Turn on thread page Beta

Bored Obviously Mental Bloke Wants a Chat AMA watch

ReputationRep:
    Probably a bit old for this, but anyway Fire! (away) ????
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Daddy or chips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Daddy or chips?

CHIPS!

(Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    If heat rises, why don't fires just float away?
    They do apparently.

ReputationRep:
    Did you know we are all made of stars?

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as you're on the topic of stars...

Imagine in your hand is a device which for all intents and purposes complies with the laws of physics and is hypothetically possible.

Let us assume that our Sun is the size of a red or blue giant such that at the end stages of it's life it will explode as a supernova, destroying our planet. Let us also assume that this is an instantaneous event.

The Sun is about to blow up. The device you hold in your hand has a button. If you press this button, it will delay the supernova for about 1 day. The device also becomes inactivated after using it so you cannot continuously delay the button.

By delaying the supernova, it gives time for Project Exo to commence. This Project is a global initiative that can transport the whole of humanity from earth to a new planet, preferably an exoplanet with similar conditions to Earth. We can therefore all leave Earth in mega-spacecrafts and establish a new planetary home.

If you don't press the button, the Sun will explode. Project Exo cannot react quickly enough and the entire planet is destroyed.

Do you press the button and take the risk of continuing the survival of humanity on a new planet? (You decide whether we find a new planet or not, as long as we leave Earth)
    Or do you leave your device untouched, destroying everyone and everything on this planet, allowing all the elements to return to the cosmos?

Choose.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    After all, we are all made of stardust...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RMNDK)
    Seeing as you're on the topic of stars...

Imagine in your hand is a device which for all intents and purposes complies with the laws of physics and is hypothetically possible.

Let us assume that our Sun is the size of a red or blue giant such that at the end stages of it's life it will explode as a supernova, destroying our planet. Let us also assume that this is an instantaneous event.

The Sun is about to blow up. The device you hold in your hand has a button. If you press this button, it will delay the supernova for about 1 day. The device also becomes inactivated after using it so you cannot continuously delay the button.

By delaying the supernova, it gives time for Project Exo to commence. This Project is a global initiative that can transport the whole of humanity from earth to a new planet, preferably an exoplanet with similar conditions to Earth. We can therefore all leave Earth in mega-spacecrafts and establish a new planetary home.

If you don't press the button, the Sun will explode. Project Exo cannot react quickly enough and the entire planet is destroyed.

Do you press the button and take the risk of continuing the survival of humanity on a new planet? (You decide whether we find a new planet or not, as long as we leave Earth)
    Or do you leave your device untouched, destroying everyone and everything on this planet, allowing all the elements to return to the cosmos?

Choose.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    After all, we are all made of stardust...

Have I read that without thinking or do I obviously press the button?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N-R-G)
    I don't know.. have you read that without thinking?

I like this word: obviously.
    Why 'obviously'? Why is pressing the button, and thus attempting to save the entire human species, such a seemingly obvious action to do, so much so that anyone who dares question otherwise is an insane individual for not realising how pressing this button is undoubtedly the action that should be done nay must be done?

*ahem*
    Why 'obviously'?
    I mean, you have the option to not press the button at all.
    Maybe this is some other information: absolutely nobody knows you have this device nor do they know such a device exists. The only people who knows it's existence and location are you and the people you wish to reveal this information to.

ReputationRep:
    hm a mental man who is too old for a student forum is posting here...call the cops

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N-R-G)
    To be fair I misread that my hand was a device...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.