Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)

was i not meant to find the magnitude until the end or something?
    Precisely. Modulus is not linear. i.e: |v| =/= |u| + |at|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KloppOClock)
    ok question 7 part b, what am i doing wrong. i seem to be getting a different answer to everyone else so lets hear it!

ok ive done this twice now (once in the exam, once again now) and ive got the same answer which is different to what I have been seeing.

V= U + AT
    V = ? U = (3i-22j) A=(3i+9j) T=3
    |U| = root(3^2 + (-22)^2) = root(493)
    |A| = root(3^2 + 9^2) = root(90)

V = root(493) + 3*root(90)

V= 50.66410225
    V = 50.7

anyone?

was i not meant to find the magnitude until the end or something?

you have to multiply acceleration with time before you mod it.. you should have left it as vector form until you found v and then modded it to be safe

ReputationRep:
    How many method marks do you think there is for the first question? I screwed up by confusing p and q and put the wrong numbers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EpicTree)
    same yeah I got .6 on the end too
    It seems like we most likely got it wrong but hopefully method marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economistician)
    Anyone?
    Usually if the right answer is there but crossed out I think they can give you method marks... depending whether you cans still read it or unless you scribbled it out but I don't think you will lose all the marks for the question, which was 4 for 7b.

ReputationRep:
    How many UMS would 72 marks get? Does anyone know what have been the raw marks necessary in past years for 100 UMS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GarlicBread01)
    How many UMS would 72 marks get? Does anyone know what have been the raw marks necessary in past years for 100 UMS?
    99-100

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laceless)
    You're only supposed to find the magnitude at the end, you need to find i and j vectors beforehand, this is why you got that answer
    Examiners mark the correct answer right even if you have two different methods???? cos i did both but didnt cross the first one out xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasib98)
    Examiners mark the correct answer right even if you have two different methods???? cos i did both but didnt cross the first one out xD
    I think that the general rule is that they mark whatever isn't crossed out, so the fact you have the right method there you will gain the marks for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasib98)
    aslong as they dont contradict eachother

ReputationRep:
    what was the speed of the particle once it has bounced off the wall

ReputationRep:
    guys, i mistakenly wrote the mass of the particle as the coefficient of friction as a result my frictional force was way off consequently my answer for the impulse question. however i still did the exact same steps as everyone else. can anyone shed some light on how many i might lose out of 7 due to the misread?

ReputationRep:
    For question 7,

I found the vector bearing of each and made a triangle which I then found out the angles, I then found the magnitude of F1 and used the sin rule to find the magnitude of F2 which came out as 3.something, I later found out that I had to use this to find the actual vecors of them but did I do the first bit right and how many marks will I get

ReputationRep:
    for any part of the questions did it specify putting the answer in a certain number of sig fig?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economistician)
    Anyone mind giving their opinion on a quick question...

For 7b.) With the vector of velocity (3i - 22j) and acceleration of (3i + 9j) i think it was.

I done it right and got 13, but then i stupidly crossed it out and found the magnitude of the velocity (√493) and magnitude of the acceleration (3√10). And so after 3 seconds of acceleration, i got √493 + 9√10 = 50.7 ms-1.

Do you think i will get 0 marks? I'm thinking yes...
    Also, does anyone know how many marks 7b was worth?

Any replies are appreciated
    I did the same thing! So annoying. Shame you crossed it out as well. Tbh I doubt we'll get any. You never know, may be one for showing use of triangles and suvat, but that's being optimistic. I think it was worth 4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsperhaps)
    for any part of the questions did it specify putting the answer in a certain number of sig fig?
    No, but on the front sheet, it says 2 or 3 sig (according to my friend)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greg2321)
    yep 2.25 I think we we at least get most of the method marks
    Yeah I hope so. I remember looking at it (when checking) and subbed in values for when it's on the point of titling about A and got it to work, but not when i subbed it in to when tilting about B. Thought it odd, but then left it, as I was stuck on that F2 question. At least I solved it in the last 2 mins though

ReputationRep:
    I solved the forces with the angles up and horizontal for 7a I got two equations and I didn't finish I don't even know if they can be solved that way
    Would I get at least 3/7?

ReputationRep:
    anyone posted any model answers yet? arsey or anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    For Question 4.a I got everything correct apart from the fact that I had the T value as more than 25 seconds. How many marks would I lose??

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 25, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.