Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    Is there any papers you should do last minute any questions. I have done gold papers and all past papers from 2007-2015 but im still scared, that i could do stupid mistakes in the exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candol)
    In this question you can use vector PQ from part b to help you. This vector must equate to k(-I + j) where k is just a constant.
    Now equate the i's and the j's to equal -k and k respectively.
    Then combine equations and solve for t
    Thanks! I got the right answer

ReputationRep:
    the forces are not acting in the same direction. You need to draw a force diagram (triangle in this case), showing the forces in series (one after the other). The resultant is the diagonal joining the start point to the end point
    In the first part to the solution to this question, it's stated that F = F1 + F2. Why is it possible to state this?

Name:  2.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  50.7 KBAttachment 545345545347
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    When a vector is A relative to B, is that the same as the vector BA? or is it the vector AB?

ReputationRep:
    In this question you can use vector PQ from part b to help you. This vector must equate to k(-I + j) where k is just a constant.
    so is t=1/3 in dat last question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tim73)
    Thanks! I got the right answer
    is da answer t=1/3??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saitama kun)
    is da answer t=1/3??
    No it's 1/2 so 2:30pm

ReputationRep:
    Hang on I'm still a bit confused where did you get the k(-i +j) from in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    In the first part to the solution to this question, it's stated that F = F1 + F2. Why is it possible to state this?

Name:  2.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  50.7 KBAttachment 545345545347
    The resultant of forces given as vectors is simply the vectors added together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)
    The resultant of forces given as vectors is simply the vectors added together.
    Ah yeah whoops I forgot that in the previous question when I added the forces together to get the resultant, they weren't vectors so I wrongly assumed they were going in the same direction instead of resolving!

So with vectors you don't need to resolve, you can just add them together?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    Ah yeah whoops I forgot that in the previous question when I added the forces together to get the resultant, they weren't vectors so I wrongly assumed they were going in the same direction instead of resolving!

So with vectors you don't need to resolve, you can just add them together?
    Since vectors have a direction there is no need to resolve in any particular direction thus you can just add them together.

ReputationRep:
    Since vectors have a direction there is no need to resolve in any particular direction thus you can just add them together.
    AH that makes sense yes haha Thanks a lot! I owe you all big time if I (hopefully) do well in the exam tomorrow hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tim73)
    Hang on I'm still a bit confused where did you get the k(-i +j) from in the first place?
    Put more simply. You know that j components act North and i components act east. Thus negative j components act south and negative i components act west. Hence the above equation. Thus (-i + j) represents North West and k is simply a constant that provides the "magnitude" per say.

ReputationRep:
    Put more simply. You know that j components act North and i components act east. Thus negative j components act south and negative i components act west. Hence the above equation. Thus (-i + j) represents North West and k is simply a constant that provides the "magnitude" per say.
    Ah that makes sense, thank you

ReputationRep:
    Can we be asked to label thrust in diagrams? If so then what direction does it act in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tim73)
    Does anyone know how to use the information when something is north west or south west etc in a vectors question? I know it's 45 degrees but idk how that helps.
    I can do it when it's north or south or east or west as I know the i/j components are the same. But when it's like north west or something it confuses me
    Example question:
    Attachment 545297
    Hey I just did this question can you please tell me which paper this is from so I can check the mark scheme... Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clovers)
    Can we be asked to label thrust in diagrams? If so then what direction does it act in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thrust is opposite to tension.

Tension:

O---->-------<-----O

Thrust:

O<---->O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wenogk)
    Hey I just did this question can you please tell me which paper this is from so I can check the mark scheme... Thanks
    It's the first Gold paper (Edexcel)
    https://2802a3b1a650824d2586fd3336bd...%20Edexcel.pdf

The mark scheme is at the back

ReputationRep:
    Got an E in this last year so resitting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tim73)
    It's the first Gold paper (Edexcel)
    https://2802a3b1a650824d2586fd3336bd...%20Edexcel.pdf

The mark scheme is at the back
    Thank you!

(Original post by Clovers)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This question uses "thrust" check out examsolutions video for that question(Q6)
    http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level...e/paper.php#Q6

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 25, 2016

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.