Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    can you get the marks if part of your method is in the previous part of the question?
    Yes as long as you use it in the right part of the question, i.e. do the work in part b which is actually used in part c. But you won't get marks for part d if you do it in part e.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philo-jitsu)
    I did this one recently, that whole question had alot of weirdness....regarding your question yeah I think the answer is nonsense...there are a couple other things that could be put that make sense...

did you get part C?

How can you input 's' as the original distance when it says before it hits thr water?
    You know the stone reaches the water at 5 seconds, and the tennis ball gets thrown after 2 seconds, therefore the tennis ball has 3 seconds to get to the water at the same time as the ball. So t=3

U=U

You don't need final velocity..

A = 9.8 due to gravity

And you use the exact same S.

ReputationRep:
    I did this one recently, that whole question had alot of weirdness....regarding your question yeah I think the answer is nonsense...there are a couple other things that could be put that make sense...

did you get part C?

How can you input 's' as the original distance when it says before it hits thr water?
    Think of it as just before it hits the water.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KINGYusuf)
    Anyone?
    i thought i answered that before?

ReputationRep:
    i thought i answered that before?
    That's a diff one, ty for the other

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?
    What's the question?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?
    Find the vector for getting from r0 to r. Work out its magnitude. Compare this with 4, e.g if the magnitude was 12 (which it isn't) the time would be 12/4 = 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    What's the question?
    This
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    Find the vector for getting from r0 to r. Work out its magnitude. Compare this with 4, e.g if the magnitude was 12 (which it isn't) the time would be 12/4 = 3.

it's 2.5

ReputationRep:
    it's 2.5

Its because the speed is not a vector....so you find the length between points.... -2 and 6 is 8...and -3 and 3 is 6....do pythagorus and distance is 10....at 4ms it takes 2.5 seconds

ReputationRep:
    You know the stone reaches the water at 5 seconds, and the tennis ball gets thrown after 2 seconds, therefore the tennis ball has 3 seconds to get to the water at the same time as the ball. So t=3

U=U

You don't need final velocity..

A = 9.8 due to gravity

And you use the exact same S.
    Thanks,,,,I get that but its just the wording of the question, it doesnt say it collides 'just' before hitting the water....it just says before...so the distance travelled could be much less....which gives an extra variable.

The wording in some mechanics questions are a little confusing

ReputationRep:
    Thanks,,,,I get that but its just the wording of the question, it doesnt say it collides 'just' before hitting the water....it just says before...so the distance travelled could be much less....which gives an extra variable.

The wording in some mechanics questions are a little confusing
    yh i know what you mean, but its saying whats the minimum starting speed it can start at so that it still collides before it hits the water. Sure it could go faster and collide before the water, but you want to know the smallest value, which means the colission will just happen as it collides with the water

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    Think of it as just before it hits the water.
    Yeah I guess...I just dont think we should be expected to presume things like that...the question says before, which could be at any time before so distance varies.

With mechanics questions sometimes expecting you to answer in terms of variables such as U or h, I try not to presume the distance is the same, but anyway cheers :-)

ReputationRep:
    yh i know what you mean, but its saying whats the minimum starting speed it can start at so that it still collides before it hits the water. Sure it could go faster and collide before the water, but you want to know the smallest value, which means the colission will just happen as it collides with the water
    Oh damn...thats it, minimum, crap didnt catch that...thank you thats been bugging me for days!

ReputationRep:
    Oh damn...thats it, minimum, crap didnt catch that...thank you thats been bugging me for days!
    no problem, but remember these are solomon papers, edexcel questions are a lot more straight forward to understand.

... unless your doing AQA then good luck!

ReputationRep:
    For questions involving combined particles, like lifts how do you know which forces to use to find the resultant and whether you use the total mass of the system or just the mass of the lift?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tizzydag)
    For questions involving combined particles, like lifts how do you know which forces to use to find the resultant and whether you use the total mass of the system or just the mass of the lift?
    Thanks
    can you give an example of a question? normally the question tells you

ReputationRep:
    no problem, but remember these are solomon papers, edexcel questions are a lot more straight forward to understand.

... unless your doing AQA then good luck!
    No edexcel...is aqa harder? I heard the core exams are easier for AQA?

Yeah hoping they are straight forward, Im doing physics so I shouldnt be struggling with M1 this much, I just find because of physics I fly through the majority of questions without thinking, then a difficult question comes up and I miss something as simple as the 'minimum' velocity...its worrying lol

ReputationRep:
    No edexcel...is aqa harder? I heard the core exams are easier for AQA?

Yeah hoping they are straight forward, Im doing physics so I shouldnt be struggling with M1 this much, I just find because of physics I fly through the majority of questions without thinking, then a difficult question comes up and I miss something as simple as the 'minimum' velocity...its worrying lol
    i wouldn't say harder, just a lot more wordier. The thing with M1 tho, is that if you make a tiny mistake in your calculator, you can lose a lot of accuarcy marks in the big questions

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.