a freddo rather than a king sized bar of chocolate, buy things portioned out (or split them into portions) so you can just take one

ReputationRep:
    Salads does not necessarily = health or a good diet.

I think you need to have a proper look at your "healthy" diet and look to see if you're eating enough of each food group and have a healthy balanced diet. Eating healthy shouldn't mean just eating salads and vegetables, there is more to it that that. If you're craving other foods you're likely not getting enough of what you need, and also being healthy does not necessarily mean you cannot have any treats, that's a big reason people usually fail on these diet changes. Because they jump in at the deep end and don't allow themselves any indulgences and it makes them miserable and more likely to binge on junk.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to avoid junk food altogether, a little bit of crap here and there is fine. Follow the 80:20 rule - if at least 80% of your caloric intake comes from "healthy" food then you're fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.