Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For anyone who feels nomadic... or lost. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal World)
    Like all of a sudden instead of being career minded and needing this and chasing this life actually deep down maybe I would have been happier without all this pressure and nomadic stuff. It only further serves to intensify the disconnect I feel about where I'm going and what I actually want.
    i see a career as a means to an end, but a family is an end in itself.

I literally just meant to reply to this saying yes my quote game is strong. Now I'm typing this out, crying and definitely making myself late for work.

Put a lid on it ethereal.
    aw

get yourself together and have a great day :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I have felt nomadic for the past 15 years having lived between 2 homes or more at any one time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like all of a sudden instead of being career minded and needing this and chasing this life actually deep down maybe I would have been happier without all this pressure and nomadic stuff. It only further serves to intensify the disconnect I feel about where I'm going and what I actually want.
    As someone who's had that 'is this what I really want' moment, I feel you breadrin. The last two years I've literally turned my life upside down, going from a very good, stable career to the complete unknown of going back to college and now applying for uni, at the age of 29. A quote from one of my favourite films ever sums up the exact way I felt at the time:

Did you ever wish you could sometimes freeze frame a moment in your day, look at it and say "this is not my life".
    Bonus points for identifying the film.

Guess what though, there are still days when I'm sh*t scared I've done the wrong thing. There are even days where I miss my old job, which at the time I had convinced myself I hated. It's all part of being one of those human thingies. It took me a good 11 years since I left school to realise what I actually wanted, but even now I wonder about it. I don't think I'll ever be 100% certain, but that's what gives me the little thrill of frightened excitement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    I've been adulting for years but a part of me does want a bit of an easier life.
    I think I want the stabilised adult life more than I want the easy child thing. But either way, being caught between two worlds is unsettling a lot of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JBLondon)
    As someone who's had that 'is this what I really want' moment, I feel you breadrin. The last two years I've literally turned my life upside down, going from a very good, stable career to the complete unknown of going back to college and now applying for uni, at the age of 29. A quote from one of my favourite films ever sums up the exact way I felt at the time:

Bonus points for identifying the film.

Guess what though, there are still days when I'm sh*t scared I've done the wrong thing. There are even days where I miss my old job, which at the time I had convinced myself I hated. It's all part of being one of those human thingies. It took me a good 11 years since I left school to realise what I actually wanted, but even now I wonder about it. I don't think I'll ever be 100% certain, but that's what gives me the little thrill of frightened excitement.
    Wow, what an impressive and brave story. I know what you mean about the thoughts you have wondering whether you have done the right thing. I'm sure you have!! But the grass is greener situation is never easy.

I don't know the film, I could google, but tell me

Have you watched Garden State btw? The film the quote in the OP was taken from.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I think I want the stabilised adult life more than I want the easy child thing. But either way, being caught between two worlds is unsettling a lot of the time.
    I like having my independence but for example, it's nice being taken cared off when you're unwell . Now, I just go into work unless I'm dying and just try to keep up the energy for my other stuff.

When people with no problems choose to leave home rather early and strike out on their own, I look at them like they're crazy .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    I like having my independence but for example, it's nice being taken cared off when you're unwell . Now, I just go into work unless I'm dying and just try to keep up the energy for my other stuff.

When people with no problems choose to leave home rather early and strike out on their own, I look at them like they're crazy .
    I know what you mean. But at the same time for all intents and purposes I am independent. But I don't own a house or have a mortgage or know where I'm going to live or who I'm going to marry and whether I will have children. I know that is the beauty of life (and people in that situation are probably envious of me!) and it's exciting but when my friends at home all took a different route to me and I see that maybe in a lot of ways they are happier I just long to have somewhere I truly feel is home, not just somewhere I live. Home is a feeling in that sense, not just a physical structure.

'When people with no problems' - Essentially, I know what your point is, but you never know whether people have problems or not. You never know what people are covering up or what might be going on in their life. Also people's problems are relative as well.

