Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm posting for a friend in a really bad position. She is in her final year undergrad at the University of Edinburgh A&F course and managed an overall of an upper 2:1 (68) in her 3 years. However, she applied to many different MSc courses and all she managed were rejections.

UCL MSc Management
    Imperial A&F
    LSE A&F
    Bath A&F

She has applied to KCL, Edinburgh, Warwick all either A&F or management in the hopes of getting something. Any advise on the chances of her getting something? Also, which other schools should she apply to? It's really troubling her that she might not have any course to study next year.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think you have to study next year? Have you looked for jobs? What do you want to do career-wise? Have you asked for feedback on your rejections?

ReputationRep:
    I have to study as even though the UK doesn't really require a Masters for job applications, it'll be useful to have one for job applications back in my country.

I've applied for jobs and internships at the big 4 professional services firms as well as several other banks but I did not manage to get any offers from them either. So as the reapplication period for firms seem to be generally 6 months to a year, i think that it'll be best to go study a Masters then. I've gained feedback from job applications, but the general email which I receive from Masters applications (even after sending them an email and calling them up) would be that they cannot give feedback and it is because of tight competition that is why you failed at gaining an offer. Not very useful.

What are the chances of getting an offer if I still continue to apply now? I know that it's really late in the application stage and I'm afraid that I will not have a chance to study a Masters in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    No-one can tell you what your chances of getting an offer are. For whatever reason you've not been successful so far so something isn't working. By all means keep applying, and good luck with it, but you'd be irresponsible not to have a back-up plan in case it doesn't work out. Widen the range of firms you're applying to and consider getting a job back in your country. Lots of graduates struggle to get jobs in the UK so you'll need to be determined. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdasdqeqe)
    I have to study as even though the UK doesn't really require a Masters for job applications, it'll be useful to have one for job applications back in my country.

I've applied for jobs and internships at the big 4 professional services firms as well as several other banks but I did not manage to get any offers from them either. So as the reapplication period for firms seem to be generally 6 months to a year, i think that it'll be best to go study a Masters then. I've gained feedback from job applications, but the general email which I receive from Masters applications (even after sending them an email and calling them up) would be that they cannot give feedback and it is because of tight competition that is why you failed at gaining an offer. Not very useful.

What are the chances of getting an offer if I still continue to apply now? I know that it's really late in the application stage and I'm afraid that I will not have a chance to study a Masters in the UK.
    You have good chance of receiving offers now though there's probably serious problems with your statement/CV to get rejected by all your choices with those grades.

Doesn't hurt to take a year out before masters too, for me I had to accept a management role at the NHS to fund my masters for this year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.