Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivy.98)
    dis advanced english
    (Since when did typing like you have special needs become a thing.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gryffindorian)
    (Since when did typing like you have special needs become a thing.)
    stop the saltiness :////

ReputationRep:
    stop the saltiness :////
    But Walker's Salt and Vinegar is "bae."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emily-brown)
    I'm not a feminist because I'm an egalitarian.

But I bet some people who read that title suddenly got really angry because they believe I hated myself and was sexist or whatever. But no, I fight for equal rights and it is my choice to "identify" as an egalitarian instead of a feminist.

But for some reason people still hate on me, tell me to kill myself, call me ugly, sexist, racist, misogynist etc, all of which I most certainly am not. Why am I hated on for being an egalitarian? Isn't it a feminist issue that women are discriminated against for their opinions?

Feminism does not own "equality". People, like myself, can want equality and not be a feminist I'm afraid.

Edit: May I highlight the last two sentences above. I want equality but I am not a feminist. Many of you are commenting on this, as it may not make sense to some people. Feminism is not the only ideology to fight for equality. Feminism only happens to be the most mainstream of them all. Many of the ideologies fight for the same things, but all have different aims. I think the definitions make this clear-

Feminism: the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of equality of the sexes
    Egalitarianism: believing in or based on the principle that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities

So yes, you can say I do fight for the same issues as feminism, but I do it under egalitarianism.
    do you want a cookie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gryffindorian)
    But Walker's Salt and Vinegar is "bae."
    dafuuuq.

how old are you?

ReputationRep:
    dafuuuq.

how old are you?
    Why.

ReputationRep:
    This is one of the main things I get said to me when I tell someone I'm an egalitarian and not a feminist. I have done my research into both ideologies and made my decision on what I feel suits me best.
    Trust me, as someone who's doing their dissertation on feminist / gender history I can tell you that the two are very much similar.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a feminist because I'm an egalitarian.

But I bet some people who read that title suddenly got really angry because they believe I hated myself and was sexist or whatever. But no, I fight for equal rights and it is my choice to "identify" as an egalitarian instead of a feminist.

But for some reason people still hate on me, tell me to kill myself, call me ugly, sexist, racist, misogynist etc, all of which I most certainly am not. Why am I hated on for being an egalitarian? Isn't it a feminist issue that women are discriminated against for their opinions?

Feminism does not own "equality". People, like myself, can want equality and not be a feminist I'm afraid.

Edit: May I highlight the last two sentences above. I want equality but I am not a feminist. Many of you are commenting on this, as it may not make sense to some people. Feminism is not the only ideology to fight for equality. Feminism only happens to be the most mainstream of them all. Many of the ideologies fight for the same things, but all have different aims. I think the definitions make this clear-

Feminism: the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of equality of the sexes
    Egalitarianism: believing in or based on the principle that all people are equal and deserve equal rights and opportunities

So yes, you can say I do fight for the same issues as feminism, but I do it under egalitarianism.
    Just try to ignore them as much as you can, as an egalitarian you truly care about advocating equal rights. Modern feminists want to have preferential treatment to men, not equal treatment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPO92)
    Feminism is not something that can be taken so literally. People assume its a movement towards a Matriarchal society. This is not the case. You can call yourself egalitarian if you like, but it makes no difference, your aims and mine are the same, you just choose to call yourself something else.

What I might draw your attention to, is the fact that when you reject feminism, you reject its history, you reject the women who fought for your rights to the point of death in some cases, and you reject its relevancy, if not in the UK, then in the wider world. Words carry the weight of their history, and the goals and aspirations for the future in their utterance.
    Except the connotations of a movement's name are very much influenced by the common public's perception of it. Unfortunately, a rise of individualism in modern-day society has led to a greater craving for identity, causing feminism to become host to an innumerable amount of self-righteous pseudo-activists looking for another bandwagon to hop onto; feminism has been hijacked by such individuals, and in-turn, its reputation tarnished.

May I remind you that 20th century context is vastly different to that of the 21st century. Society evolves with time, as does the public perception of movements consequently establishing the need for individuals to adopt a label which better represents the values they advocate—even if those values stem from elsewhere.