I don't know the film, I could google, but tell me
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Mrs Doubtfire!
    Have you watched Garden State btw? The film the quote in the OP was taken from..
    I haven't which I'm annoyed about because I loved Zach Braff in Scrubs. I'm going to watch it this weekend in your honour.

ReputationRep:
    At the age of 18 I moved out of my parent's home to attend college. But now 3 and a half years later with my undergraduate degree done, I moved back home because my postgraduate course doesn't start till september and everything really feels weird.
    When I was still in university I would do anything to come back home on weekends and see my friends and family. but now that I'm home i've realised how home doesn't exist anymore. I would do anything just to get out of there. I feel as though I've grown out of this place and it doesn't feel the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JBLondon)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Mrs Doubtfire!

I haven't which I'm annoyed about because I loved Zach Braff in Scrubs. I'm going to watch it this weekend in your honour.
    It's one of those films I find people either watched and LOVE (like me) or they haven't really heard of. It's also a weird format- it's kind of like a dark comedy and it doesn't have any real urgency. It's like a snapshot of someone's life for a couple of days, and how the force of love can overcome anything and bring two people together in strange circumstances. The end scene I watch on YouTube and just cry sometimes :hide: I don't know why I'm so emotional rn!!!

It also has an amazing soundtrack- Don't Panic by Coldplay and New Slang by The Shins being two of my favourites. I feel goose pimples just thinking about it. Definitely watch it and report back to me.

Can't believe that's from Mrs Doubtfire... this is probably my favourite quote:

Oh god now I'm getting all the feels about Robin Williams. This is too much.

ReputationRep:
    So I like this quote. It explains everything I've felt in my early 20s. The transition of leaving home and being some sort of adult but just wanting that innocence and ease of childhood again. :

It's from Garden State aka the best film of absolute all time (Zach Braff's brainchild) and it's so true and exactly how I feel when I'm in this weird transition phase to adulthood, though probably should have got there by now.
    Considering I still live at home.... not really.

ReputationRep:
    You get everything. I think I just long for the innocence and the time where I was curious about everything and wasn't a slave to the system. No matter what way we look at it, we are all slaves to a arbitrary system. And in a way we do it because it's easier to transfer responsibility to an abstract force rather than having to take it yourself.
    Why is the system arbitrary?

Oh god now I'm getting all the feels about Robin Williams. This is too much.
    MD is one of those films I can almost quote verbatim. I read some amazing things about Robin Williams after his death.

He used to call into sex shops in San Fran during the filming of MD dressed as MD and ask for big purple dildos and the like

He used to call people like Steven Spielberg using the MD voice on a weekly basis, and pretend to be a confused elderly woman who had called the wrong number. He did this years after MD wrapped.

Robin went so far off of the scipt with his improv for the Genie in Aladdin that the producers were worried that they may not be eligible for oscar nominations.

There are so many more amazing things that man did. He's one of the few celebrities whose death really affected me.

Also, thanks for nullifying my spoiler tags . I also love that quote, in fact I use it as part of my joke routine at work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennyhp)
    Why is the system arbitrary?
    Why is it not?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Considering I still live at home.... not really.
    That's why it was specifically for - anyone who feels nomadic or lost

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt mind going back to being 18 again, I'd actually take A-Levels a bit more seriously, realise my my gf back then was a complete ***** and get into Manchester Uni (instead of the Met). Having said all this I have no regrets
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Meh, I've lived in 20 different houses and moved out at the age of 16. Home is wherever I happen to be.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it not?!
    Because it is based on a system, provides us with an extremely high standard of living.

If it's so bad, why not move to some 3rd world slum where there is no system?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennyhp)
    Because it is based on a system, provides us with an extremely high standard of living.

If it's so bad, why not move to some 3rd world slum where there is no system?
    That doesn't mean it isn't arbitrary.

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't mean it isn't arbitrary.
    What definition are you giving arbitrary?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.