Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You believe in equality,but yet you say you're not a feminist? Of course you can argue that third wave feminism is becoming something of a joke,but consider that in many countries across the globe women are still actively discriminated against and are denied the same basic rights as men. Not all feminists are campaigning for the nipple to be free or free bleeding,many are fighting for real issues that are affecting millions of women worldwide. Don't let the actions of some feminists cloud your view on feminism as a whole. Feminism by definition is the belief that women should be entitled to same social,political and economic rights as men. I know you essentially believe in equal rights for both genders, but I don't understand how you say you believe in equality but are not a feminist. I guess you could say feminism focuses more on female issues, but this is because feminism was 'conceived' during a time when women were treated less equally than they are today-and like I've mentioned,even now the oppression of women is still very common in some countries. I identify as a feminist, and I'm not ashamed to do so. I grew up in the Middle East and Africa, and can undoubtedly say feminism is still very much needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emily-brown)
    I'm not a feminist because I'm an egalitarian.

But I bet some people who read that title suddenly got really angry because they believe I hated myself and was sexist or whatever. But no, I fight for equal rights and it is my choice to "identify" as an egalitarian instead of a feminist.

But for some reason people still hate on me, tell me to kill myself, call me ugly, sexist, racist, misogynist etc, all of which I most certainly am not. Why am I hated on for being an egalitarian? Isn't it a feminist issue that women are discriminated against for their opinions?

Feminism does not own "equality". People, like myself, can want equality and not be a feminist I'm afraid.
    Repped for several reasons.

While I'm a male I've always hated feminists, not because I'm sexist or misogynist but because I believe everyone should be equal. Until I read your post I didn't know what that was called, I've been trying to find out for ages and now I can finally call myself a egalitarian.

Also, I noted a connection between this argument and an argument I've been making for a while as a Libertarian. I'm a Libertarian and believe in Liberty but as soon as Liberals hear that you're a libertarian they hate you for being different. That's similar to this, but with egalitarian rather than Libertarian and feminist in place of Liberal.

Finally, I also repped due to your avatar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Are they still fighting for the vote?
    Did you read my first reply to this thread?

It is the aspirations, the drive for equality that is at the heart of feminism. Women's voices all over the world are silenced everyday, the need for feminism is still strong.

Also, sarcasm is a pretty snarky way of delivering a point, maybe work on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    this doesn't even make sense :dontknow:

x = π - 5
    x = 5 - π

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPO92)
    Did you read my first reply to this thread?

It is the aspirations, the drive for equality that is at the heart of feminism. Women's voices all over the world are silenced everyday, the need for feminism is still strong.

Also, sarcasm is a pretty snarky way of delivering a point, maybe work on that.
    I thought it was a women's rights movement, have I got that wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by childofthesun)
    You believe in equality,but yet you say you're not a feminist? Of course you can argue that third wave feminism is becoming something of a joke,but consider that in many countries across the globe women are still actively discriminated against and are denied the same basic rights as men. Not all feminists are campaigning for the nipple to be free or free bleeding,many are fighting for real issues that are affecting millions of women worldwide. Don't let the actions of some feminists cloud your view on feminism as a whole. Feminism by definition is the belief that women should be entitled to same social,political and economic rights as men. I know you essentially believe in equal rights for both genders, but I don't understand how you say you believe in equality but are not a feminist. I guess you could say feminism focuses more on female issues, but this is because feminism was 'conceived' during a time when women were treated less equally than they are today-and like I've mentioned,even now the oppression of women is still very common in some countries. I identify as a feminist, and I'm not ashamed to do so. I grew up in the Middle East and Africa, and can undoubtedly say feminism is still very much needed.
    This this this. Original post and most of the thread reeks of 1stworldgrivance.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was a women's rights movement, have I got that wrong?
    Now it's my turn to use sarcasm.

I suppose that women's rights END when they get vote then don't they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPO92)
    Now it's my turn to use sarcasm.

I suppose that women's rights END when they get vote then don't they?
    You failed on that one. You said they are for equality, but only pushing for women's rights is not equality.

