Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The likelihood of this happening is slim, but what would you lot do if there was a question about pulleys where instead of it being smooth it was rough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    Question Three:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Apply F=MA to both objects, solve simultaneously to eliminate T and find A.

Use suvat to find final velocity of B as it hits the ground.

Use F=MA on A after B has landed where friction is the only force to find new acceleration.

Apply SUVAT to A using U as your old final velocity, V as 0, A as your new velocity, and S as the unknown.

Question Two:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Forces acting on A?

R (/\) R>0.4g

Apply F=MA

R-0.4g = 0.4 x 0.5

Question One:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    V^2=U^2 + 2as
    V^2 =2(2g/5)0.25

Sub V, M and U into I=M(V-U)
    -What are the forces acting on block B.
    -Wouldnt the impulse exerted on the ground be 0 because mv-mu would be 0 for the ground.

Thanx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fpmaniac)
    -What are the forces acting on block B.
    -Wouldnt the impulse exerted on the ground be 0 because mv-mu would be 0 for the ground.

Thanx
    The B hits the ground at speed, so it exerts some force onto the ground otherwise it would just carry on travelling through it

ReputationRep:
    The B hits the ground at speed, so it exerts some force onto the ground otherwise it would just carry on travelling through it
    That makes sense. Did you manage to solve the last on on there:

http://postimg.org/image/vjsrjckjv

ReputationRep:
    Question Three:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Apply F=MA to both objects, solve simultaneously to eliminate T and find A.

Use suvat to find final velocity of B as it hits the ground.

Use F=MA on A after B has landed where friction is the only force to find new acceleration.

Apply SUVAT to A using U as your old final velocity, V as 0, A as your new velocity, and S as the unknown.

Question Two:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Forces acting on A?

R (/\) R>0.4g

Apply F=MA

R-0.4g = 0.4 x 0.5

Question One:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    V^2=U^2 + 2as
    V^2 =2(2g/5)0.25

Sub V, M and U into I=M(V-U)
    bro wat did u get fr da value of impulse
    4.2Ns?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone done June 2010 question 8c) ? need help with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fpmaniac)
    Anyone done June 2010 question 8c) ? need help with it
    http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level...8&solution=8.2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pavinder100)
    The likelihood of this happening is slim, but what would you lot do if there was a question about pulleys where instead of it being smooth it was rough
    Maybe sue edexcel😂 In M1 we always assume pulleys are smooth

ReputationRep:
    Is it best to do the gold m1 papers and IAl papers
    Or should I just do every past papers from 2015 downwards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mani119)
    Is it best to do the gold m1 papers and IAl papers
    Or should I just do every past papers from 2015 downwards
    gold papers are good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EpicTree)
    gold papers are good
    I forgot to write solomon papers aswell.
    How helpful do you think m1 solomon papers are?
    I personally think they ask much harder questions which won't come up in the exams unlike c1 and c2 solomon papers

ReputationRep:
    Can someone recommend me several tough papers to do (past papers and IAL). Which years have been the hardest...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mani119)
    I forgot to write solomon papers aswell.
    How helpful do you think m1 solomon papers are?
    I personally think they ask much harder questions which won't come up in the exams unlike c1 and c2 solomon papers
    In my personal opinion the soloman papers are a waste of time, the questions on solomans are more difficult than what you are actually going to get. All it will do is knock your confidence as it did mine. I'm resitting all 3 modules this year in maths (c1, c2 and m1) and having done c1 and c2 again this year doing all the past papers and gold papers prepared me more than enough for the exam. The solomans that I did last year when I did badly didn't help me all they did is throw my confidence. So If I were you just do the gold papers, I feel as I start with the first gold paper I start of not the best peaking at the markscheme but by the time you finish gold 4/5 you are really confident with the whole module so I think it's great to prep you.

But some people do advocate for solomans but I really dont unless you've literally done every past question from edexcel several times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EpicTree)
    In my personal opinion the soloman papers are a waste of time, the questions on solomans are more difficult than what you are actually going to get. All it will do is knock your confidence as it did mine. I'm resitting all 3 modules this year in maths (c1, c2 and m1) and having done c1 and c2 again this year doing all the past papers and gold papers prepared me more than enough for the exam. The solomans that I did last year when I did badly didn't help me all they did is throw my confidence. So If I were you just do the gold papers, I feel as I start with the first gold paper I start of not the best peaking at the markscheme but by the time you finish gold 4/5 you are really confident with the whole module so I think it's great to prep you.

But some people do advocate for solomans but I really dont unless you've literally done every past question from edexcel several times
    Solomon worked really well for C1 for me. For M1 I've only done paper A and it was far easier than an IAL paper, which I've only done one of too

Are there any certain papers I should do, or should I just do the IAL ones and the Gold papers?

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone explain this question from Solomon Paper F?

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  129.1 KB

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by particlestudent)
    Solomon worked really well for C1 for me. For M1 I've only done paper A and it was far easier than an IAL paper, which I've only done one of too

Are there any certain papers I should do, or should I just do the IAL ones and the Gold papers?
    I'm glad to hear they did work for you, for me though I felt like they didn't help me and just knocked my confidence. But for sure do all the past papers from 2009-2015, all atleast twice and then gold papers nearer the exam because they'rre the hardest questions over all the years. You can do soloman but the closet questions you will get are from actual past papers rather than solomans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oceankarma)

Thanks in advance
    part a So take moments about A. now you know that moment is perpendicular distance x force so the 4N and the 5N force do not contribute to the moment because they are parallel rather than perpendicular. SO if we take moments about A then

M(A) taking the anti clockwise direction as positive, then the net moment is
    (3N x 2) - (2N x 2) since length is 2m. SO net moment is 6-4=2N anticlockwise

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance
    The 5N and 4N forces are acting into and away from A respectively, so they create no moment about A. You therefore consider only the 2N and 3N forces, you've got the perpendicular distances.
    For the second part you need to consider the components of x. The vertical component of x must equal 3, and the horizontal component must equal 5

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance
    For part B take moments about D. remember the force X has a compontent in the direction CD and a horizontal force in the direction CB. So overall force acting along BC is 3N - Xcos45. and the overall force acting in the direction DC is 3N - Xsin45.

Now take moments about D.
    So as usual it is perpendicular distance times the force.

Taking anticlockwise as positive :
    M(D)= 5(2)-2(3 - Xcos45) = 10 - 6 + 2Xcos45 = 4 + X x sqrt(2)
    so 4 + X x sqrt(2) = 0
    X = X =-2root2

ReputationRep:
    Is impulse always in the direction yhe particle moves after the collision? Also wjats thrust in a tow bar

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.