Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptokyo)
    I agree with this. However, if they have stated that the angle is measured clockwise from the upwards vertical then it should be fine. But a bearing alone is a bit risky.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maddywald)
    I find it a bit odd they put in two vector questions tho lmao. I think that is the first paper I've done with no vertical motion maybs they forgot
    nah I think they wanted to play us

ReputationRep:
    I might have missed it but has anyone posted thr model answer for the question where you had to find the coefficient of friction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k3shb4kr4n14)
    Would drawing it in on the diagram and quoting that this was done provide sufficient for the mark?
    If you state 225 degrees CLOCKWISE to vertical or show it as a mini diagram then yes it would suffice.
    Alternatively
    You could state 135 degrees ANTI-CLOCKWISE to vertical or show it on a mini diagram.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAROX15)
    nah I think they wanted to play us
    wouldnt be all that surprised - edexcel have been a bit *****y this year

ReputationRep:
    KloppOClock do you agree?

My answers

Question 1:
    a) 104
    b) p=(400+15t)i+20tj
    q=20ti+(800-5t)j
    c) q=640i+640j

Question 2:
    a) T=20.6
    b) R=15.5

Question 3:
    |I|=3

Question 4:
    a) Diagram with line at 40ms^-1 for T seconds then falls to 0 at the end of the graph.
    Line at 30ms^-1 for 25s then dropping down to 0 at same point as 40ms^-1 line.
    T<25 as the train at 40ms^-1 decelerates first.
    b) T=8.75

Question 5:
    \mu=0.727

Question 6:
    i) d=1.2
    ii) M=42

Question 7:
    a) F_{2}=2.5i+2.5j
    b) Speed is 13

Question 8:
    a) T=11.8N
    b) Force on pulley of magnitude 16.6N and it makes an angle of 45 degrees with the downwards vertical.

ReputationRep:

My answers

Question 1:
    a) 104
    b) p=(400+15t)i+20tj
    q=20ti+(800-5t)j
    c) q=640i+640j

Question 2:
    a) T=20.6
    b) R=15.5

Question 3:
    |I|=3

Question 4:
    a) Diagram with line at 40ms^-1 for T seconds then falls to 0 at the end of the graph.
    b) T=8.75

Question 5:
    \mu=0.727

Question 6:
    i) d=1.2
    ii) M=42

Question 7:
    a) F_{2}=2.5i+2.5j
    b) Speed is 13

Question 8:
    a) T=11.8N
    b) Force on pulley of magnitude 16.6N and it makes an angle of 45 degrees with the downwards vertical.
    100% well done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannyboy1718)
    I might have missed it but has anyone posted thr model answer for the question where you had to find the coefficient of friction?
    Model answers for all questions are here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4150149

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannyboy1718)
    all model answers are here
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4150149

at the bottom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miless090)
    Model answers for all questions are here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4150149
    Thanks

ReputationRep:

My answers

Question 1:
    a) 104
    b) p=(400+15t)i+20tj
    q=20ti+(800-5t)j
    c) q=640i+640j

Question 2:
    a) T=20.6
    b) R=15.5

Question 3:
    |I|=3

Question 4:
    b) T=8.75

Question 5:
    \mu=0.727

Question 6:
    i) d=1.2
    ii) M=42

Question 7:
    a) F_{2}=2.5i+2.5j
    b) Speed is 13

Question 8:
    a) T=11.8N
    For q4 i made a mistake by not dividing 30 by 2 and carried it forward, i used the correct method apart from that mistake, how many marks will it cost me do you? reckon

ReputationRep:

My answers

Question 1:
    a) 104
    b) p=(400+15t)i+20tj
    q=20ti+(800-5t)j
    c) q=640i+640j

Question 2:
    a) T=20.6
    b) R=15.5

Question 3:
    |I|=3

Question 4:
    b) T=8.75

Question 5:
    \mu=0.727

Question 6:
    i) d=1.2
    ii) M=42

Question 7:
    a) F_{2}=2.5i+2.5j
    b) Speed is 13

Question 8:
    a) T=11.8N
    Agreed on all answers however it is is worth noting that when drawing the graphs for the two trains you ensure that T is smaller than 25 and hence train N begins to decelerate before train M.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know where I can find how many marks you have needed at miminum to get 100 UMS over the past few papers, i cant find it anywhere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pkg7)
    Hi for this questions, I did a really stupid mistake, I assumed that A to the centre of the mass equals to D, which means that I used a different distance from the point T. I did rest of the questions right, with wrong values, how many marks did I drop? And is it out of 10 marks for that question? This is how I did it30g(4-x) I got 1m for distance and 90 for mass
    Hello, A to the cecntre of mass is D. I just made a mistake in that working out. I think you will get the method marks but not the answer one. Maybe dropeed 1 or 2 marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLegion)
    That's a much better way than what I did, I can't believe I didn't do it that way.

Instead, I took moments about A and B, and resolved vertically for both scenarios in order to cancel out the reaction forces of S and T.

I then solved simultaneously again for d and M.
    I got the same answer and did it a ridiculously long way, so it's likely correct.
    That's pretty clever actually.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing quite a few mixed opinions on this papers difficulty. Anyone know roughly what the expected grade boundaries were?

ReputationRep:
    I think for this exam the UMS will be equal to the percent of your grade. Meaning that the A boundary is therefore 60/75.

ReputationRep:
    for the first question: did we have to put it as a bearing? or could it have just been 14 degrees

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LightAtTheEnd)
    Agreed on all answers however it is is worth noting that when drawing the graphs for the two trains you ensure that T is smaller than 25 and hence train N begins to decelerate before train M.
    Yes I did that in the exam. Edited the answers now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsperhaps)
    for the first question: did we have to put it as a bearing? or could it have just been 14 degrees
    It specifically asked for a bearing. It was 3 marks and I think from past papers with similar questions the mark scheme would be:

arctan(1/4) [A1] = 14 degrees
    bearing = 14 + 90 [M1] = 104 [A1]

So you would have got 1/3.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 25, 2016

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.