Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am on the OCR exam board and in year 10 we did a controlled assessment. my friend had appendicitis and missed lots of the work so I ssent her a copy of my draft and told them DO NOT COPY because I panic a lot and wouldn't want to get into trouble, I was tryig to be helpful and I thought she wouldn't copy. I read her work after we did the controlled assessment as a 'peer assessment' between the two of us for spellings and I what I was reading were exact sentences from mine. immediately I told her to take those sentences out but as I read on there were more phrases from mine. I told her she was in the wrong but she didn't take them out. I spoke to my mum about it and she told me to see if the teachers notice and this has been on my conscience along time and I am worried that I will be disqualified, what should I do and do you think it was happen?

ReputationRep:
    The best thing to do, in my opinion, is say to this 'friend' that you will be mentioning it to the teacher. This way, you won't appear to be trying to trick the board. Just go in to your teacher and say exactly what you wrote; that because she was ill, you gave her your copy to look at, but she copied it completely. This way then, it won't be you in the wrong, as you will have told the truth from the beginning. Likelihood is that if the teacher marks thoroughly anyway, then he/she will notice. That's my opinion anyway. You may feel guilty, but you don't want your grade to suffer because you didn't say anything would you? Hope it goes okay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicebrr)
    The best thing to do, in my opinion, is say to this 'friend' that you will be mentioning it to the teacher. This way, you won't appear to be trying to trick the board. Just go in to your teacher and say exactly what you wrote; that because she was ill, you gave her your copy to look at, but she copied it completely. This way then, it won't be you in the wrong, as you will have told the truth from the beginning. Likelihood is that if the teacher marks thoroughly anyway, then he/she will notice. That's my opinion anyway. You may feel guilty, but you don't want your grade to suffer because you didn't say anything would you? Hope it goes okay!
    Thank you for replying! Do you think that even it was a few phrases here and there that they will notice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2905)
    Thank you for replying! Do you think that even it was a few phrases here and there that they will notice?
    Well, I suppose it depends on whether the teacher reads yours and your friends one after the other etc...but if it's good sentences, something that the teacher would say 'that is very good' to, then they are more likely to realise. Personally, if I was in your situation, I would explain to the friend what I am going to do then explain to the teacher. Even if they don't do anything about it then at least it's off your mind!

ReputationRep:
    Tell the teacher, otherwise when they spot it you'll be trouble too. Explain the situation and tell them to compare your work and your friends work. Don't feel guilty about going to the teacher, you told them not to copy and they still put your grade at risk. They obviously don't care about you. Also, you gave them the opportunity to change it and they haven't. Tell the teacher and let them get what they deserve

ReputationRep:
    If you fail to mention anything to your teacher you will be in the wrong too, explain everything to your teacher and they will be understanding

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.