Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Do any of you work in an office? And if so how do you make conversation?!

I'm always jealous of people that talk so freely to each other and I always try and overhear what got the conversation going and flowing so easily as the only conversation I have are usually just one or two lines between each other..

I want to conquer my social anxiety so any tips would be appreciated!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Lucarious30)
    Hey all,

Do any of you work in an office? And if so how do you make conversation?!

I'm always jealous of people that talk so freely to each other and I always try and overhear what got the conversation going and flowing so easily as the only conversation I have are usually just one or two lines between each other..

I want to conquer my social anxiety so any tips would be appreciated!
    Yes! I work in an office. I'm the IT guy so I'm pretty low in the 'feudal system'… even I make conversation! If you're in an office and not making conversation it can be pretty boring and the day will go soooooo slowly. When I first started I was very nervous but eventually I got the hang of it. You have to strike up conversation, jump into one… if they're talking about a programme they've watched on TV, give your opinion! Recommend something which you saw! The thing is, the people in your office are likely just as bored as you and the saviour of a remotely relatable conversation is a godsend. Just be yourself and get involved :yep: — take it slowly though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Yes! I work in an office. I'm the IT guy so I'm pretty low in the 'feudal system'… even I make conversation! If you're in an office and not making conversation it can be pretty boring and the day will go soooooo slowly. When I first started I was very nervous but eventually I got the hang of it. You have to strike up conversation, jump into one… if they're talking about a programme they've watched on TV, give your opinion! Recommend something which you saw! The thing is, the people in your office are likely just as bored as you and the saviour of a remotely relatable conversation is a godsend. Just be yourself and get involved :yep: — take it slowly though
    IT guy sounds like a bonus! Place practically falls apart without you aha!
    Thanks for your advice though!

ReputationRep:
    Have you just started work? How big is your team? First few days/weeks can be awkward as you find your way around and settle in. Main thing is try and be yourself and join in where ever you can.

Have you made any friends because that will help you part of the team as well . Do you have anything in common with anyone ? take one step at a time and see what works for you. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutie Karen)
    Have you just started work? How big is your team? First few days/weeks can be awkward as you find your way around and settle in. Main thing is try and be yourself and join in where ever you can.

Have you made any friends because that will help you part of the team as well . Do you have anything in common with anyone ? take one step at a time and see what works for you. Good luck.
    Been in the work place for two years almost - team of 6 but spread across the room!

I'd say I'm only close with one but they're leaving soon!

ReputationRep:
    Been in the work place for two years almost - team of 6 but spread across the room!

I'd say I'm only close with one but they're leaving soon!
    you can just start with 'hi, how are you, how was your weekend' type stuff and then when you know a little more you can try and follow up, think 'oh how did your daughter get on at her interview', 'been out walking the dog this weekend?' etc or say things about work 'how you getting on with X project', once you get started conversation will eventually flow a little easier and you'll find if you make the effort with other people they will make more effort with you and it won't always be up to you to think of things!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Try to me alittle more banterous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    you can just start with 'hi, how are you, how was your weekend' type stuff and then when you know a little more you can try and follow up, think 'oh how did your daughter get on at her interview', 'been out walking the dog this weekend?' etc or say things about work 'how you getting on with X project', once you get started conversation will eventually flow a little easier and you'll find if you make the effort with other people they will make more effort with you and it won't always be up to you to think of things!
    Do you ever pre-plan things to say?

Ect, if I'm walking home with someone I'll try and think of a few topics to say just incase things die down, but not sure if it's best to jump into those situations without anything planned/prepared?

ReputationRep:
    Do you ever pre-plan things to say?

Ect, if I'm walking home with someone I'll try and think of a few topics to say just incase things die down, but not sure if it's best to jump into those situations without anything planned/prepared?
    I have never sat at home thinking 'must ask Jane about her dog tomorrow, better plan my wording' but I think I'm not always socially able enough to spontaneously generate stuff so I do tend to think through what I say or have to stop for a moment to think of something and I don't think it's too weird to have thought of a few things to say on a walk home

just talk to them without thinking and if they judge you **** em lol

ReputationRep:
    you've worked with them for two years but don't talk to them? bruh

(Original post by Faye__1996)
    you've worked with them for two years but don't talk to them? bruh
    We talk but it's not lengthy conversations Just a few lines to make each other laugh here and there..Not really sure what can get a conversation going as we’ve somewhat gonethrough the ‘getting to know each other’ phase!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.