Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For anyone who feels nomadic... or lost. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennyhp)
    What definition are you giving arbitrary?
    Essentially that it is random. I mean, it isn't in some aspects and I agree the 'system' is good for our civilisation etc. but that doesn't mean it is the best way for humanity to thrive as a species. We've created the system, and in that way I mean it is arbitrary. It is not something that would stand the test of evolutionary time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Meh, I've lived in 20 different houses and moved out at the age of 16. Home is wherever I happen to be.
    Yes but as I said, home to me based on this particular idea is a feeling not a physical structure. I've had tons of 'homes' but don't get that feeling deep down that this is where I belong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal World)
    Essentially that it is random. I mean, it isn't in some aspects and I agree the 'system' is good for our civilisation etc. but that doesn't mean it is the best way for humanity to thrive as a species. We've created the system, and in that way I mean it is arbitrary. It is not something that would stand the test of evolutionary time.
    Why isn't is the best way for humanity to thrive?

We've created this system over thousands of years, because it's overwhelmingly obvious that going to work for 8 hours a day and coming home to a warm comfy house with a bag of groceries from the supermarket is much better than sleeping in a cave/bush and spending all day trying to hunt for food in the freezing cold and rain.
    Since humans have started working together and forming societies, we have made massive advancements in every aspect of life and health.

I don't think it is arbitrary, and it has stood the test of evolutionary time and has developed and grown massively since then (thousands of years ago).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yes but as I said, home to me based on this particular idea is a feeling not a physical structure. I've had tons of 'homes' but don't get that feeling deep down that this is where I belong.
    That is the sense I mean it in as well, though perhaps a more illuminating way of putting it is to say that nowhere is my home as much as everywhere is. I don't think I will ever feel like I am meant to be anywhere in particular - I have never been homesick for example - so anywhere can reasonably be said to be my home. I think it is a product of having moved so much and so frequently. I think perhaps a sense of belonging comes more from your shared experiences and motivations with the people around you. In this sense my home would be wherever the people I love happen to be which is probably a very common conclusion.

ReputationRep:
    Why isn't is the best way for humanity to thrive?

We've created this system over thousands of years, because it's overwhelmingly obvious that going to work for 8 hours a day and coming home to a warm comfy house with a bag of groceries from the supermarket is much better than sleeping in a cave/bush and spending all day trying to hunt for food in the freezing cold and rain.
    Since humans have started working together and forming societies, we have made massive advancements in every aspect of life and health.

I don't think it is arbitrary, and it has stood the test of evolutionary time and has developed and grown massively since then (thousands of years ago).
    I get what you are saying and I don't disagree with you in the more general sense of what you are saying either. It works well, but it doesn't mean it's perfect. If it were, why would rates of mental illness be rising so steadily in the West? As a species we have to find the balance that fulfils our biological needs and in some aspects the system has started to take that away from us (birth rates falling below replacement etc.). I mean this topic is never-ending but just because something is the way it is it doesn't mean it's the best or the holy grail. There is also the issue that we cannot turn back time and change how things have come about over time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    That is the sense I mean it in as well, though perhaps a more illuminating way of putting it is to say that nowhere is my home as much as everywhere is. I don't think I will ever feel like I am meant to be anywhere in particular - I have never been homesick for example - so anywhere can reasonably be said to be my home. I think it is a product of having moved so much and so frequently. I think perhaps a sense of belonging comes more from your shared experiences and motivations with the people around you. In this sense my home would be wherever the people I love happen to be which is probably a very common conclusion.
    Another PRSOM for Ironic. Can't believe I received your 10 gems first. I feel so special
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Another PRSOM for Ironic. Can't believe I received your 10 gems first. I feel so special

I'm glad I could share them with you :moon:

ReputationRep:
    I get what you are saying and I don't disagree with you in the more general sense of what you are saying either. It works well, but it doesn't mean it's perfect. If it were, why would rates of mental illness be rising so steadily in the West? As a species we have to find the balance that fulfils our biological needs and in some aspects the system has started to take that away from us (birth rates falling below replacement etc.). I mean this topic is never-ending but just because something is the way it is it doesn't mean it's the best or the holy grail. There is also the issue that we cannot turn back time and change how things have come about over time.
    I agree that it's not perfect, but I don't think it's arbitrary, and still don't really understand why you think it is.

