Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marccs)
    Can anyone help me with this question on vectors
    Watch this video, it'll help you http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-r...tutorial-2.php

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Joiner)
    Dam I forgot; here:

Attachment 545515

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Name:  img033.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  494.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metrize)
    They set west as the positive direction, you can set east as positivw direction and you'd get the same answer
    But I don't get how the velocity of p can be the same before and after

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain why it cannot tilt about B for part (C)? Im confused because I thought both strings were meant to be taut Name:  Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 20.13.28.png
Views: 148
Size:  119.3 KBAttachment 545553545555
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    Okay tell me which part you dont understand out of these steps...

r= (5-3t)i + (t-3)j

When moving parallel, it has to be moving directly right or left, for example, (5i 0j)

so the j component must equal zero

t-3 = 0
    t=3 when moving parallel
    >>r= (5-3t)i + (t-3)j
    the velocity is given but how did you get the initial position.

ReputationRep:
    the reaction at the other support (not c) is zero
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fpmaniac)
    >>r= (5-3t)i + (t-3)j
    the velocity is given but how did you get the initial position.
    well you dont need the original position, i just used that formula to find velocity instead of location

i used velocity and acceleration(t) instead of location and velocity(t)

m and m/s vs m/s and m/s/s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    Nigel is that you??
    I dont think im the nigel ur thinking off

ReputationRep:
    Watch this video, it'll help you http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-r...tutorial-2.php

ReputationRep:
    Name:  img033.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  494.8 KB
    Das what I got also

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NigelK98)
    I dont think im the nigel ur thinking off
    Ahh okay haha sorry! It's just there's this guy I know with the surname beginning with K as well xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louiseelg0rt)
    Can someone explain why it cannot tilt about B for part (C)? Im confused because I thought both strings were meant to be taut Name:  Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 20.13.28.png
Views: 148
Size:  119.3 KBAttachment 545553545555
    The beam stays horizontal as said

ReputationRep:
    if it says awrt then yes, if not, probably not.

Did you use an aproximation in your method such as g?

also if you wrote the answer as a fraction before you rounded it they should mark it correct and ignore subsequent working i think
    Question paper?
    I only asked this because they showed the answer in different format in different papers. I hope I attached the images right

I did the paper with Q4c first (Jan 2011) and gave my answer as a fraction, 5/3. The mark scheme said this was fine (in fact the only answer I see there ) so I was like that's lucky for me. I did the paper with Q6c after (Jun 2011) and gave my answer as a fraction because of what I seen before, but THIS time it says you don't get a mark for 1/14, only for that in 2/3 s.f. So what do I do? Is it the question type, or do they actually allow 3 s.f. in the Jan 2011 paper but just didn't say.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    This is because as soon as one particle moves, the other one moves with it since the string can't stretch!
    Gotcha, thanks! What about light? and what does a "rod" tell us?

ReputationRep:
    Das what I got also
    But you've labeled both 4u and u as positive even though one is going east and the other west?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kamara7)
    I only asked this because they showed the answer in different format in different papers. I hope I attached the images right

I did the paper with Q4c first (Jan 2011) and gave my answer as a fraction, 5/3. The mark scheme said this was fine (in fact the only answer I see there ) so I was like that's lucky for me. I did the paper with Q6c after (Jun 2011) and gave my answer as a fraction because of what I seen before, but THIS time it says you don't get a mark for 1/14, only for that in 2/3 s.f. So what do I do? Is it the question type, or do they actually allow 3 s.f. in the Jan 2011 paper but just didn't say.
    Wow yeah that is quite weird! Although, it may perhaps not be the full mark scheme, so it might allow 5/3 in 3.s.f?

ReputationRep:
    Ahh okay haha sorry! It's just there's this guy I know with the surname beginning with K as well xD
    no worries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kamara7)

as i said before, if you use an aproxamation such as g in your answer, you have to round.

In jan 2011 you were doing vectors which is fine.

in june 2011 you assumed that gravity equals 9.8 so you must round to 2 or 3 sf.
    it says this on the front of the exam paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Joiner)
    But you've labeled both 4u and u as positive even though one is going east and the other west?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can choose what direction you want to call positive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelegend99)
    Gotcha, thanks! What about light? and what does a "rod" tell us?
    Means that it won't bend or flex or anything funny like that ! Check this video out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7XO768pack from about half a minute in !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.