Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im stuck on a question on my coursework regarding finding the polytropic index 'n' and was wondering if anyone can help me out.

The question is:

"A compressor used in tyre fitting workshop is used to inflate commercial vehicle tyres to a high psi. The cylinder piston reciprocates and draws air in through an inlet valve and out via a discharge vale at a high pressure. During the cycle a quantity of air is compressed polytropically in the closed valve position. The law of the process being pV1.3 = constant.

At the beginning of the process, the air has a volume of 0.04m3 , a pressure of 1.6 bar and a temperature of 12oC.

At the end of the process, the volume of air is 0.0015m3.Treating the air as a perfect gas, and as a reversible process calculate for the air in the cylinder:

a)
    (i) the mass
    (ii) the final pressure before the discharge valve opens
    (iii) the final temperature
    For air, R =287 J/kgK

b)
    Determine the polytropic process index 'n' from the initial and final condition parameters of the air (gas) in the air compressor cylinder"

I have answers for part a which have been marked as correct, but on part b) im getting an answer of n = 1.3, which is being marked as incorrect and im not sure where im going wrong. my tutor says the answer is nearer to "3.something"

Any help would be seriously appreciated as this question is knocking me down from a distinction to a pass, and obvioulsy id rather get a D.

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jebbadiah)
    Im stuck on a question on my coursework regarding finding the polytropic index 'n' and was wondering if anyone can help me out.

The question is:

"A compressor used in tyre fitting workshop is used to inflate commercial vehicle tyres to a high psi. The cylinder piston reciprocates and draws air in through an inlet valve and out via a discharge vale at a high pressure. During the cycle a quantity of air is compressed polytropically in the closed valve position. The law of the process being pV1.3 = constant.

At the beginning of the process, the air has a volume of 0.04m3 , a pressure of 1.6 bar and a temperature of 12oC.

At the end of the process, the volume of air is 0.0015m3.Treating the air as a perfect gas, and as a reversible process calculate for the air in the cylinder:

a)
    (i) the mass
    (ii) the final pressure before the discharge valve opens
    (iii) the final temperature
    For air, R =287 J/kgK

b)
    Determine the polytropic process index 'n' from the initial and final condition parameters of the air (gas) in the air compressor cylinder"

I have answers for part a which have been marked as correct, but on part b) im getting an answer of n = 1.3, which is being marked as incorrect and im not sure where im going wrong. my tutor says the answer is nearer to "3.something"

Any help would be seriously appreciated as this question is knocking me down from a distinction to a pass, and obvioulsy id rather get a D.

Thanks
    Post your working and we'll see where we can help.

ReputationRep:
    P1V1^n = P2V2^n
    1.6 x 10^5 x 0.04^n = 11425608.39 x 0.0015^n 0.04^n/0.0015^n = 11425608.39/(1.6 x 10^5)
    26.67^n = 71.41
    log 26.67^n = log 71.41
    n log 26.67 = log 71.41
    n = log 71.41/log 26.67
    n = 1.3

Thats the working as i worded it on my assignment.

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.