Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There u all go! question paper and mark scheme for 2016 jan m1
    and gold level 5 paper for M1.
    Its gonna be hard according to what my friends have been predicting with me bcoz C12 was hard so we cant expect something better from the great EDEXCEL for m1 also. Good luck all of you for revision and hopefully we'll nail it!!
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf WME01_01_que_20160125.pdf (269.1 KB, 199 views)
  2. File Type: pdf 15 Gold 5 - M1 Edexcel.pdf (198.2 KB, 354 views)
  3. File Type: pdf WME01_01_msc_20160302.pdf (190.1 KB, 244 views)

ReputationRep:
    Is this thread for GCE M1 and/or IAL M1 ??
    doesnt matter the subjects are same though......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnowLeopard27)
    Can anyone explain 5b on this paper?http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...e_20090113.pdf

I have been taught to resolve parallel then perpendicular, which is what I did, but I didn't get the right answers and the mark scheme is for resolving vertical/horizontal. This has happened on another paper too, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks anyone
    Could you perhaps post your working? I've seen that in the mark schemes a couple of times as well but resolving parallel and perpendicular should still give you the correct answer it may just be a longer method for this particular question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJS107)
    Could you perhaps post your working? I've seen that in the mark schemes a couple of times as well but resolving parallel and perpendicular should still give you the correct answer it may just be a longer method for this particular question.
    Name:  IMG_3366.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  456.2 KB

I did this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muctarrio97)
    In honesty...the only topic that I think would be a nightmare has to be vectors...though in my case, my teacher really sucked with the topic.
    omg same ugh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ahmed3651998)
    Is this thread for GCE M1 and/or IAL M1 ??
    doesnt matter the subjects are same though......
    arent they like the same lol

Name:  IMG_3366.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  456.2 KB

I did this
    I want to be very honest with you, but that diagram is not the best. You need to be very careful with how you do your diagram, as not doing it properly can cost you a LOT of marks in mechanics. Your lines of action are what I assume is confusing you.

Can anyone explain 5b on this paper?http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...e_20090113.pdf

I have been taught to resolve parallel then perpendicular, which is what I did, but I didn't get the right answers and the mark scheme is for resolving vertical/horizontal. This has happened on another paper too, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks anyone
    The mark scheme shows the best way of doing this problem which is to resolve vertically using angles. But the long method is to resolve using the lines of action perpendicular and parallel to the package.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marxist)
    I want to be very honest with you, but that diagram is not the best. You need to be very careful with how you do your diagram, as not doing it properly can cost you a LOT of marks in mechanics. Your lines of action are what I assume is confusing you.
    Thanks for the honesty so what have I done wrong precisely? Is it the working as opposed to the method? Thanks

Thanks for the honesty so what have I done wrong precisely? Is it the working as opposed to the method? Thanks
    Yes, I just want to point out that you have to do the basics a lot better than that. The basics are what will get you to any answer in dynamics and equilibrium type questions - there's not much else to be said.

This video should help a lot with what I pointed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfRc3fDdF28

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I just want to point out that you have to do the basics a lot better than that. The basics are what will get you to any answer in dynamics and equilibrium type questions - there's not much else to be said.

This video should help a lot with what I pointed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfRc3fDdF28
    Woah ok. I've been trying so hard in mechanics and finally predicted an A in it despite not doing/liking physics, so generally I think my 'basics' aren't that bad

Just this particular style of question, with the extra force 'P' (or X or whatever) is throwing me recently. The video is quite useful but does anyone know what exactly I have done wrong?! Lol if not I will ask my teacher after half term so no worries

Woah ok. I've been trying so hard in mechanics and finally predicted an A in it despite not doing/liking physics, so generally I think my 'basics' aren't that bad

Just this particular style of question, with the extra force 'P' (or X or whatever) is throwing me recently. The video is quite useful but does anyone know what exactly I have done wrong?! Lol if not I will ask my teacher after half term so no worries
    Sorry if I'm being counter-productive, my initial assessment made me think that you may have just needed a video to provide you with more understanding.

In a previous reply, I explained how you would do it. You can either use simultaneous equations - which is not a good method to eliminate P to find R - then substitute the value of R back into one of your two equations. But the best method for this is to resolve vertically to find R and finding P should be easy from there.

ReputationRep:

Negative sign of p when you flipped it for your resolving down the plane

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Negative sign of p when you flipped it for your resolving down the plane
    Oh I see it! Thanks so much So silly - never see stuff like that when I look back. Thanks again!

Oh I see it! Thanks so much So silly - never see stuff like that when I look back. Thanks again!
    Do it what ever way suits you, but I am pointing out to you that the easiest way would be resolve vertically. You still get the same answer of course, but it's just a lot easier and less time-consuming to do that.

ReputationRep:
    Do it what ever way suits you, but I am pointing out to you that the easiest way would be resolve vertically. You still get the same answer of course, but it's just a lot easier and less time-consuming to do that.
    I'm sure you're right, but unfortunately I haven't been taught that way, so will stick with what I know. Thanks for your help anyways

I'm sure you're right, but unfortunately I haven't been taught that way, so will stick with what I know. Thanks for your help anyways
    Well, that's okay.It just saves you a lot of time. And it will come in handy to know your angles well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    Both trains start from the same station and end at the same station so the total distance travelled by both trains is the same.

This means that the areas under the graphs for the 2 trains will be the same.

First find the area under the train A graph (the trapezium).

If you get stuck, post all your working / ideas.
    Perfect thatnks this will help me a lot I imagine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pondsteps)
    arent they like the same lol
    they are 100% same but the EXAMINATION SCRIPTS are 100% different !!

ReputationRep:
    https://534ff63a01f6cb44c9c4e6980176...TVSYUE/CH6.pdf

For page 21. Exd q4

do we say x degress above the vertical similar to how we talk about the horizontal?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.