I think the system is pretty close to perfect though. A lot of people will say that it's not, but never come up with any credible alternatives.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that it's not perfect, but I don't think it's arbitrary, and still don't really understand why you think it is.

I think the system is pretty close to perfect though. A lot of people will say that it's not, but never come up with any credible alternatives.
    Well I think that there are other systems in existence as well. So we have different systems across the world although western capitalism is the most dominant. So in that it demonstrates the contrived nature of the system - maybe I should have said contrived instead of arbitrary.

It's not necessarily about radically changing the system into something else, but more accepting that there are definite ways of improving it and making it more sustainable. In terms of human life on Earth in the long long term the current approach is not sustainable.

ReputationRep:
    So I like this quote. It explains everything I've felt in my early 20s. The transition of leaving home and being some sort of adult but just wanting that innocence and ease of childhood again. :

It's from Garden State aka the best film of absolute all time (Zach Braff's brainchild) and it's so true and exactly how I feel when I'm in this weird transition phase to adulthood, though probably should have got there by now.
    :cry2: this is what I'm really scared about next year. Tell me it gets better...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JBLondon)
    As someone who's had that 'is this what I really want' moment, I feel you breadrin. The last two years I've literally turned my life upside down, going from a very good, stable career to the complete unknown of going back to college and now applying for uni, at the age of 29.
    What did you study at college? A levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    :cry2: this is what I'm really scared about next year. Tell me it gets better...
    I mean, it gets better. In the sense that you come to terms with it. But it is SCARY leaving the bubble for sure. I think my issue is is because I took so long with stuff (2 gap years, 4 year degree, worked for 2 year) and now I've decided to go back into law which is another 2 years of study and another 2 years thereafter of training. I just feel like it's not gonna be til I'm 30 til I'm ready to be settled and secure. Even though I will probably look back and be glad about all of this sometimes it just gets to me. I just wish I could go get a normal job at home, have some babies, and just be happy with that.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, it gets better. In the sense that you come to terms with it. But it is SCARY leaving the bubble for sure. I think my issue is is because I took so long with stuff (2 gap years, 4 year degree, worked for 2 year) and now I've decided to go back into law which is another 2 years of study and another 2 years thereafter of training. I just feel like it's not gonna be til I'm 30 til I'm ready to be settled and secure. Even though I will probably look back and be glad about all of this sometimes it just gets to me. I just wish I could go get a normal job at home, have some babies, and just be happy with that.
    Well your life is unique

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Well your life is unique
    Everyone's life is unique.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone's life is unique.
    Yours especially in this manner :yep:

What did you study at college? A levels?
    An access course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    I have felt nomadic for the past 15 years having lived between 2 homes or more at any one time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Deep Diddy Dec Wednesdays. Are you a lot older than I think?

ReputationRep:
    wait did you work for 2 years after the 2 gap years and 4 year degree? i thought you were 24, am i wrong?

and also youre in an excellent position, remember, you told me last week that life is not a rat race, so dont feel the pressure to think about kids and houses etc, focus on forging your passion for law first 30 is absolutely fine and the normal time for women in the city to start considering relationships and children etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welcometoib)
    wait did you work for 2 years after the 2 gap years and 4 year degree? i thought you were 24, am i wrong?

and also youre in an excellent position, remember, you told me last week that life is not a rat race, so dont feel the pressure to think about kids and houses etc, focus on forging your passion for law first 30 is absolutely fine and the normal time for women in the city to start considering relationships and children etc.
    I am 25. I'm on my second year of working now, if that makes sense.

I thought the bolded said you're an excellent person and was like :woo:

Then I realised and was like, oh, ok. :sad:

But thank you for your kind words. They have made me feel better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JBLondon)
    An access course
    Are they are difficult as A levels?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.