Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there anything nice I can do for my friend? Watch

Hi guys!
    So one of my friends is having a terrible time right now. One of his family members is self harming to the point of hospitalisation and this is about the tenth time it's happened.
    He always says he's so so grateful when I say he can always come to me if he wants to talk, and often he does, but that's all I can say. He came into work today and looked like he was going to cry but just carried on. I wish there was anything I could do that's nice for him? Given the fact they keep self-harming and there's nothing him or his mum can do to help, I definitely can't help the situation directly either, but wish there was something I could do? Just to show him people are thinking of him as he's so low himself

ReputationRep:
    you seem like a really good person as your looking out for your friends. i would honestly say just respect his boundaries, if he is upset he knows he can come up to you and talk t you. if you keep asking him you will push him away. try cheering him up when hes feeling down
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi guys!
    So one of my friends is having a terrible time right now. One of his family members is self harming to the point of hospitalisation and this is about the tenth time it's happened.
    He always says he's so so grateful when I say he can always come to me if he wants to talk, and often he does, but that's all I can say. He came into work today and looked like he was going to cry but just carried on. I wish there was anything I could do that's nice for him? Given the fact they keep self-harming and there's nothing him or his mum can do to help, I definitely can't help the situation directly either, but wish there was something I could do? Just to show him people are thinking of him as he's so low himself
    Tell you what you might be able to do… perhaps you could distract him a little bit? Take him out to lunch, have something to eat, have a good chat and make sure that he knows you're there for him. Some people would rather not discuss the problem but like to know that people are there when they need them. When one of my friends is feeling down, they get an obligatory invitation to coffee. :yep: I hope he feels better soon and it sucks what he's going through, you sound like a great friend

(Original post by mkap)
    you seem like a really good person as your looking out for your friends. i would honestly say just respect his boundaries, if he is upset he knows he can come up to you and talk t you. if you keep asking him you will push him away. try cheering him up when hes feeling down
    Yeah I see what you're saying, thanks

(Original post by iEthan)
    Tell you what you might be able to do… perhaps you could distract him a little bit? Take him out to lunch, have something to eat, have a good chat and make sure that he knows you're there for him. Some people would rather not discuss the problem but like to know that people are there when they need them. When one of my friends is feeling down, they get an obligatory invitation to coffee. :yep: I hope he feels better soon and it sucks what he's going through, you sound like a great friend
    Thanks for your advice, I'm thinking going out with him and one or two of the other guys might be a nice idea and if he brings it up there then we can talk about it! Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for your advice, I'm thinking going out with him and one or two of the other guys might be a nice idea and if he brings it up there then we can talk about it! Thanks
    No problem OP, all the best :hugs:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.