Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

would it be crazy to marry my girlfriend whilst I'm at school? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What might happen if you simply continue to be a committed couple for the next few years? Do you and your girlfriend have the funds available for a wedding? Say you got married this weekend, what would change about your relationship/living circumstances/outlook on life?

My advice would be to wait until you can adequately address all of the above. The potential for regret far outweighs the immediate benefits here.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    so.... some people are going to think this is insane but please try and be open minded.
    before I begin: we can legally get married here in Scotland as I'm 16 and she's 17 (will be 18 by the time we do it if we do), and the law here is that everyone over the age of 16 can get married without parental permission, including gay couples (which we are obviously lol).
    so... me and my girlfriend want to get married. it started out as a joke but now it's become quite serious. we've been together three months but if we did go through with this we would have been together 8 or 9 by the time we got married.
    I know that we're young and everything but I'm so sure about this, I really, really love her. and I know that'll we'll stay together. I know that a lot of people will be reading this and thinking that it's insane etc, and I swear four months ago that would have been me, but now I swear I've never been as sure about anything else than I am that we should get married. she really wants to too.
    but... we are still very young. she's going to uni in September and I'm in fifth year currently doing my highers.
    I'm good in school and am hoping to go to a very competitive uni, and she has unconditionals from a number of unis including Saint Andrews - so it's not like we're a young couple who are just going to have kids young and ruin our lives or whatever.
    some people will say this is insane. and I understand why they would, but honestly, i am so increadibly in love. I want this so badly. we would keep it a secret of course, and after finishing uni would have a proper ceremony and everything- before that only we will know that we're married.
    would it be completely nuts to finish my highers, get secretly married in summer, and come back into sixth year as a married woman? like is that insane ? because I can see that it is crazy... but at the same time I so, so want to.
    if we did get married, would anyone have to find out? do they ask anything to do with that on ucas?

lol. I know this is nuts... try and be open minded though. I'm very very deeply in love.
    No it's way too early 1 year + then I'd possibly think differently but id still wait until I'd finished education and your still very young live your life a bit then get married hell you probably don't even live together that, would be a good idea but do wait until after your highers it'll be much easier then .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc101)
    It would be insane. I'm sorry. But it would be crazy.

You've only been together 3 months, you are, by definition, in the infatuation stage. You feel like you love each other, but so early on you can't differentiate love from infatuation. Even people in their 20s and 30s can't, so as a teenager when your emotions run much higher it's impossible.

Why on earth would you want to get married now? It seems like you want to make some grand gesture to show off to people; if you tally think your relationship is genuine there's no need to make a big song and dance of trying to make people believe it. You've not even finished school, you've got so much you need to do with your life and you are going to change SO much in the next 10 years. I'm 26 and a different person to who I was 3 years ago, let alone who I was at 16! And similarly, I've been in love with people before and thought it was the real deal... And now I look back and think 'What on earth was I thinking?'

It's not just a cliche: you ARE far too young to make the decision to take the step of marriage now.
    Op you should take this advice it is really good. If she is at uni and living away will you see her much? i don't see the point in marrying her now if you are planning to have a proper ceremony after, will you both still feel the same when you are older and more mature if you can last till after uni definitely go for it properly.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to get married to prove your love, you can just be together? You know you're going to be together for a really long time so why do you have to prove it with a ring or a piece of paper?

ReputationRep:
    Let me get this straight.

You're sixteen and your partner is seventeen, you've been together for three months and you want to get married? Are you insane? Do you even know what marriage even entails? Both of you have only recently started to sleep with the light off and now you want to get married? Without any education, any job prospects, any ideas on where and how you're going to live together? Do you even know how to do your taxes? Do you know how mortgages work? Do you know how to apply for social and medical security? Do you know how to prepare a meal that isn't microwaved? Both of you most likely don't know any of these things. You're two upstart kids with an idea of "love" in your head. Utter insanity.

You need to spend more time with this person. Get an education. Get to know how the actual, adult world works. Figure out where you want to go in life and how will you go about achieving it. Marriage is a serious institution and entails lifelong and devout commitment and you can't possibly say you can get married in the right mind if you've only known your partner for a few months. People change over time. You don't know how your mutual life is going to look like, where you'll both be in a year, let alone five. Love can seem all fun and games when you're living separate lives, but when you actually share a household with someone, when you share every issue and trouble, mundane or important, it can be daunting.

