Is it bad to lack opinions on things I lack knowledge on? Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Is it bad to lack opinions on things I lack knowledge on?

There is so much I don't know and I find it hard to form opinions without some of the facts.

This can be frustrating to other people who jump to conclusions more readily.

Which is better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)

There is so much I don't know and I find it hard to form opinions without some of the facts.

Which is better?
    If only there were more people like you in the world. No it is not bad. It's actually incredibly mature and progressive to think like that. I'm the same, I never knew much about a lot of things and thus just didn't articulate an opinion because I was aware of how much I didn't know or that what I knew was fallible.

I always say this to people on one of the things I am relatively well informed on and passionate about: GM food. A lot of people have all these extreme opinions against it but couldn't even tell me what GM technology actually is and what the process involves, let alone tell me any of the techniques in conventional agriculture that are equally as manipulative.

Stay like that, and as you inform yourself more you will naturally be like 'oh yes that's how I feel about X'. It will creep up on you and you will feel liberated when it does happen and in my opinion frees you from cognitive bias to a greater extent than most.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say no but I don't think anyone really does that... we're judgemental beings.

ReputationRep:
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.” - Plato
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Which is better?
    This is good. Don't form opinions of which you have no knowledge or factual information about.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    This is good. Don't form opinions of which you have no knowledge or factual information about.
    It sounds good when discussing big issues like GM that Ethereal World mentioned or perhaps some current events matter.

The problem is when when it comes to more common points of conversation where you're not expected to have much knowledge but might still be pushed for your stance.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I don't think there is anything wrong with forming opinions even when you feel you don't know enough about the subject to be strong in that position because you cannot possibly always have all of the facts at any given time for every subject. You just need to ensure that these views are always open to revision and that they remain malleable in the face of new information. There are a great many things I consider myself woefully under-informed about so I'm always sure to prefix my opinions appropriately when discussing them (GM tech would be a good example, as I have a "ten minutes on Wikipedia" understanding of it) but I would prefer to hold some position or other, even a tenuous one, than no position at all on any subject that I know at least something about because I find it easier to learn that way.

This being said, whenever I don't know about something I quickly go out of my way to learn enough about it to at least have a bare bones understanding so I agree with you in a sense. I would add, however, that it is better to take the initiative and educate yourself than to wait for somebody else to educate you if it is a subject you care about at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    I don't think there is anything wrong with forming opinions even when you feel you don't know enough about the subject to be strong in that position because you cannot possibly always have all of the facts at any given time for every subject. You just need to ensure that these views are always open to revision and that they remain malleable in the face of new information. There are a great many things I consider myself woefully under-informed about so I'm always sure to prefix my opinions appropriately when discussing them (GM tech would be a good example, as I have a "ten minutes on Wikipedia" understanding of it) but I would prefer to hold some position or other, even a tenuous one, than no position at all on any subject that I know at least something about because I find it easier to learn that way.

This being said, whenever I don't know about something I quickly go out of my way to learn enough about it to at least have a bare bones understanding so I agree with you in a sense. I would add, however, that it is better to take the initiative and educate yourself than to wait for somebody else to educate you if it is a subject you care about at all.
    PRSOM Ironic Hero
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad

I do have thoughts but they tend to be vague impressions which solidify into fully fledged opinions as I gain more of an understanding of the issue at hand. And I have wasted many an afternoon website mining on something that takes my fancy as I wish to better revise my opinion. But I am woefully ignorant on many issues and I'm aware there's some difference between others and I in this regard.

It is not to say that I can't consider unknown situations. I had to do this in December for a University interview but there's a difference between that and having a position on the issue. For instance - and this is a bad example - if someone were to give me their composition, I would be able to give a reasonable opinion of the piece and comment on where I thought they could improve. There is much I don't know about the subject but I am confident enough to be able to have an opinion even if my criticism isn't as valuable as that of a musicologist. But take a piece of poetry. I could comment on their grammar, or lack thereof, and comment on the rhyming or familiar poetic devices but I lack that step in thinking to know if I think it's a good piece of poetry. I might consider it "not atrocious" (but few things would be) but I would lack a true opinion. Most of what I say would be fact or redundant truisms.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Ethereal World)
    PRSOM Ironic Hero
    She's great, isn't she :heart: :kiss:.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.” - Plato
    "Wise men say "only fools rush in". But I can't help falling in love with you." - Elvis

ReputationRep:
    She's great, isn't she :heart: :kiss:.
    He?!

BH is a guy. Confirmed.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    He?!

BH is a guy. Confirmed.
    :hubba:

If only there were more people like you in the world. No it is not bad. It's actually incredibly mature and progressive to think like that. I'm the same, I never knew much about a lot of things and thus just didn't articulate an opinion because I was aware of how much I didn't know or that what I knew was fallible.
    You think? Glad to hear someone thinks similarly . My opinions are predicated upon me having to have a "why" (unless it's one of those remnants of childhood indoctrination (not just in the religious sense)) so it's difficult for me to be different.

I always say this to people on one of the things I am relatively well informed on and passionate about: GM food. A lot of people have all these extreme opinions against it but couldn't even tell me what GM technology actually is and what the process involves, let alone tell me any of the techniques in conventional agriculture that are equally as manipulative.
    Interesting you use that example though. Their reasoning might be flawed but they do have reasons for their beliefs, generally. Like some misinformation spread by natural vegan-type blogs. It is fine to not consider some new fact because we don't know what we don't know. What I'm saying is that I have an on the fence, I'm not sure stance for a lot longer than others. Being swayed by the wrong source of info or misleading rhetoric is a bit different.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    PRSOM Ironic Hero
    You could have been the one to give me my tenth gem, but alas it was another.

I didn't even realise I was close :lol:

I was on 9 like 5 years ago or something :rofl:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    He?!

BH is a guy. Confirmed.
    To be fair I've not confirmed it for you....

Yet :perv:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    You could have been the one to give me my tenth gem, but alas it was another.

I didn't even realise I was close :lol:

I was on 9 like 5 years ago or something :rofl:
    Was I your first recipient of those 10 bad boys? :smug:

ReputationRep:
    Providing you draw a line, and perhaps (not necessarily) you had intentions of rectifying that.

It is a sensible thing to do I think (in a lot of situations), and I do it often. There are situations where I think it's better to form an opinion though so it can be criticised, such as if you debate frequently, and then you've at least got somewhere instead of remaining in idleness and remaining static.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Was I your first recipient of those 10 bad boys? :smug:
    I'm afraid Ethereal was the first to receive that load. You were second which, as playground logic dictates, is actually the best.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad

Which is better?
    Nah, you got it right dude
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I'm afraid Ethereal was the first to receive that load.
    :nothing:

I can live with 2nd.

(Original post by XcitingStuart)
    Providing you draw a line, and perhaps (not necessarily) you had intentions of rectifying that.

It is a sensible thing to do I think (in a lot of situations), and I do it often. There are situations where I think it's better to form an opinion though so it can be criticised, such as if you debate frequently, and then you've at least got somewhere instead of remaining in idleness and remaining static.
    I don't understand what you mean by the bolded. Rectifying what?

I am not so good at debate but I am capable of making a case for most stances, though, so even if I'm undecided, I can at least form a pseudo-opinion for a lot of things. For instance, at an open day for Cambz some years ago, I once had to debate the legalisation of some class B drugs such as cannabis. I was staunchly against the issue at the time but it was fun being in the pro-legalisation team. An intellectual challenge.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.