Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It's all in the title I go to a private school and the standards are absolutely crap. The education/ teaching is poor (We barely have actual lessons) and there is little support. I'm currently in YR11 & doing my GCSE's and I'm struggling so much academically. I have to go to tuition every day in order to catch up with work that was meant to be finished months ago. All my controlled assesments are piling up and my exam revision is slacking so bad. I see myself as a bright person who can reach my targets which are all A and A* yet the school have given me such high expectations without the right support and basic help in lessons. I feel like giving up on my GCSE's. It's so hard right now... But that's not even the main problem. The headteacher of my school is snape. He does not want us to succeed and cares only for the success of his school. While we were applying to sixth forms, he demanded that we only apply to 2 and that if we applied to more, he would tell them that we are "deceiving" and we should not be accepted. However with the predicted grades that some people were given, which were highly irrational, they HAD to apply to more than 2 so they can secure a place. The headteacher then told us that we must pay an additional £25 for a reference and found out all the people who applied to more than 2 and is asking for £125 from most people.... He doesn't care about our education or our futures like a teacher/headteacher should. Recently, he excluded my friend because her grades were too low and he said that it would affect the reputation of the school. Now, 2 months before our exams, my friend has no school and no where to take her GCSE exams. It's really sad that he doesn't realize that you should actually be learning in a school. He made us clean the school with bleach while the YR7's were squirting bleach all over the place. It's so irresponsible and dangerous. I personally believe that this school should be shut down. I'm so embarrassed to be attending this school. It's so stressful. Could u please give me advice on how to sort this problem because I really don't know what to do? Recently hes been threatening me with exclusion but I can't bare to leave school without doing my exams since I have been working day and night tirelessly ( What should I do :'((

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's all in the title I go to a private school and the standards are absolutely crap. The education/ teaching is poor (We barely have actual lessons) and there is little support. I'm currently in YR11 & doing my GCSE's and I'm struggling so much academically. I have to go to tuition every day in order to catch up with work that was meant to be finished months ago. All my controlled assesments are piling up and my exam revision is slacking so bad. I see myself as a bright person who can reach my targets which are all A and A* yet the school have given me such high expectations without the right support and basic help in lessons. I feel like giving up on my GCSE's. It's so hard right now... But that's not even the main problem. The headteacher of my school is snape. He does not want us to succeed and cares only for the success of his school. While we were applying to sixth forms, he demanded that we only apply to 2 and that if we applied to more, he would tell them that we are "deceiving" and we should not be accepted. However with the predicted grades that some people were given, which were highly irrational, they HAD to apply to more than 2 so they can secure a place. The headteacher then told us that we must pay an additional £25 for a reference and found out all the people who applied to more than 2 and is asking for £125 from most people.... He doesn't care about our education or our futures like a teacher/headteacher should. Recently, he excluded my friend because her grades were too low and he said that it would affect the reputation of the school. Now, 2 months before our exams, my friend has no school and no where to take her GCSE exams. It's really sad that he doesn't realize that you should actually be learning in a school. He made us clean the school with bleach while the YR7's were squirting bleach all over the place. It's so irresponsible and dangerous. I personally believe that this school should be shut down. I'm so embarrassed to be attending this school. It's so stressful. Could u please give me advice on how to sort this problem because I really don't know what to do? Recently hes been threatening me with exclusion but I can't bare to leave school without doing my exams since I have been working day and night tirelessly ( What should I do :'((
    If you can prove these things are happening, speak to the governors.

(Original post by jamestg)
    If you can prove these things are happening, speak to the governors.
    My friend's parents discussed all the issues surrounding the school with him and said that she may report him to the governors but he said that they can't do anything or interfere because it's a private school and not a state school. So basically he can do whatever he likes which is why I'm so scared

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My friend's parents discussed all the issues surrounding the school with him and said that she may report him to the governors but he said that they can't do anything or interfere because it's a private school and not a state school. So basically he can do whatever he likes which is why I'm so scared
    I'm sure there is something in place to prevent the headteacher from doing what they like. You could contact a LEA maybe and get them to check around, even though it's private the govt have to make sure everyone is receiving an adequate education.

(Original post by jamestg)
    I'm sure there is something in place to prevent the headteacher from doing what they like. You could contact a LEA maybe and get them to check around, even though it's private the govt have to make sure everyone is receiving an adequate education.
    I feel like if I personally contact the gov or anything serious then he may find out and exclude me. Then my life is literally gona be over:cry:He seems like the type of person to get away with anything. I'm shocked at how he gets away with half the things he does tbh. Sometimes it feels like I'm not even in the UK, how backwards he is scares me. I can't wait to leave this school in a few months

ReputationRep:
    What do your parents say? Your HM is right that there is less oversight of private schools than those in the state sector. However, unless he is the school owner, he is not the final authority in the school. Depending on how your school is set up, this owner might be an individual, a company, a foundation, etc. In most schools, the principal duty of the board of governors' is to select (and dismiss) the headteacher. Private schools are also much more vulnerable to ISI inspections and poor publicity than state schools.

If things are as bad as you say and you only have a few months to go, I would document everything carefully now, keep your head down, and then contact with the governors about your concerns. It might be helpful if more than one student did this together in writing.

It might also be worth cross posting at the Mumsnet "Education" (www.mumsnet.com/Talk/education) and "Secondary Education" (www.mumsnet.com/Talk/secondary) boards where there are lots of parents who are very savvy about education in the private sector and might be able to offer some anonymous advice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.