Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how to make mobile apps? It may sound really stupid but I have had an idea for a app that I think would be really good. Iv had a look through android and ios apps and havent yet found anything similar to my idea. If anyone could give me any advice or point me in the right direction i would be very greatful. I have no idea where to start but we all have to start somewhere right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LMMAC)
    Does anyone know how to make mobile apps? It may sound really stupid but I have had an idea for a app that I think would be really good. Iv had a look through android and ios apps and havent yet found anything similar to my idea. If anyone could give me any advice or point me in the right direction i would be very greatful. I have no idea where to start but we all have to start somewhere right?
    Depends what you wanna do, if its a game then you wanna look at unity 3d which is cross platform, but if its a normal app then you have two choices between ios and android. ios development uses swift language where as android uses java. Android development is probably easier than ios and its very cheap to put your app on the google play store compared to apple who charges like 99$ a year and requires you to have an os x based computer. Android development is done in a software called android studio and theres lots of tutorials on youtube, I recommend thenewboston and slidenerd channels

ReputationRep:
    Just hire a freelancer to do it for you. Chances are, you'll make a mess if you attempt to do it yourself.

ReputationRep:
    They charge a lot of money, I'd steer clear of doing that.

ReputationRep:
    What's the basis of the app? Once I know that I can give you tips on where to start and what have you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Venatal)
    What's the basis of the app? Once I know that I can give you tips on where to start and what have you.
    Its a kids game to encourage healthy development and making it fun. It Would need lot of colour and sound to hold a kids attention, although i wouldnt what the graphics to be too complicated as i wouldnt want to comfuse kids. It would also have to have a seperate log in section for parents. When you say it would be expensive to hire a freelancer to create the app for me, how much roughly are we talking? More than £1000? I think i would be willing to invest some money into it if thats what i have to do. But i also dont want to get carried away with myself as i know lots of these things wont be very sussessful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigboateng_)
    Depends what you wanna do, if its a game then you wanna look at unity 3d which is cross platform, but if its a normal app then you have two choices between ios and android. ios development uses swift language where as android uses java. Android development is probably easier than ios and its very cheap to put your app on the google play store compared to apple who charges like 99$ a year and requires you to have an os x based computer. Android development is done in a software called android studio and theres lots of tutorials on youtube, I recommend thenewboston and slidenerd channels
    Thanks for the info. Im thinking ill have a look into starting with android development then. I had a look at some videos about android studio on youtube so i'll see where that takes me. Its alot of stuff but very good discriptions so hopefully i dont get lost. Thanks again ☺

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Async)
    Just hire a freelancer to do it for you. Chances are, you'll make a mess if you attempt to do it yourself.
    Ok thanks ill have a look into this too. If I was to hire a freelancer does this mean that they will also have rights to it in anyway or how would I be legally protected that its my idea and not theirs?

ReputationRep:
    Many people have million dollar ideas but it is about the execution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LMMAC)
    Ok thanks ill have a look into this too. If I was to hire a freelancer does this mean that they will also have rights to it in anyway or how would I be legally protected that its my idea and not theirs?
    Read their reviews, sign an NDA, don't pay all of the money in one go. If the app is quite complex then it will cost significantly more than £1k.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.