The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

When a vector is A relative to B, is that the same as the vector BA? or is it the vector AB?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by candol
In this question you can use vector PQ from part b to help you. This vector must equate to k(-I + j) where k is just a constant.
Now equate the i's and the j's to equal -k and k respectively.
Then combine equations and solve for t

so is t=1/3 in dat last question
Original post by Tim73
Thanks! I got the right answer :smile:

is da answer t=1/3??
Reply 743
Original post by saitama kun
is da answer t=1/3??

No it's 1/2 so 2:30pm
Reply 744
Original post by candol
In this question you can use vector PQ from part b to help you. This vector must equate to k(-I + j) where k is just a constant.
Now equate the i's and the j's to equal -k and k respectively.
Then combine equations and solve for t

Hang on I'm still a bit confused where did you get the k(-i +j) from in the first place?
Original post by Don Pedro K.
In the first part to the solution to this question, it's stated that F = F1 + F2. Why is it possible to state this?

2.JPG
Attachment not found

The resultant of forces given as vectors is simply the vectors added together.
Original post by Someboady
The resultant of forces given as vectors is simply the vectors added together.

Ah yeah whoops I forgot that in the previous question when I added the forces together to get the resultant, they weren't vectors so I wrongly assumed they were going in the same direction instead of resolving!

So with vectors you don't need to resolve, you can just add them together?
Original post by Don Pedro K.
Ah yeah whoops I forgot that in the previous question when I added the forces together to get the resultant, they weren't vectors so I wrongly assumed they were going in the same direction instead of resolving!

So with vectors you don't need to resolve, you can just add them together?

Since vectors have a direction there is no need to resolve in any particular direction thus you can just add them together.
Since vectors have a direction there is no need to resolve in any particular direction thus you can just add them together.

AH that makes sense yes haha :smile: Thanks a lot! I owe you all big time if I (hopefully) do well in the exam tomorrow hahaha
Original post by Tim73
Hang on I'm still a bit confused where did you get the k(-i +j) from in the first place?

Put more simply. You know that j components act North and i components act east. Thus negative j components act south and negative i components act west. Hence the above equation. Thus (-i + j) represents North West and k is simply a constant that provides the "magnitude" per say.
Reply 750
Put more simply. You know that j components act North and i components act east. Thus negative j components act south and negative i components act west. Hence the above equation. Thus (-i + j) represents North West and k is simply a constant that provides the "magnitude" per say.

Ah that makes sense, thank you :smile:
Can we be asked to label thrust in diagrams? If so then what direction does it act in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 752
Original post by Tim73
Does anyone know how to use the information when something is north west or south west etc in a vectors question? I know it's 45 degrees but idk how that helps.
I can do it when it's north or south or east or west as I know the i/j components are the same. But when it's like north west or something it confuses me
Example question:
GOLD Vectors Question.png

Hey I just did this question can you please tell me which paper this is from so I can check the mark scheme... Thanks
Original post by Clovers
Can we be asked to label thrust in diagrams? If so then what direction does it act in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thrust is opposite to tension.

Tension:

O---->-------<-----O

Thrust:

O<---->O
Reply 754
Original post by wenogk
Hey I just did this question can you please tell me which paper this is from so I can check the mark scheme... Thanks

It's the first Gold paper (Edexcel)
https://2802a3b1a650824d2586fd3336bd5d5d2d5c2cf8.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYdlJ3eXE3ZkJsVkU/11%20Gold%201%20-%20M1%20Edexcel.pdf

The mark scheme is at the back
Got an E in this last year so resitting
Reply 756

Thank you!

Original post by Clovers

Posted from TSR Mobile

This question uses "thrust" check out examsolutions video for that question(Q6)
http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths-papers/Edexcel/Mechanics/Mechanics-M1/2009-June/paper.php#Q6
How is it that I've done all the past year papers but I still feel ill prepared :frown: I'm still making careless mistakes and such, it's frustrating.
I've done no revision at all yet lol , gonna do a few hours of revision and past papers now
aiming for 100 UMS but ill end up with like 95 due to stupid mistakes as usual :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending