Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    vectors questions are pretty much always the same i think. but id still rather have 7 questions so i can have more time to check answers
    Let's just hope it's easy. How have the C1 and C2 papers been?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by particlestudent)
    Let's just hope it's easy. How have the C1 and C2 papers been?
    c2 was pretty sound altho i messed up the discrimination question on c1 :/

you?

ReputationRep:
    is there a proof we need to learn for m1? I doubt it but I need to check

ReputationRep:
    For this question, why is it not possible to just say x + 9 = 41 --> X = 41 - 9 = 32N? I thought resultant forces are the sum of the other forces :/?

Name:  kik.JPG
Views: 78
Size:  34.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    c2 was pretty sound altho i messed up the discrimination question on c1 :/

you?
    I'm in A2 so I've got C3 and 4 this year, along with M1. I just have to do well in M1 tomorrow to make life easier in C4 .

I'm just working through Gold papers today, I don't know what else I can do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    For this question, why is it not possible to just say x + 9 = 41 --> X = 41 - 9 = 32N? I thought resultant forces are the sum of the other forces :/?

Views: 78
Size:  34.4 KB
    the forces are not acting in the same direction. You need to draw a force diagram (triangle in this case), showing the forces in series (one after the other). The resultant is the diagonal joining the start point to the end point

ReputationRep:
    Good luck for tomorrow guys I'm ******** it as always!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candol)
    the forces are not acting in the same direction. You need to draw a force diagram (triangle in this case), showing the forces in series (one after the other). The resultant is the diagonal joining the start point to the end point
    Ah alright, thanks

Also, is it just me being stupid (again) or is the equation for solving (-->) in this solution wrong? Surely it should be
    F + Rcos(60) = 30cos(30)?

Views: 79
Size:  17.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    Ah alright, thanks

Also, is it just me being stupid (again) or is the equation for solving (--> in this solution wrong? Surely it should be
    F + Rcos(60) = 30cos(30)?

Views: 79
Size:  17.1 KB
    that's the same thing

ReputationRep:
    that's the same thing
    But in their equation, F - 30cos(30) = Rcos(60) so F = Rcos(60) + 30cos(30)

but if it was F + Rcos(60) = 30cos(30) to begin with, F would = 30cos(30) - Rcos(60), which isn't the same as above?

ReputationRep:
    But in their equation, F - 30cos(30) = Rcos(60) so F = Rcos(60) + 30cos(30)

but if it was F + Rcos(60) = 30cos(30) to begin with, F would = 30cos(30) - Rcos(60), which isn't the same as above?
    quite right its not - do apologise. wasn't paying full attention. There equation looks right, but why would you draw 2 diagrams for a question?

ReputationRep:
    quite right its not - do apologise. wasn't paying full attention. There equation looks right, but why would you draw 2 diagrams for a question?
    Hmm I'm not sure :/ I have a feeling that it's wrong but I don't know to be honest! Zacken could you have a look?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I'm not sure :/ I have a feeling that it's wrong but I don't know to be honest! Zacken could you have a look?
    Have you got the original question - the diagram is fine, (it is BASIC forces) but you really should have everything on the one diagram. It is not obvious to me what the original question was (cant be statics, it would be moving down??)

ReputationRep:
    It's correct.

If you resolve to the right, you get F - 30 cos 30.

This is the resultant force to the right. The resultant force to the right is also given by R cos 60

So F - 30 \cos 30= R \cos 60.

They've been drawn on different diagrams for a reason, you're treating them as though they are the same diagram.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 13.15.24.png
Views: 141
Size:  208.7 KB sorry for the crap quality but does anyone know how to do this question? I can't find a mark scheme for it anywhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    It's correct.

If you resolve to the right, you get F - 30 cos 30.

This is the resultant force to the right. The resultant force to the right is also given by R cos 60

So F - 30 \cos 30= R \cos 60.

They've been drawn on different diagrams for a reason, you're treating them as though they are the same diagram.
    I see, I see. Why do we use two separate diagrams then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strom)
    Good luck for tomorrow guys I'm ******** it as always!!
    Ayy, optimism ftw

Post 666 and you mention triangle :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertolli1)
Size:  208.7 KB sorry for the crap quality but does anyone know how to do this question? I can't find a mark scheme for it anywhere
    part a) suvat
    s=h
    A=-9.8
    t=5
    u=20

partb)
    Find V using suvat for the first ball
    You can now work out 3/4 v for the second ball
    Do suvat with v=3/4V, u=w, a=9.8, s= height found from part a

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertolli1)
    For (a)

s = -h, u = 20, v = v, a = -9.8, t = 5

Shove into suvat and solve for h.

I see, I see. Why do we use two separate diagrams then?
    I wouldn't use two diagrams. I'd just say resultant to the right is F - 30 cos 30 and to the bottom is 30 sin 30 or w/e and work from there without using R.

ReputationRep:
    part a) suvat
    s=h
    A=-9.8
    t=5
    u=20
    Check your s.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.