Do American trial lawyers seem unprofessional

Watch
karl pilkington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Have you ever seen an american trial even a murder trial the barristers/advocates or whatever seem very unprofessional and useless at their jobs.
Neostigmine
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have you been watching Making a Murderer by any chance?

I doubt what we see is a true representation of all american legal professionals :nah:.
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
(Original post by Neostigmine)
Have you been watching Making a Murderer by any chance?

I doubt what we see is a true representation of all american legal professionals :nah:.
no the bbc series on at the moment
MostUnciviIised
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by karl pilkington)
Have you ever seen an american trial even a murder trial the barristers/advocates or whatever seem very unprofessional and useless at their jobs.
It's a different legal system, and a different culture. I think barristers are more reserved generally, and we have a less flashy court system.

For example, instead of a trial lawyer jumping to his feet to shout "Objection!" and the judge banging his gavel, an English barrister will gracefully rise to his feet and say something like, "My lord, I must object most strenuously to this line of questioning from my learned friend".

I think there's more collegiality amongst the English bar. Also, most English barristers might aspire to become a High Court judge, to be modestly financially successful (Georgian terrace in town and a house in the country for weekends, nothing too extravagant) whereas an American lawyer would aspire to have their own TV show.

As I said, there's a completely different culture at work.
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
(Original post by MostUnciviIised)
It's a different legal system, and a different culture. I think barristers are more reserved generally, and we have a less flashy court system.

For example, instead of a trial lawyer jumping to his feet to shout "Objection!" and the judge banging his gavel, an English barrister will gracefully rise to his feet and say something like, "My lord, I must object most strenuously to this line of questioning from my learned friend".

I think there's more collegiality amongst the English bar. Also, most English barristers might aspire to become a High Court judge, to be modestly financially successful (Georgian terrace in town and a house in the country for weekends, nothing too extravagant) whereas an American lawyer would aspire to have their own TV show.

As I said, there's a completely different culture at work.
Yeah I think you are right also our legal system is dominated by 'posh people' much more reserved and civilised. For example on that programme when the defendant got the death penalty the lawyer put his head on the table whereas that would never happen here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (192)
5.04%
Uncertainty around my education (555)
14.56%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (427)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (525)
13.78%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (189)
4.96%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (228)
5.98%
Loneliness (319)
8.37%
Financial worries (141)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (149)
3.91%
Exposure to negative news/social media (170)
4.46%
Lack of real life entertainment (217)
5.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (341)
8.95%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (358)
9.39%

Watched Threads