Wait until you finish your degree and get a stable, decent paying job with good opportunities and then consider marriage. Even then, you'll need to make sure you know where you're going to live, how will you share duties and responsibilities, write wills and last wishes and settle possible eventualities with an attorney. Then, and only then can you get married in the right mindset with a proper blend of love, responsibility and maturity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Withengar)

You're sixteen and your partner is seventeen, you've been together for three months and you want to get married? Are you insane? Do you even know what marriage even entails? Both of you have only recently started to sleep with the light off and now you want to get married? Without any education, any job prospects, any ideas on where and how you're going to live together? Do you even know how to do your taxes? Do you know how mortgages work? Do you know how to apply for social and medical security? Do you know how to prepare a meal that isn't microwaved? Both of you most likely don't know any of these things. You're two upstart kids with an idea of "love" in your head. Utter insanity.

You need to spend more time with this person. Get an education. Get to know how the actual, adult world works. Figure out where you want to go in life and how will you go about achieving it. Marriage is a serious institution and entails lifelong and devout commitment and you can't possibly say you can get married in the right mind if you've only known your partner for a few months. People change over time. You don't know how your mutual life is going to look like, where you'll both be in a year, let alone five. Love can seem all fun and games when you're living separate lives, but when you actually share a household with someone, when you share every issue and trouble, mundane or important, it can be daunting.

Wait until you finish your degree and get a stable, decent paying job with good opportunities and then consider marriage. Even then, you'll need to make sure you know where you're going to live, how will you share duties and responsibilities, write wills and last wishes and settle possible eventualities with an attorney. Then, and only then can you get married in the right mindset with a proper blend of love, responsibility and maturity.
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    so.... some people are going to think this is insane but please try and be open minded.
    before I begin: we can legally get married here in Scotland as I'm 16 and she's 17 (will be 18 by the time we do it if we do), and the law here is that everyone over the age of 16 can get married without parental permission, including gay couples (which we are obviously lol).
    so... me and my girlfriend want to get married. it started out as a joke but now it's become quite serious. we've been together three months but if we did go through with this we would have been together 8 or 9 by the time we got married.
    I know that we're young and everything but I'm so sure about this, I really, really love her. and I know that'll we'll stay together. I know that a lot of people will be reading this and thinking that it's insane etc, and I swear four months ago that would have been me, but now I swear I've never been as sure about anything else than I am that we should get married. she really wants to too.
    but... we are still very young. she's going to uni in September and I'm in fifth year currently doing my highers.
    I'm good in school and am hoping to go to a very competitive uni, and she has unconditionals from a number of unis including Saint Andrews - so it's not like we're a young couple who are just going to have kids young and ruin our lives or whatever.
    some people will say this is insane. and I understand why they would, but honestly, i am so increadibly in love. I want this so badly. we would keep it a secret of course, and after finishing uni would have a proper ceremony and everything- before that only we will know that we're married.
    would it be completely nuts to finish my highers, get secretly married in summer, and come back into sixth year as a married woman? like is that insane ? because I can see that it is crazy... but at the same time I so, so want to.
    if we did get married, would anyone have to find out? do they ask anything to do with that on ucas?

lol. I know this is nuts... try and be open minded though. I'm very very deeply in love.
    Honestly, out of everything in this post the biggest factor is how you've been together 3 bloody months.

I've been in a relationship with someone over a year, we were best friends for a few years before that relationship. We would talk about being friends for life or getting married and all that, we broke up and now we don't even talk.

I mean for most relationships for 16/17 year olds my story is a pretty positive one for it to have lasted that long, of course there's some who have been together like 2 or 3 years at that age but even they aren't thinking of getting married.

At 3 months, you'd be hard pressed to justify saying 'I love you' let alone actually getting married.

ReputationRep:
    i think it is rather sweet in an old-fashioned kind of way ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Withengar)

:rofl: Good one

ReputationRep:
    if you're going to still be together in 5 years when you're both through uni and working you will be regardless of whether you married or not... so why not wait til then so you can be sure in your decision? you may love each other but university and life changes will change both of you and put pressure on your relationship, give yourself time to see if you grow apart or together

ReputationRep:
    You're infatuated, give it a year or two

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I very much doubt that you are deeply in love. But it is very easy to confuse infatutation with love.

You're not at an age to go to uni or clubbing or wherever so you haven't seen what's out there.

ReputationRep:
    My god. At least finish higher education first.

ReputationRep:
    x

This is you OP posting this thread...

http://img.memecdn.com/midnight_o_930706.jpg

ReputationRep:
    You could get engaged but wait until you have finished college/uní, get financially secure then if you both still want to, get married.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.