Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What was the first question, does anyone remember ?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how many marks 3, 7a and 8b were worth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    Guys, for the magnitude of the force exerted on pan by brick, I got the right answer but I did it in a way which gave a negative answer for R. how many marks do you think I would lose?
    Maybe 1?

ReputationRep:
    Guys, for the magnitude of the force exerted on pan by brick, I got the right answer but I did it in a way which gave a negative answer for R. how many marks do you think I would lose?
    7 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thestarter)
    can someone explain the Vectors F2 question please?
    The force F1 was given to you and said F2 was in the diretion of (i + j) i believe.Also it said the resultant of the two (adding them up) was in the direction of (i + 3j).
    'in the direction of' just means that vector is some multiple of the one they gave you. So in order to solve this problem, you had to equate F2 to a multiple of (i + j)
    So F2= k(i + J)
    Same goes for the resultant so

F1 + F2 (which we just recognised as k(i + j)) = L(i + 3j)
    Where L is just another constant representing a multiple of hence 'in direction of'

Phew so then we multiple everything out and equate all the i components and j components to form 2 simultaneous equation
    From where you calculate the constant K for example in this case and multiple by it the vector they gave you (direction of) and so you get 2.5
    hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by igot100ums)
    how were you meant to do 7a
    This is how I did 7(a):

Set up a pair of simultaneous equations by multiplying the vectors we were given as parallel by some constant.

So:
    F1+F2=R => ( - i + j ) + k( i + j ) = λ( i + 3j ) I can't remember the vectors given exactly, this is what I think.

Then equate i components: -1 + k = λ
    Then equate j components: 1 + k = 3λ and solve for k. => k = 5/2

(Original post by NatoHeadshot)
    Quick question hoping someone can clear this out
    1) for the first question I got got 14 soemthjng degrees and I mentioned this is from the positive X AXIS or to the right
    People seem to have done 90+ this to get from y axis but they didn't mention so I just used X axis

2) for the coefficient of friction I got the right answer but it came out negative because I took the friction pointing UP the slope and someone said it was down the slope
    How much would I lose out I think it was 10 marks ?
    1) I'm not sure if it said as a bearing. If it said as a bearing you needed 104 degrees. Likewise if it said from the j direction.

2) You'd probably lose one mark if you left is as a negative. You would probably lose no marks if you wrote afterwards something like: "negative as friction is acting down the slope", though the question did say that it was on the point of slipping up the plane - so I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ODES_PDES)
    Maybe 1?
    that'd be alright hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KhanHarbs)
    What was the first question, does anyone remember ?
    Bearing of the value of 104

sadly read the i and j components the wrong way around :'(
    silly mistake

ReputationRep:
    lose a mark for Ns-1 rather than Ns?

ReputationRep:
    For the moments question I dot d = 1.6m and M = 66kg. Please could somone explain why this is incorrect?

ReputationRep:
    What do people estimate the raw marks needed to get 90 or 100 UMS

ReputationRep:
    Hey. What if i didn't give an answer but attempted to work it out. Would i gain method marks if i was leading towards the right path?

ReputationRep:
    KloppOClock hogree Guys for the F2 vectors question, I realised at the last minute how to do it so I had to rush it. I got the two sets of simultaneous equations, but then solved them wrongly. How many marks out of 7 do you reckon I'll get? 4?
    7 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the___jackal)
    lose a mark for Ns-1 rather Ns?
    perhaps, sometimes they dont care about units but other times they do

ReputationRep:
    Is M exactly 42, I got 42,6?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasib98)
    Bearing of the value of 104

sadly read the i and j components the wrong way around :'(
    silly mistake
    I meant the question not the answer, I have a feeling I read it wrong..

ReputationRep:
    What do people think that the raw marks needed to get 90 or 100 UMS??

ReputationRep:
    i used the triangle method and ended up getting a magnitude for the force f2, i did this using the sine rule, would the get any of the 7 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KhanHarbs)
    I meant the question not the answer, I have a feeling I read it wrong..
    Bearing at which Q is travelling i believe

ReputationRep:
    how are people getting 3Ns for impulse? i got 2.48 or something and it seems to work using kinematics,not sure how people are getting 3.5m/s for the velocity off the wall?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 25, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.