The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Can someone explain why it cannot tilt about B for part (C)? Im confused because I thought both strings were meant to be taut Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 20.13.28.png
Attachment not found
Original post by KloppOClock
Okay tell me which part you dont understand out of these steps...

r= (5-3t)i + (t-3)j

When moving parallel, it has to be moving directly right or left, for example, (5i 0j)

so the j component must equal zero

t-3 = 0
t=3 when moving parallel

>>r= (5-3t)i + (t-3)j
the velocity is given but how did you get the initial position.
the reaction at the other support (not c) is zero

Original post by fpmaniac
>>r= (5-3t)i + (t-3)j
the velocity is given but how did you get the initial position.

well you dont need the original position, i just used that formula to find velocity instead of location

i used velocity and acceleration(t) instead of location and velocity(t)

m and m/s vs m/s and m/s/s
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Don Pedro K.
Nigel is that you??

I dont think im the nigel ur thinking off :smile:
img033.jpg

Das what I got also
Original post by NigelK98
I dont think im the nigel ur thinking off :smile:

Ahh okay haha sorry! It's just there's this guy I know with the surname beginning with K as well xD
Original post by Louiseelg0rt
Can someone explain why it cannot tilt about B for part (C)? Im confused because I thought both strings were meant to be taut Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 20.13.28.png
Attachment not found

The beam stays horizontal as said
if it says awrt then yes, if not, probably not.

Did you use an aproximation in your method such as g?

also if you wrote the answer as a fraction before you rounded it they should mark it correct and ignore subsequent working i think

Question paper?

I only asked this because they showed the answer in different format in different papers. I hope I attached the images right :redface:

I did the paper with Q4c first (Jan 2011) and gave my answer as a fraction, 5/3. The mark scheme said this was fine (in fact the only answer I see there :s-smilie:) so I was like that's lucky for me. I did the paper with Q6c after (Jun 2011) and gave my answer as a fraction because of what I seen before, but THIS time it says you don't get a mark for 1/14, only for that in 2/3 s.f. So what do I do? Is it the question type, or do they actually allow 3 s.f. in the Jan 2011 paper but just didn't say.
This is because as soon as one particle moves, the other one moves with it since the string can't stretch!

Gotcha, thanks! What about light? and what does a "rod" tell us?
Das what I got also

But you've labeled both 4u and u as positive even though one is going east and the other west?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kamara7
I only asked this because they showed the answer in different format in different papers. I hope I attached the images right :redface:

I did the paper with Q4c first (Jan 2011) and gave my answer as a fraction, 5/3. The mark scheme said this was fine (in fact the only answer I see there :s-smilie:) so I was like that's lucky for me. I did the paper with Q6c after (Jun 2011) and gave my answer as a fraction because of what I seen before, but THIS time it says you don't get a mark for 1/14, only for that in 2/3 s.f. So what do I do? Is it the question type, or do they actually allow 3 s.f. in the Jan 2011 paper but just didn't say.

Wow yeah that is quite weird! Although, it may perhaps not be the full mark scheme, so it might allow 5/3 in 3.s.f?
Ahh okay haha sorry! It's just there's this guy I know with the surname beginning with K as well xD

no worries :biggrin:
Original post by Kamara7

as i said before, if you use an aproxamation such as g in your answer, you have to round.

In jan 2011 you were doing vectors which is fine.

in june 2011 you assumed that gravity equals 9.8 so you must round to 2 or 3 sf.
it says this on the front of the exam paper
Original post by Don Joiner
But you've labeled both 4u and u as positive even though one is going east and the other west?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can choose what direction you want to call positive
Original post by thelegend99
Gotcha, thanks! What about light? and what does a "rod" tell us?

Means that it won't bend or flex or anything funny like that :biggrin:! Check this video out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7XO768pack from about half a minute in :biggrin:!
well you dont need the original position, i just used that formula to find velocity instead of location

i used velocity and acceleration(t) instead of location and velocity(t)

m and m/s vs m/s and m/s/s

Ohhh
didnt know you could do that :biggrin: thanks!
Wow yeah that is quite weird! Although, it may perhaps not be the full mark scheme, so it might allow 5/3 in 3.s.f?

That's what I thought but :dontknow:
Reply 839
can someone tell me what r is ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending