Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What was the first question, does anyone remember ?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how many marks 3, 7a and 8b were worth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    Guys, for the magnitude of the force exerted on pan by brick, I got the right answer but I did it in a way which gave a negative answer for R. how many marks do you think I would lose?
    Maybe 1?

ReputationRep:
    Guys, for the magnitude of the force exerted on pan by brick, I got the right answer but I did it in a way which gave a negative answer for R. how many marks do you think I would lose?
    7 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thestarter)
    can someone explain the Vectors F2 question please?
    The force F1 was given to you and said F2 was in the diretion of (i + j) i believe.Also it said the resultant of the two (adding them up) was in the direction of (i + 3j).
    'in the direction of' just means that vector is some multiple of the one they gave you. So in order to solve this problem, you had to equate F2 to a multiple of (i + j)
    So F2= k(i + J)
    Same goes for the resultant so

F1 + F2 (which we just recognised as k(i + j)) = L(i + 3j)
    Where L is just another constant representing a multiple of hence 'in direction of'

Phew so then we multiple everything out and equate all the i components and j components to form 2 simultaneous equation
    From where you calculate the constant K for example in this case and multiple by it the vector they gave you (direction of) and so you get 2.5
    hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by igot100ums)
    how were you meant to do 7a
    This is how I did 7(a):

Set up a pair of simultaneous equations by multiplying the vectors we were given as parallel by some constant.

So:
    F1+F2=R => ( - i + j ) + k( i + j ) = λ( i + 3j ) I can't remember the vectors given exactly, this is what I think.

Then equate i components: -1 + k = λ
    Then equate j components: 1 + k = 3λ and solve for k. => k = 5/2

(Original post by NatoHeadshot)
    Quick question hoping someone can clear this out
    1) for the first question I got got 14 soemthjng degrees and I mentioned this is from the positive X AXIS or to the right
    People seem to have done 90+ this to get from y axis but they didn't mention so I just used X axis

2) for the coefficient of friction I got the right answer but it came out negative because I took the friction pointing UP the slope and someone said it was down the slope
    How much would I lose out I think it was 10 marks ?
    1) I'm not sure if it said as a bearing. If it said as a bearing you needed 104 degrees. Likewise if it said from the j direction.

2) You'd probably lose one mark if you left is as a negative. You would probably lose no marks if you wrote afterwards something like: "negative as friction is acting down the slope", though the question did say that it was on the point of slipping up the plane - so I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ODES_PDES)
    Maybe 1?
    that'd be alright hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KhanHarbs)
    What was the first question, does anyone remember ?
    Bearing of the value of 104

sadly read the i and j components the wrong way around :'(
    silly mistake

ReputationRep:
    lose a mark for Ns-1 rather than Ns?

ReputationRep:
    For the moments question I dot d = 1.6m and M = 66kg. Please could somone explain why this is incorrect?

ReputationRep:
    What do people estimate the raw marks needed to get 90 or 100 UMS

ReputationRep:
    Hey. What if i didn't give an answer but attempted to work it out. Would i gain method marks if i was leading towards the right path?

ReputationRep:
    KloppOClock hogree Guys for the F2 vectors question, I realised at the last minute how to do it so I had to rush it. I got the two sets of simultaneous equations, but then solved them wrongly. How many marks out of 7 do you reckon I'll get? 4?
    7 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the___jackal)
    lose a mark for Ns-1 rather Ns?
    perhaps, sometimes they dont care about units but other times they do

ReputationRep:
    Is M exactly 42, I got 42,6?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasib98)
    Bearing of the value of 104

sadly read the i and j components the wrong way around :'(
    silly mistake
    I meant the question not the answer, I have a feeling I read it wrong..

ReputationRep:
    What do people think that the raw marks needed to get 90 or 100 UMS??

ReputationRep:
    i used the triangle method and ended up getting a magnitude for the force f2, i did this using the sine rule, would the get any of the 7 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KhanHarbs)
    I meant the question not the answer, I have a feeling I read it wrong..
    Bearing at which Q is travelling i believe

ReputationRep:
    how are people getting 3Ns for impulse? i got 2.48 or something and it seems to work using kinematics,not sure how people are getting 3.5m/s for the velocity off the wall?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.