Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metrize)
    I would have just resolved 9.8 with the angle they gave, would it have been the same answer?
    answer is 8.49

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    Just marking the M1 Solomon Paper D that I did and I have a question about the mark scheme:

Attachment 544237

Surely it would also depend upon the size of the stone as well? How can you say the tennis ball will have more wind resistance if they don't state the size or shape of the stone?

Would I get any marks for my answer?

"The minimum speed required would be different depending upon the mass of either object as the resultant force of 'F' in F=MA would change which would effect the acceleration as they have different masses, therefore more or less speed may be required."
    bumping cuz new page

ReputationRep:
    bumping cuz new page
    I think you would, you talked about the forces and acceleration in any scenario

ReputationRep:
    I think you would, you talked about the forces and acceleration in any scenario
    i know but the mark scheme talks about size of the surface area of the tennis ball, but how could you know if the surface area of the tennis ball is bigger than the stone?

ReputationRep:
    i know but the mark scheme talks about size of the surface area of the tennis ball, but how could you know if the surface area of the tennis ball is bigger than the stone?
    Well if he dislodged the stone with his foot it has to be quite small i think, quite vague though

ReputationRep:
    M1 is bad enough without Solomon being thrown into the mix... XD

ReputationRep:
    Well if he dislodged the stone with his foot it has to be quite small i think, quite vague though

he might be a massive ****er tho

ReputationRep:
    he might be a massive ****er tho
    Yeah exactly, so i dunno

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Which Edexcel M1 papers would you say are the hardest? I've done a few here and there but I do not have time to run through all of them before Wednesday as I have another exam on the same day. I'm currently doing Bronze, Silver and Gold papers and would particularly like to do the previously published hard m1 papers. What do you suggest?

ReputationRep:
    Who's doing all the Solomon papers tomorrow and Tuesday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasx_)
    Hi guys,

Which Edexcel M1 papers would you say are the hardest? I've done a few here and there but I do not have time to run through all of them before Wednesday as I have another exam on the same day. I'm currently doing Bronze, Silver and Gold papers and would particularly like to do the previously published hard m1 papers. What do you suggest?
    Gold 5 is the hardest. If you're on about non-gold papers then I think January 2009 had the lowest grade boundaries as it was a hard one. June 2009 was also meant to be hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by particlestudent)
    Who's doing all the Solomon papers tomorrow and Tuesday?
    nearly done em all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasx_)
    Hi guys,

Try the IAL M1 papers

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me with this Q? I don't get it at all

r = ro + vt
    so therefore t = (r-ro)/v

So t = 12-11j-(4i +j) / 2i-3j

t = 8i-12j/2i-3j

Mark scheme got t = 4 I don't understand !!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KINGYusuf)
    Can someone help me with this Q? I don't get it at all

r = ro + vt
    so therefore t = (r-ro)/v

So t = 12-11j-(4i +j) / 2i-3j

t = 8i-12j/2i-3j

Mark scheme got t = 4 I don't understand !!

(4+2t)i + (1-3t)j = (12i-11j)

compare i or j component

4+2t = 12
    2t = 8
    t = 4

ReputationRep:
    nearly done em all!
    That's good. I've nearly done all theC3 ones, but not M1.

I've only done paper A for M1 and I thought it was quite easy for a Solomon paper. Do you recommend I do them all? Or are there some tricky ones in particular....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by particlestudent)
    That's good. I've nearly done all theC3 ones, but not M1.

I've only done paper A for M1 and I thought it was quite easy for a Solomon paper. Do you recommend I do them all? Or are there some tricky ones in particular....
    eh i think they all generally have the same difficulty, if you dont have time to do them all, just go through the papers and cherry pick the questions you find hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzie2)
    Guys say if I have a question like the one below where they are not separately marked (this was out of 10 for getting both answers) does it matter which answer I get first, e.g. can I find M first and then the force exerted at P or do I have to do the order they give?

(a) (i) find the magnitude of the force exerted on the plank by the support at P,
    (ii) find the value of M
    Either order is fine, but just label them well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    Either order is fine, but just label them well.
    can you get the marks if part of your method is in the previous part of the question?

ReputationRep:
    bumping cuz new page
    I did this one recently, that whole question had alot of weirdness....regarding your question yeah I think the answer is nonsense...there are a couple other things that could be put that make sense...

did you get part C?

How can you input 's' as the original distance when it says before it hits thr water?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.