The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

2014 a was 58 and full ums was like 70... Hopefully something like that
I'm beginning to think the only answer they'll accept for the last question is 225 as a bearing.

Saying 45 doesn't make sense. It's not specific enough. Your force could be going south east or south west.

Only giving your answer as a bearing leaves no uncertainty to the examiner
I wrote m=0.73 to 2sf will I still get the mark and for the bearing I wrote 135 from i/x axis and I wrote 45 degrees below x drew diagram aswell. Do you get penalised for not writing units I wrote M=42 is this right
Original post by biubiubiu
My m1 was a disaster. I should've revised. I might get 60, so a B or even C?

lol
How many marks was the last question (Q8) worth in total?
Original post by lucabrasi98
I'm beginning to think the only answer they'll accept for the last question is 225 as a bearing.

Saying 45 doesn't make sense. It's not specific enough. Your force could be going south east or south west.

Only giving your answer as a bearing leaves no uncertainty to the examiner

in 2013 you got the mark for drawing a diagram and showing the force at an angle of 45 so i guess it'll be like that again i guess
Can some one remember what question 2 was especially the working out for 2b?
Original post by CaiusMartius
in 2013 you got the mark for drawing a diagram and showing the force at an angle of 45 so i guess it'll be like that again i guess

How many marks was the last question worth again? :/
Original post by SirRaza97
Alot of people are saying 59-60 for A but keep in mind it was an IAL paper (i think. It looked like it from the front) and last IAL papers were about 53-54 for A

What are you talking about? It wasn't an IAL paper...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fas
How many marks was the last question worth again? :/

4, 3 marks for like some pythagoras stuff and another mark for showing the direction. Reckon either you show it on a diagram or you have a bearing, i agree just saying 45 degrees from the horizontal isn't specific enough (although it should be fine with a diagram).
Original post by Tom22561

It was the scale and the mass. Can't remember fully but you had to use equations of motion
4, 3 marks for like some pythagoras stuff and another mark for showing the direction. Reckon either you show it on a diagram or you have a bearing, i agree just saying 45 degrees from the horizontal isn't specific enough (although it should be fine with a diagram).

Ah ok, that was the pulley question wasn't it? Just trying to get it all straight in my head
Original post by Tom22561

Question 2 was the one about the scale-pan with a brick in it

2a) Considering the whole system:

T - 2g = 2a
T = 2g + 2a
T = 2(9.8) + 2(0.5)
T = 20.6N

b) Considering the brick:

R - 1.5g = 1.5a
R = 1.5g + 1.5a
R = 1.5(9.8) + 1.5(0.5)
R = 15.45N

Oh, i didnt read that part, and just read magnitude. So, i didnt give dirention, but i did draw a diagrap with 45 degree angle, and the reaction at it as well, will that be enough? (i doubt it)

Also, i guess most of us got physics tomorrow? aqa here
Original post by Fas
Ah ok, that was the pulley question wasn't it? Just trying to get it all straight in my head

yup, dw about it too much, im sure you did fine it's in the past
Original post by Azzer11

Posted from TSR Mobile

What even is an IAL paper? The international papers?

Oh i guess that'd be fine. Although oads of people in my class literally just wrote 45 degrees from the horizontal then laughed cause I was the only one who got a bearing.

I initially accepted that i was wrong but upon giving it further thought, I think they messed up.
Reply 1536
For F2: is it 2.5i + 2.5j
Original post by Azzer11

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought it was because the front cover looked like this (from previous IAL paper):

A standard paper looks like this:

I mean I could be wrong of course. That's my reasoning.
Original post by thestarter
how many marks do you reckon ill get?
7. a. -1+k=z and 1+k=3z and sub z=-1+k into 1+k=3z so 1+k=3(-1+k) which gives k=0.5 so F2 = 0.5i + 0.5j - if this is wrong then how many marks?
b. V = 12i +5j, thus speed = 13 ms-1

8. a. Tension = 11.76 = 12N (2sf)
b. RF = √(11.76)^2 + (11.76)^2 = 16.6 = 17N (2sf) with a bearing of 045

I don't remember the paper that well but I think this is what I got

F1=i+2jF_1=-i+2j and let F2=λ(i+j)F_2=\lambda (i+j)

then Fresultant=F1+F2=(1+λ)i+(2+λ)jF_{resultant} = F_1+F_2= (-1+\lambda)i+(2+\lambda)j

since we know that the resultant force is in the direction of i+3ji+3j

3(1+λ)=(2+λ)[br]λ=2.5[br]F2=2.5i+2.5j[br]Fresultant=1.5(i+3j) 3(-1+\lambda)=(2+\lambda)[br]\Rightarrow \lambda =2.5[br]\Rightarrow F_2=2.5i+2.5j[br]\Rightarrow F_{resultant}=1.5(i+3j)

Also for the last question it asked for the direction of the force exerted on the pulley. So if your taking the pulley as the origin and the north being upwards perpendicular to the table, then the bearing would be 225. But if you drew the diagram with arrows and angles, you'll probably still get it. Your other answers look familiar but I can't really say a mark with certainty - maybe mid 60s depending on that moments q.
Original post by SargentZenj2
For F2: is it 2.5i + 2.5j

Yeah it was. How many marks do u think I would get for 5/root2 (i + j)? I used tirangles to do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending