Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    For 7.a) I've realised I got the correct answer but crossed it out in my workings and did some other method.... Am I still likely to get the marks if the examiner can clearly see my workings?

ReputationRep:
    I wrote -3 for the impulse insread of 3, would i get that wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niamhcostello23)
    I wrote -3 for the impulse insread of 3, would i get that wrong?
    yes it asked for magnitude

(Original post by thatapanydude)
    I think it will be
    74 - 100 ums
    68-90ums
    62-80ums
    55-70ums
    48-60ums
    I'm going for 73 for 100 - paper was the same as any M1 paper - literally just different numbers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotoriousS)
    For 7.a) I've realised I got the correct answer but crossed it out in my workings and did some other method.... Am I still likely to get the marks if the examiner can clearly see my workings?
    if the examiner sees your workings you will get it right, it depends on how you crossed it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    Guys for the moments question, I basically got it all right up to the simultaneous equations, where after that I solved them incorrectly...Lol. Would I still get 5/7 you reckon? So like lose the final two A1 marks?
    KloppOClock

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotoriousS)
    You did some other method and got the same answer?

You will not get any marks for anything appearing to be intentionally crossed out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economistician)
    Anyone mind giving their opinion on a quick question...

For 7b.) With the vector of velocity (3i - 22j) and acceleration of (3i + 9j) i think it was.

I done it right and got 13, but then i stupidly crossed it out and found the magnitude of the velocity (√493) and magnitude of the acceleration (3√10). And so after 3 seconds of acceleration, i got √493 + 9√10 = 50.7 ms-1.

Do you think i will get 0 marks? I'm thinking yes...
    Also, does anyone know how many marks 7b was worth?

Any replies are appreciated
    I think as long as you're crossed out answer is legible you will get marks. Our teacher says never cross out the answer-the examiner will mark what is right-but they may still mark the crossed out one (possibly)

ReputationRep:
    Easiest m1 paper we have had. The wall question was a blessing

ReputationRep:
    any model answers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    yes it asked for magnitude
    It was -3 initially!? I think I know the a was negative but I just ignored it because when i used v^2=u^2 +2as it would just cancel. I didn't show a -3Ns at all would I be fine?

I just got 3Ns

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have an annotated mark scheme for the paper?

ReputationRep:
    1. For the coefficient of friction question I think I may have got 0.72 rather than 0.73. That would only be one mark lost right?Also I drew my speed-time graph in the blank space between the lines but to the right of the question. The examiner should see that right...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    KloppOClock
    well it was 7 marks so 2 A1 for answers 2M1 for each equation probably another M1 for solving simultaneously, not sure where the other 2 marks would go

ReputationRep:
    Guys for the slope question, I got the value for R wrong so my coefficient of friction was wrong but everything else was right, how many marks out of 10 will i get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by particlestudent)
    It was -3 initially!? I think I know the a was negative but I just ignored it because when i used v^2=u^2 +2as it would just cancel. I didn't show a -3Ns at all would I be fine?

I just got 3Ns

well you got the right answer so I wouldnt worry

ReputationRep:
    I completely guessed 7a) F=2.5i and forgot to write j component. Showed hardly any working. How many marks could i get?

ReputationRep:
    For 8b, didn't the question ask for the force on the pulley due to the string? In which case the bearing is 225 degrees, as opposed to 45.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    well it was 7 marks so 2 A1 for answers 2M1 for each equation probably another M1 for solving simultaneously, not sure where the other 2 marks would go
    I looked at May 2013 which had a pretty similar concept question to do with moments and simultaneous equations, and according to that, there were 2 M marks for taking momements about S and T for the two different scenarios, and then 2 DM1 marks for solving M and d. So I think I probably got 4/7.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get impulse as -3Ns initially? I just got it as 3Ns from the get go

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 25, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.