Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'm currently a final year English lit. undergraduate student, and I've applied to MA illustration since I really want to do something that combines my love for both stories and visuals/ drawing. I've applied for MA illustration courses at Edinburgh, UAL, Falmouth, Arts University Bournemouth, and Portsmouth, and have offers from Bournemouth, Falmouth, and Portsmouth- still waiting on the other two.

Basically, having done my undergrad in a different subject, I have no idea where to go. I've never been to any of those places except Edinburgh (where I currently am) and place/ culture is a big factor for me. Employ-ability after graduation is another major factor.

Has anyone studied illustration at any of these places? Bournemouth seems keen on me and more hands- on, whereas Falmouth didn't even ask for interview before making an offer which I found kind of odd? I also have to either decline or accept Falmouth's offer by early next week so hardly any time to mull it over...

I've never really even been anywhere south of the border apart from London so if anyone has anything to share on any of these places I'd be super grateful. As in, what's the environment like, is it vibrant, open minded, what are the people like, etc...

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grannygrantham)
    Hey guys,

I'm currently a final year English lit. undergraduate student, and I've applied to MA illustration since I really want to do something that combines my love for both stories and visuals/ drawing. I've applied for MA illustration courses at Edinburgh, UAL, Falmouth, Arts University Bournemouth, and Portsmouth, and have offers from Bournemouth, Falmouth, and Portsmouth- still waiting on the other two.

Basically, having done my undergrad in a different subject, I have no idea where to go. I've never been to any of those places except Edinburgh (where I currently am) and place/ culture is a big factor for me. Employ-ability after graduation is another major factor.

Has anyone studied illustration at any of these places? Bournemouth seems keen on me and more hands- on, whereas Falmouth didn't even ask for interview before making an offer which I found kind of odd? I also have to either decline or accept Falmouth's offer by early next week so hardly any time to mull it over...

I've never really even been anywhere south of the border apart from London so if anyone has anything to share on any of these places I'd be super grateful. As in, what's the environment like, is it vibrant, open minded, what are the people like, etc...

Thanks!
    Falmouth is really beautiful, but it is a very small and quiet town. I'm really surprised that they didn't ask for an interview! Did you not have to show them a portfolio or anything?

Bournemouth is a good student city- and it's got a nice beach (always a bonus!)

I'd personally go for UAL- it's really prestigious for the arts and being in London for your masters would be pretty cool! (Although you'd have to factor in the extra cost of living which can be a deal breaker)

Good luck with your choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tank Girl)
    Falmouth is really beautiful, but it is a very small and quiet town. I'm really surprised that they didn't ask for an interview! Did you not have to show them a portfolio or anything?

Bournemouth is a good student city- and it's got a nice beach (always a bonus!)

I'd personally go for UAL- it's really prestigious for the arts and being in London for your masters would be pretty cool! (Although you'd have to factor in the extra cost of living which can be a deal breaker)

Good luck with your choice!
    Ah thank you for the reply

Yeah the offer without interview surprised me too- also the fact that I was given a 2 week window to either decline or accept- don't know if that's normal. They did ask for a portfolio and I sent it, but that was it. I'd have liked the chance to talk to them and get to know more.

The thing with UAL is that from the sound of their course, it looks like they expect you to be self- taught. Even for the application I had to write a 1000 word study proposal explaining how I would go about my studies, whereas the others seem a bit more involved. Being in London would definitely be cool, but I have no clue what part of the city Camberwell college is in, plus like you said it's expensive...

As you can see I'm pretty confused, sorry for rambling :P At this point I guess it just depends on the place and how good the university is at potentially landing you jobs with studios/ clients.

ReputationRep:
    Dear Granny Grantham,
    Please can I pick your brain about where you went? I am also an English Lit grad wanting to do an MA in illustration. Currently doing a short course in Illustration at AUB to check it out and get myself back into drawing again. I'd really appreciate any advice you can give and be great to hear where you ended up studying. It would also be really helpful to me to read your applications if that wouldn't be too forward? To help me get th how to word my desire to transition to illustration from a major in literature. Like you I see the story telling and skills in communication elements of my literature degree as being grately beneficial, but could really do with some advice on how to word this in my application. Thanks, Hattie

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.