ReputationRep:
    You failed on that one. You said they are for equality, but only pushing for women's rights is not equality.
    Yes it is, what do you not understand, how can I spell it out for you?

Fighting for women's rights is equality between the sexes. In certain places and certain situations men are in superior positions to women, therefore feminism must exist in order to attain equality.

Outside of equality of the sexes, I am still fighting for equality, do you understand that? I'm also a marxist, so i fight for equality across the social classes, I'm also against racial innequalities etc.

ReputationRep:
    Again, the acts of feminists have not at all made me decide on my opinion and I didn't state that anywhere. Feminism is only one of the many ideologies to fight for equality, it just happens to be the most mainstream one. Egalitarians are also fighting for many of the same issues you mentioned, but that doesn't make the ideologies the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sun Ras)
    This this this. Original post and most of the thread reeks of 1stworldgrivance.
    Charming way to talk about other's opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by childofthesun;[url="tel:62985571")
    62985571[/url]]You believe in equality,but yet you say you're not a feminist? Of course you can argue that third wave feminism is becoming something of a joke,but consider that in many countries across the globe women are still actively discriminated against and are denied the same basic rights as men. Not all feminists are campaigning for the nipple to be free or free bleeding,many are fighting for real issues that are affecting millions of women worldwide. Don't let the actions of some feminists cloud your view on feminism as a whole. Feminism by definition is the belief that women should be entitled to same social,political and economic rights as men. I know you essentially believe in equal rights for both genders, but I don't understand how you say you believe in equality but are not a feminist. I guess you could say feminism focuses more on female issues, but this is because feminism was 'conceived' during a time when women were treated less equally than they are today-and like I've mentioned,even now the oppression of women is still very common in some countries. I identify as a feminist, and I'm not ashamed to do so. I grew up in the Middle East and Africa, and can undoubtedly say feminism is still very much needed.
    +1 everything is spot on^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdderDee)
    x = 5 - π
    AHHHH shh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPO92)
    Yes it is, what do you not understand, how can I spell it out for you?

Fighting for women's rights is equality between the sexes. In certain places and certain situations men are in superior positions to women, therefore feminism must exist in order to attain equality.
    Well it isn't equality, it is the raising of one genders rights while ignoring the issues of another.

ReputationRep:
    x=1.86 holy **** ahaha this is the worst ****ing meme thing ever im saving this for some juicy ironic banter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emily-brown)
    Again, the acts of feminists have not at all made me decide on my opinion and I didn't state that anywhere. Feminism is only one of the many ideologies to fight for equality, it just happens to be the most mainstream one. Egalitarians are also fighting for many of the same issues you mentioned, but that doesn't make the ideologies the same.
    What is it about feminism that makes you reject it? I'd argue that egalitarianism encompasses feminism,while also including racial equality, equality for all regardless of sexuality,religion,social class etc. This is why to me, your OP is contradictory.
    '"I believe everyone should be equal regardless of gender,race,sexuality etc, but no I don't support a movement that advocates for women to have the same rights as men"-this is basically what you are saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPO92)
    There is no difference between modern day feminism and the feminism of the past. You're making a generalisation by saying that being a feminist is only supporting 'modern day feminism', whatever that is...
    And you're making the generalisation that not identifying yourself as a feminist means that you reject the history of feminism which is untrue.

ReputationRep:
    What is it about feminism that makes you reject it? I'd argue that egalitarianism encompasses feminism,while also including racial equality, equality for all regardless of sexuality,religion,social class etc. This is why to me, your OP is contradictory.
    '"I believe everyone should be equal regardless of gender,race,sexuality etc, but no I don't support a movement that advocates for women to have the same rights as men"-this is basically what you are saying.
    I think it's probably the crazy feminists that she doesn't want to associate herself with and like you said, egalitarianism encompasses feminism anyway which is why she identifies herself as an egalitarian instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by High Stakes)
    You're the awesomest wife in the world. :kissing2:Luv you.
    awww babe! :blush: luv u moreeee ofc
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :lovie:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivy.98)
    awww babe! :blush: luv u moreeee ofc
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :lovie:
    Getting hot in here xdddddd

@High stakes GET EM TIGER :smug:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.