Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen any of these programmes thoughts on the punishment episode?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    seen two episodes now, not sure of names of episodes but I've seen 1 were the prisoner gets a stay of execution and one were the prisoner gets killed.

I have a lot of thoughts on it: I think for me in reinforces the idea that capital punishment is bad, the act of killing a prisoner isn't the worst thing, it's process that is in my opinion torture.

ReputationRep:
    I am totally against the death penalty
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm glad they renewed this documentary series. The last series was really interesting, and this one has been equally so.

It concerns me that in the last episode where the perspectives of jurors was seen, one caved in to opting for the death penalty because she knew the others were so set on it and wouldn't change their minds. That was irrelevant, because all she had to do was hold out herself and there would have been a stalemate, in which case the death penalty wouldn't have been able to go ahead. It had to be all 12 jurors agreeing or it wasn't viable. That was my understanding anyway.

The first episode was even more fascinating in how there were grounds to suggest manslaughter rather than murder, but the defendant just wanted things to be over with so didn't use any of his appeals. Some would say this indicated his guilt in committing murder - but I think he was screwed either way because it was a police officer who died. The Americans are utterly unforgiving when it comes to their law enforcement being attacked.

Great series anyway. Can't wait to see the rest of the episodes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.