Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, what is the difference between a masters degree and a bachelors degree, i thought you would have to complete a bachelors degree first before you can do a masters but on university websites its implying that you can apply for a masters without a bachelor degree as the entry requirements to do a masters are just A levels. BTW I'm applying for petroleum engineering.

ReputationRep:
    It's probably an integrated masters which is seen as inbetween a bachelors degree and a masters degree.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Manexopi)
    It's probably an integrated masters which is seen as inbetween a bachelors degree and a masters degree.
    You are correct about the first part but regarding the second part an integrated masters is seen as equal to a postgraduate masters in engineering.

ReputationRep:
    They're integrated masters which means they roll up your bachelors and masters education into one degree, partly due to industry/accreditation demand, partly due to Europe and partly due to the difference in funding between undergrad and postgrad.

You probably won't be taught the exact same stuff as if you did a bachelor's then a masters though, you'll have a two year common core and then likely split off in third year with bachelors students doing their individual research project and MEng students doing a group project or a smaller individual project. Someone doing a postgraduate masters will also do a greater number of credits in their 4th year, 180 credits compared to 120 (you do your project throughout the summer and not so much during term time so this doesn't lead to as big an increase in workload as you'd think)
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by uchihaitachi0023)
    Hi, what is the difference between a masters degree and a bachelors degree, i thought you would have to complete a bachelors degree first before you can do a masters but on university websites its implying that you can apply for a masters without a bachelor degree as the entry requirements to do a masters are just A levels. BTW I'm applying for petroleum engineering.
    Hey there,

So, those before me have answered it very well, but I shall give you some personal experience.

Again, as has been said, it will be an integrated Master's. A Master's is considered the level above a Bachelor's and can help with many different things. The benefit of an integrated Master's is that once you're accepted, you don't need to worry about applying to get onto a different Master's program, and the majority of integrated courses will be shorter in length than first doing a Bachelor's and then doing a post-grad Master's.

Things will differ from university to university and country to country. Here in Scotland, we do a 5 year integrated Master's course or a 4 year Bachelor's. Only in our 4th year do the Bachelor's/Master's students change what they're studying, the firsts three years is the same for everyone. One of the reasons for this is in case those in the Bachelor's degree change their mind and want to do a Master's, or they may start bringing their grades up so they're then eligible for the Master's.

Back to your original question, a Master's degree is further education after a Bachelor's degree. It can often include more research work, and can help with getting a job in academia or aiming towards a managerial position, amongst others.

Hope this helps!

Scott
    Undergraduate Rep
    School of Engineering

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.