The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Is it alright to write unit vectors as i or j with a circumflex/hat, like î?
if a rod is at the point of tipping about a support, do the reactions of the supports equal to 0?
Original post by Kamara7
Is it alright to write unit vectors as i or j with a circumflex/hat, like î?

that should be fine, i do it like that usually.
Original post by amelienine
if a rod is at the point of tipping about a support, do the reactions of the supports equal to 0?

When it says it tilting about a point where the support is - the other support will have a reaction equal to zero.

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Marxist
When it says it tilting about a point where the support is - the other support will have a reaction equal to zero.

Alright thank you!

Try question June 2013 Q6 - good example of this.
I've used June 2013 after 14-15 - seemed to have lost about 4 marks from a silly error. Slump.

If a beam is on two supports A and B, and the beam is on the point of tilting about B, then the magnitude of the reaction of the support at A will be 0N. If you then decide to take moments about the support B, then you can ignore this reaction force also :smile: This is useful if you're trying to work out the mass of a weight at some point on the beam for example, since you don't have to worry about either support's reaction force!
Original post by Marxist
I've used June 2013 after 14-15 - seemed to have lost about 4 marks from a silly error. Slump.

Dang nice one! June 13 was a bad year for maths past papers xD Hoping they don't pull that again this year...
Original post by Don Pedro K.
Dang nice one! June 13 was a bad year for maths past papers xD Hoping they don't pull that again this year...

Nah, what annoyed me was a silly error otherwise I wouldn't mind.
I am freaking out... I can't do this
In a pulley is the component of weight always opposite to motion?
Reply 493
Original post by ryandaniels2015
In a pulley is the component of weight always opposite to motion?

not necessarily, one end of the pulley goes down when the other end goes up
Original post by candol
not necessarily, one end of the pulley goes down when the other end goes up

Sorry i meant the one on the plane?
Reply 495
Sorry i meant the one on the plane?

hi, not necessarily in that case either. Often the question will tell you explicitly which way movement is occurring or will give you a big clue.
Clearly if the plane is horizontal the weight over the edge will move down.
The slope question could see movement either way.
Ok thanks, but if travelling up the plane, the component of weight will be down?
Original post by candol
hi, not necessarily in that case either. Often the question will tell you explicitly which way movement is occurring or will give you a big clue.
Clearly if the plane is horizontal the weight over the edge will move down.
The slope question could see movement either way.
Reply 497
Hello guys, I really dont have time to read all those pages lol. If someone could tell me what important stuff has been said about the exam e.g. Predictions etc. that would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Ok thanks, but if travelling up the plane, the component of weight will be down and if travelling down the plane in the opposite direction?
Ok thanks, but if travelling up the plane, the component of weight will be down?
Reply 499
Ok thanks, but if travelling up the plane, the component of weight will be down and if travelling down the plane in the opposite direction?

the component of weight is always down. may be positive or negative force in f=ma depending on direction of movement

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending