Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    On a side note, does anybody know what ums you need for an 'A' grade overall after a2 maths. I think its 480/600 but was wondering if there are any other conditions, like the 90% on c3,c4 to get an A*
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Tizzydag)
    On a side note, does anybody know what ums you need for an 'A' grade overall after a2 maths. I think its 480/600 but was wondering if there are any other conditions, like the 90% on c3,c4 to get an A*
    Anything other than an A* is the straightforward 'get 80% of total UMS for A, 70% for B... etc'.

ReputationRep:
    M1 June 2013 --> 59/75 = 85% = A.
    I felt I honestly deserved a lot more marks due to the areas where I slipped up. :argh: It was a easy paper with extremely low grade boundaries A* = 62, A = 56, B = 50, C = 44.

Mistakes & tips for future past papers:
    - Moments: Draw a 2nd diagram for moments as-well as in general and refer back to reading the original question context. When finding distance of e.g AB in moments consider what lengths are already given then do (X- what ever length is further beyond it to give you AB *look back at question paper for reference*) = -5 marks lost on Q6 which I could have easily got.
    - Vectors: When finding vectors parallel to (i, k) components refer back to the original position vectors given and write them in column forms and compare the i + j components. Also, if something is parallel to another vector its just a scale factor so put 'Lamba' or 'Mew' and just rearrange/sub the i/j component into each other. ----> -3 marks lost

I'll be recording every past paper score that I do and my overall notes/opinion on that past paper.

Past papers completed = 4/11. (edexcel regular + edexcel IAL)
    [excluding x2 MAM pp + MAM Q's/Examples on topics I'm dropping marks on @ day before exam]

Spoiler:
    Show
    Past paper scores: 80% (A), 80% (A), 82% (A) + 85% (A) + ...

Q) Can somebody clarify whether what I said in the Vector notes I wrote above are correct in terms of my thinking/reasoning if its correct.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know a method for working out the force on a pulley when there are 2 inclined slopes involved?

ReputationRep:
    lads is there like a list with the grade boundaries for every m1 paper?

I'm trying to find the hardest m1 papers I since I plan to do about 4 tomorrow. I already know about gold papers. Now I'm just looking for a year where the paper in general was dodgy

(Original post by RedDevil1997)
    Does anyone know a method for working out the force on a pulley when there are 2 inclined slopes involved?
    Isn't it the exact same way as a normal pulley question? Working out the tension takes slightly longer. But working out the force on a pulley is done using the same method as if there was only 1 inclined slope. So still just 2Tcos(half of the angle).

But someone correct me if I'm wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucabrasi98)
    lads is there like a list with the grade boundaries for every m1 paper?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Should be here matey
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6i...w?usp=drivesdk

ReputationRep:
    I know all the topics really well but always lose 10-12 marks in papers i NEED to get FULL UMS any tips/advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlvlVictim)
    I know all the topics really well but always lose 10-12 marks in papers i NEED to get FULL UMS any tips/advice?
    Remember all the questions you get wrong and make a paper of them....make sure you understand the concept of the method....getting something wrong shows a lack in knowledge...so find out where your gap in knowledge os and correct it..

If you drop marks because of a dumb error (i do all the time) then i wouldnt worry too much as past papers are usually done at the end of a long day of revision...your brain is tired and your less focused, just make sure you dont go into exams too exhausted and your alot kess likely to make silly errors

ReputationRep:
    cheers. Looking manually at every grade boundary for all my maths units was taking way too long

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me, or - you know the questions with a part i) and ii), I always end up solving the ii) part first! Will this be a problem in the real thing?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I'm just wondering (because I'm awful at Vectors lol) what is the same for when, say 2 particles collide or when 2 ships meet?

Is t the same for both?
    The distance?

I have no idea I've seen questions where I've used both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KINGYusuf)
    Hi guys I'm just wondering (because I'm awful at Vectors lol) what is the same for when, say 2 particles collide or when 2 ships meet?

Is t the same for both?
    The distance?

The position vector is the same when they meet....everythung else is likely different

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philo-jitsu)
    The position vector is the same when they meet....everythung else is likely different
    okay thank you sorry for sounding dumb lol

ReputationRep:

Is t the same for both?
    The distance?

if they set off at the same time then they will meet at the same time when they have the same S value

(Original post by Person18)
    Is it just me, or - you know the questions with a part i) and ii), I always end up solving the ii) part first! Will this be a problem in the real thing?
    Try to get rid of that habit - you can lose quite a lot of marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    if they set off at the same time then they will meet at the same time when they have the same S value
    What if their velocities are different?

ReputationRep:
    I hate vectors i cannot do them. What are the different things they will ask you to work out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If they collide, they collide you know? It doesn't matter if they were going at different velocities; they still collided at the same time!

ReputationRep:
    it doesnt matter if their velocities are different. You know that at the time they meet they have the same value of R in R= r0+vt.

Unless you mean the question "but if they have different velocities, how do we know that they ever meet?", well it would tell you in the question that they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    it doesnt matter if their velocities are different. You know that at the time they meet they have the same value of R in R= r0+vt.

Unless you mean the question "but if they have different velocities, how do we know that they ever meet?", well it would tell you in the question that they do.
    Thank you very much, sorry I'm just really bad at Vectors lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.