Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm a boy and was molested when I was young by a gay male, and I think I have a slight hint of homophobia in me because of that. What can I do? I can't seem to grow out of it

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry to hear

Is a counselling type of therapy an option available/right for you?

ReputationRep:
    report it to the police, they will investigate. just because it happened a while ago dosent mean it cant be investigated

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm a boy and was molested when I was young by a gay male, and I think I have a slight hint of homophobia in me because of that. What can I do? I can't seem to grow out of it
    I feel ya bruv. I was raped when I was nine by another male. I was homophobic until I realised I was gay.

I would recommend surrounding yourself with the people you are slightly against to sort it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    You don't have homophobia. You have a phobia of your abuser and displaced rage caused by your abuse.

As a survivor of abuse myself, I assure you; there IS light at the end at the end of the tunnel.

An abuser only has power over their victim through fear, and through the silence of their victim. Speak out, and you take your power back.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.