Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am working at a university full time and I will be also starting a master's in september but a full time one (same uni I work in). Is it doable?

I have seen the lecture times and I will be missing maybe 50% of lectures, but are lectures that important?

When I was an undergraduate I didn't go to most of them anyway.
    If you self study then I think you can pick up easily no?

Has anybody tried this?
    The reason I am not leaving my job is because I need the money to pay for the master's, and living expenses.

EDIT: My job is not streassful at all and it will allow me to easily work on courseworks and even maybe read some notes or lectures. I am a programmer, and I will do have access to a computer to od any courseworks related.
    To cut a long story short, I almost do nothing at my job every day. I do have a lot of free time. The reason I am doing the masters is to find a job in a field that I like, which it will be a bit hard to do without a masters.

ReputationRep:
    Only you can judge how much time you'll realistically be able to devote to your job and your course. Personally, I would not contemplate a full-time course alongside a full-time job. I also wouldn't be arrogant enough to assume I could get by skipping half of the delivered content. Up to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Only you can judge how much time you'll realistically be able to devote to your job and your course. Personally, I would not contemplate a full-time course alongside a full-time job. I also wouldn't be arrogant enough to assume I could get by skipping half of the delivered content. Up to you.
    It is not about being arrogant. It is what I can manage given my leave and what my manager allows. If I can attend 50% of lectures I will have to do with that. Why did you think it was necessary to call me that? Do you want me to call you names? Because you would not like that.

I am here because I want some advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pantelis)
    It is not about being arrogant. It is what I can manage given my leave and what my manager allows. If I can attend 50% of lectures I will have to do with that. Why did you think it was necessary to call me that? Do you want me to call you names? Because you would not like that.

I am here because I want some advice.
    I gave you some advice. It's not my problem if you don't like it. If you came here wanting everyone to say 'don't worry, it'll be fine, you can easily do both' then tough.

I still think you're being arrogant by automatically assuming you can pass a masters course without attending half of the scheduled contact time. You don't seem to think that will be a problem. Without committing 100% to either your job or the course maybe it will, maybe it won't.

I've already got my masters degrees (one full-time, one part-time) so I know a little bit about the workloads and pressures involved in studying at postgraduate level. I'm not going to get into a debate with you here - you can do whatever you want.

ReputationRep:
    I gave you some advice. It's not my problem if you don't like it. If you came here wanting everyone to say 'don't worry, it'll be fine, you can easily do both' then tough.

I still think you're being arrogant by automatically assuming you can pass a masters course without attending half of the scheduled contact time. You don't seem to think that will be a problem. Without committing 100% to either your job or the course maybe it will, maybe it won't.

I've already got my masters degrees (one full-time, one part-time) so I know a little bit about the workloads and pressures involved in studying at postgraduate level. I'm not going to get into a debate with you here - you can do whatever you want.
    You did a full time's master degree? With a full time job? Care to share details?

ReputationRep:

I forgot to mention something that maybe I shouldn't.

I do have access to all the current lecture notes and courseworks. So until the degree starts, I am hoping to have most of the courseworks done. All of them are doable by reading the notes only and relevent book chapters.

ReputationRep:
    You did a full time's master degree? With a full time job? Care to share details?
    I wasn't working while I did my MSc full-time. I was also an officer in the TA at the time, played rugby for the university and had a social life. Some weeks had lectures Monday to Friday, 0900-1700. Lecturers give a lot of hints, tips, exam techniques etc so if I'd missed any of that it would have made the exams much harder.

I'm not saying you couldn't combine your course with a full-time job, I just think you need to consider seriously how feasible it might be. Would your boss give you time off to study around exams, for example? What would happen when you need to work on an assignment and your boss suddenly gives you extra work? Would you even tell your boss you'd committed to a full-time course?

If you think you can handle all that then by all means go for it - and good luck with it!

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to mention something that maybe I shouldn't.

I do have access to all the current lecture notes and courseworks. So until the degree starts, I am hoping to have most of the courseworks done. All of them are doable by reading the notes only and relevent book chapters.
    That would make it easier for you. By all means read the books but be aware that coursework and assignments do change.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't working while I did my MSc full-time. I was also an officer in the TA at the time, played rugby for the university and had a social life. Some weeks had lectures Monday to Friday, 0900-1700. Lecturers give a lot of hints, tips, exam techniques etc so if I'd missed any of that it would have made the exams much harder.

I'm not saying you couldn't combine your course with a full-time job, I just think you need to consider seriously how feasible it might be. Would your boss give you time off to study around exams, for example? What would happen when you need to work on an assignment and your boss suddenly gives you extra work? Would you even tell your boss you'd committed to a full-time course?

If you think you can handle all that then by all means go for it - and good luck with it!
    I have made up a rough timetable and using all my annual leave I can attend at most 50%. if I am lucky maybe 55% (sick leaves and things.) I will not be missing revision lectures.

My boss would give me extra work? My job here finishes at 5 for all. In 15 years nobody had to do any work after 5.

My boss told me I could leave early, leave late as long as I complete 7 hours per day.

I have no social life, or friends to spend time on (lol sad I know but anyway.)

ReputationRep:
    That would make it easier for you. By all means read the books but be aware that coursework and assignments do change.
    They do change but most of the time, they are similar. So at least I got this for me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.