Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    OMG I'M LOSING MY MIND I'VE FORGOTTEN BASIC MATHS I UNDERSTOOD THIS LIKE A MONTH AGO NOW WHEN I DO M1 AFTER AGES I'VE FORGOTTEN. I'm going to seem really stupid :/ but can anyone explain why it's F = 2Tcos45 Why am I stuck on the easy things

The hypotenuse is F, and so shouldn't it be Fcos45 = T x2 so F = 2T/cos45?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KINGYusuf)
    OMG I'M LOSING MY MIND I'VE FORGOTTEN BASIC MATHS I UNDERSTOOD THIS LIKE A MONTH AGO NOW WHEN I DO M1 AFTER AGES I'VE FORGOTTEN. I'm going to seem really stupid :/ but can anyone explain why it's F = 2Tcos45 Why am I stuck on the easy things

The hypotenuse is F, and so shouldn't it be Fcos45 = T x2 so F = 2T/cos45?
    The hypotenuse of T isn't F, the hypotenuse of the resultant off boths T's is F.

Resolve each tension force separately, then add both forces together. Seen as the tensions are equal, you can just times by 2, as they resolve the same horizontally and vertically.

Name:  img029.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  503.0 KB
    Attached Images

(Original post by KloppOClock)
    The hypotenuse of T isn't F, the hypotenuse of the resultant off boths T's is F.

Resolve each tension force separately, then add both forces together. Seen as the tensions are equal, you can just times by 2, as they resolve the same horizontally and vertically.

Name:  img029.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  503.0 KB
    Diagrams looking good bro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marxist)
    Diagrams looking good bro
    ha thanks

ReputationRep:
    3c is pretty rude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Why is there no normal reaction here ?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marccs)
    Why is there no normal reaction here ?
    reactions only occur when an object is in contact with a plane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hogree)
    3c is pretty rude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got 9 <f <18 (
    Do you know the answer?

ReputationRep:
    reactions only occur when an object is in contact with a plane.
    Thank You

ReputationRep:
    M1 Jan 2013 --> 65/75 = 82% = A.
    I felt I honestly deserved a A* on this paper but Q3 = :shot: but lesson learnt in future resolving questions. :sigh:

Mistakes & tips for future past papers:
    - lost 2 marks on vectors because I didn't realise that if a vector is west its j component is zero and also to draw a clear diagram with what they are asking for.
    - I lost a full 8/8 marks on Q3 because I :dontknow: how to resolve it until after I looked at the solutions

I'll be recording every past paper score that I do and my overall notes/opinion on that past paper.

Past papers completed = 3/13. (edexcel regular + edexcel IAL) [excluding x2 MAM pp closer to exam date]
    I know I'm running behind :work: .... :cry2: ^

Spoiler:
    Show
    Past paper scores: 80% (A), 80% (A), 82% (A) + ...

ReputationRep:
    Guys say if I have a question like the one below where they are not separately marked (this was out of 10 for getting both answers) does it matter which answer I get first, e.g. can I find M first and then the force exerted at P or do I have to do the order they give?

(a) (i) find the magnitude of the force exerted on the plank by the support at P,
    (ii) find the value of M

(Original post by ozzie2)
    Guys say if I have a question like the one below where they are not separately marked (this was out of 10 for getting both answers) does it matter which answer I get first, e.g. can I find M first and then the force exerted at P or do I have to do the order they give?

(a) (i) find the magnitude of the force exerted on the plank by the support at P,
    (ii) find the value of M
    Yes you will lose marks in most if not all cases.

ReputationRep:
    really?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    What are some of the hardest past papers people have come across for M1? Doesn't have to be Edexcel (and I'd prefer non-Edexcel ones, since I think I've done the hard ones from that )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 83457)
    What are some of the hardest past papers people have come across for M1? Doesn't have to be Edexcel (and I'd prefer non-Edexcel ones, since I think I've done the hard ones from that )
    here
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Mechanics 1 Practice Paper 4.pdf (509.4 KB, 80 views)

ReputationRep:
    here
    I'm scared to even open this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    I'm scared to even open this.
    haha its a paper that cryptokyo made, question 2 is rock solid.

ReputationRep:
    When can you assume that the reaction forces at two supports are the same? Is it only when the questions tell you they are, otherwise always assume they are not the same magnitude?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 83457)
    Recent AQA papers, and also Delphis ones.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.