Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok gonna try and keep this nice and short and not overcomplicate things because I tend to do that aha. Before I started uni I worked for a company (retail), I left this job when I moved to my University but was offered to come back during holidays when I was home. So the first Christmas back (Two years ago now) I went back and worked, then the next month when I was back at uni I noticed I didn't get paid for that work. I realised they hadn't kept my payment details on the system when I handed my resignation letter and started a new contract when I came back and being the super organised store that we were no one higher up had realised this whilst I was working and thought to get my details (admittedly them not keeping my details seems like an obvious thing now but at the time I was pretty naive to how things all worked). I made a few attempts to get in contact with them and sort it all out but the person I needed to talk to was never available and never called back and I had no clue who else would be able to sort it out for me. So in the end I let my anxiety get the better of me and gave up with it all massively disappointed in myself.

So two years on I've been thinking about this and feel really bad about the fact I didn't pursue this till I got the money because what it means is that I spent my Christmas working for free for a company that didn't deserve it. Is there anyway I can get this money back now? Or have I left it too late and should I just leave this as lesson learned and move on? It was only a couple hundred of pounds because I was only part time for a month but to be honest that money would help out massively right now? What also complicates the matter is the store I worked for has closed now but the company that owed and ran it are still fine (wasn't a franchise either)- so would this effect anything?

Thank you for any help XxX
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Coconutter)
    Ok gonna try and keep this nice and short and not overcomplicate things because I tend to do that aha. Before I started uni I worked for a company (retail), I left this job when I moved to my University but was offered to come back during holidays when I was home. So the first Christmas back (Two years ago now) I went back and worked, then the next month when I was back at uni I noticed I didn't get paid for that work. I realised they hadn't kept my payment details on the system when I handed my resignation letter and started a new contract when I came back and being the super organised store that we were no one higher up had realised this whilst I was working and thought to get my details (admittedly them not keeping my details seems like an obvious thing now but at the time I was pretty naive to how things all worked). I made a few attempts to get in contact with them and sort it all out but the person I needed to talk to was never available and never called back and I had no clue who else would be able to sort it out for me. So in the end I let my anxiety get the better of me and gave up with it all massively disappointed in myself.

So two years on I've been thinking about this and feel really bad about the fact I didn't pursue this till I got the money because what it means is that I spent my Christmas working for free for a company that didn't deserve it. Is there anyway I can get this money back now? Or have I left it too late and should I just leave this as lesson learned and move on? It was only a couple hundred of pounds because I was only part time for a month but to be honest that money would help out massively right now? What also complicates the matter is the store I worked for has closed now but the company that owed and ran it are still fine (wasn't a franchise either)- so would this effect anything?

Thank you for any help XxX
    Im not sure if you can still get it back now, but if you go to your local citizens advice bureau or acas. Explain the situation and see what they say. They know what they are talking about so should be able to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Im not sure if you can still get it back now, but if you go to your local citizens advice bureau or acas. Explain the situation and see what they say. They know what they are talking about so should be able to help.
    Ahh awesome, thank you will contact them
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Do you have any wage slips, contract or timesheets relating to the time you worked with them? Is it the sama manager/ supervisor?
    It seems at the moment your efforts to recover the money have been a bit half hearted, so you have to push it to a point where you cna be satisfied they know exactly what it is you want and you give them an opportunity to pay. You need to work this amount out and be able to set it out.

To answer your questions.

1. yes you can recover the money.

2. You should try and do this by negotiation, which will mean writing a letter and sending it recorded delivery so you have proof it was sent and received.

3. You can get CAB to help you, but its a straightforward request of claiming what you know you are owed plus any supportin evidence. Send that to head office and wait.

4. If they dont respond to your satisfaction within 14 days, then write them another letter reminding them they havent dealt with your request and you have been advised to recover the money owed to you through the small claims procedure in the county court.

5. Sue them. Evidence and information are your friends in bein able to prove your claim.
    https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...before-action/

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.