Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Good luck guys hope you all do well.

ReputationRep:
    In part b of this question, why do we assume that the particle reaches a maximum height and then comes back down?

Name:  lol.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  49.6 KB

Anyone done M1 June 2015? Decent paper I thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    Attachment 545023

Where does it say that?
    On here 2C=A
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marccs)
    On here 2C=A
    Yeah; he set the tension at A as Tn, and so the tension at C will be 2Tn, since it is double the tension at A.

ReputationRep:
    In part b of this question, why do we assume that the particle reaches a maximum height and then comes back down?

Where do you find these papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedDevil1997)
    Where do you find these papers?
    http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_...kinematics.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou 😃

ReputationRep:
    If a particle is on the point of slipping down a plane, but is still in equilibrium, would that make the forces going down the slope be F = ma, or F = 0 ?

(Original post by amelienine)
    If a particle is on the point of slipping down a plane, but is still in equilibrium, would that make the forces going down the slope be F = ma, or F = 0 ?
    F=0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marxist)
    F=0
    thank you, so they only state that it's on the point of slipping down the plane to show which direction friction is right?

thank you, so they only that it's on the point of slipping down the plane to show which direction friction is right?
    I don't understand your question. Do you mean which direction friction is acting in? If it's on the point of slipping down the plane, It would act up the plane. Friction opposes motion, so if it was on the point of slipping up the plane it would oppose the motion - acting down the plane.

ReputationRep:
    When it says that, it is implying the particle is in equilibrium AND usually there is a frictional force acting in the opposite direction if it is a rough plane

ReputationRep:
    thank you, so they only state that it's on the point of slipping down the plane to show which direction friction is right?
    Yeah pretty much

ReputationRep:

Does anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marxist)
    I don't understand your question. Do you mean which direction friction is acting in? If it's on the point of slipping down the plane, It would act up the plane. Friction opposes motion, so if it was on the point of slipping up the plane it would oppose the motion - acting down the plane.
    I wanted to clarify if the only reason they're giving that piece of information - that's it's on the point of slipping down the plane - is to show which direction friction is acting in. Thank you!

I wanted to clarify if the only reason they're giving that piece of information - that's it's on the point of slipping down the plane - is to show which direction friction is acting in. Thank you!
    Precisely, that's exactly what they want you to know.

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting a levels this year ... Should I do stats or mechanics ? What's the difference?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAROX15)
    Its funny because they allow answers in terms of 'g'
    If you use 9.8, you've made an approximation so shouldn't give an exact answer.

If you keep the letter g in, you haven't made an approximation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dance25)
    I'm starting a levels this year ... Should I do stats or mechanics ? What's the difference?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    well stats is boring af

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.