Whilst myself and other egalitarians are fully aware of the roots of feminism, adopting egalitarianism certainly isn't a rejection of them—but rather, a recognition that the values feminism once stood for have been abandoned, as the motives propelling the movement have become increasingly redundant; the initial aim of allowing women the same rights as men has largely been achieved in the Western world, and has since been replaced with needless scrutiny of trivialities and declaration of falsehoods. "Feminism" now serves as a term for which a formidable number of self-proclaimed feminists can masquerade as principled progressives, whom—in reality—exert their buried victim complexes and equate imputing non-issues onto a supposed patriarchy with progressivism.

Now, I'm not denying that there is discrimination against females, nor am I arguing the genders are perfectly equal, because they clearly are not. However, I feel that as we now live in a society where both women and men are disadvantaged in certain cases, we ought to move towards accommodating for both genders; people like to claim that feminism does—but the fact remains that feminism began in the interests of women, not men—and continues to, for the overwhelmingly vocal percentage act in such a manner. On the contrary, egalitarianism acts in the interests of both.

I don't believe males and females will ever be entirely equal, since by nature, we are unequal. However, making it a contest between who has it worse it utterly inutile; recognise there are areas in which both men and women are deprived of the same rights, and cooperate to amend them.

TL;DR: Feminism is obsolete in modern-day Western society; egalitarianism is better suited to present gender disparity and should be considered to be an offshoot of feminism which builds upon its preexisting values, rather than a departure from them.

ReputationRep:
    I struggle to accept the typical "feminism is equality" response on the grounds that the movement as a whole clearly chooses to view the world from a predominantly female perspective. Issues that affect both men and women are suddenly "women's issues", for example. Everything is aways framed as some kind of anti-woman conspiracy, and the feminst narative on issues like rape, harassment, and sexual assault are borderline religious fundamentalist in nature. No, 1-in-3 women are not raped on their way the the grocery store. Wait, did I say grocery store!? SEXIST!

And despite being all about equality, little effort is made to consider matters from the male perspective. Men's feelings, rights and experiences come second (because we are the privileged, oppressive overlords, as the theory goes). And then there are the double standards. Notice how they very rarely choose to apply their strict codes of social and sexual conduct to women. Not particularly egalitarian of them, if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPO92)
    I am a marxist, I fight against social class innequalities, I am a feminist, I fight against gender innequalities, I fight for racial equality. I choose to go by these individual titles, because they are titles that have been hard won by the people who campaigned under them. It is a mark of respect and admiration.

Just to be clear, when I say I fight for gender innequalities, that is men as well obvously...

Gender is a social construct, intersex people have every bit as much right to equality as anyone else.
    You're contradicting yourself, but whatever. I cannot be bothered to argue/debate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bad Faith)
    You're contradicting yourself, but whatever. I cannot be bothered to argue/debate.
    Really, this all boils down to the fact that you can't understand how a name like feminism can cover gender equality. You can't get your head around it. How many words in the English language would seem odd in their meaning if we really took them apart and analysed their origins?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPO92)
    Really, this all boils down to the fact that you can't understand how a name like feminism can cover gender equality. You can't get your head around it. How many words in the English language would seem odd in their meaning if we really took them apart and analysed their origins?
    Not that many.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPO92)
    Feminism is based around women's rights on the basis of gender equality. I don't know which definition you're using but as pointed out before, feminism is defined as "the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes." So essentially, feminism is about achieving equality of the sexes through advocating women's rights.
    That is the official definition of feminism, if you have a problem with it please go take it up with the person who defines these things. You can't expect everyone to accept your definition of it.

ReputationRep:
    Good for you, OP. Glad to see people who choose to think freely.

ReputationRep:
    I've always identified as egalitarian because I believe in equality for all, regardless of your gender, sexuality, race, religion, nationality, hair colour, weight, looks etc. I don't believe anyone is superior or inferior. Everyone is equally important.

ReputationRep:
    why all you feminists arguing for?

ReputationRep:
    who's going to iron my trousers?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Do you actually do any egalitarian activism or are you really just anti-feminism?

ReputationRep:
    you should be doing the dishes

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.