Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It's the first day of my period today and I have for every side effect you could think of to the point it is making me vomit and the pain is unbearable. I've taken ibuprofen and had a warm bath then tried feminax but nothing is easing it at all. Anything else I can try???

ReputationRep:
    I experienced this for years. Make an appointment with your GP and discuss this, you will most likely be given tablets to control the pain, specifically ones linked to period pain.

ReputationRep:
    How about hot compress? Maybe it can help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's the first day of my period today and I have for every side effect you could think of to the point it is making me vomit and the pain is unbearable. I've taken ibuprofen and had a warm bath then tried feminax but nothing is easing it at all. Anything else I can try???
    (Original post by KiwiDream)
    I experienced this for years. Make an appointment with your GP and discuss this, you will most likely be given tablets to control the pain, specifically ones linked to period pain.
    Yes i used to suffer terribly with back ache and stomach ache so the doctor prescribed mefaenemic (don't know if its spelt like that) acid which helped me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chikane)
    Yes i used to suffer terribly with back ache and stomach ache so the doctor prescribed mefaenemic (don't know if its spelt like that) acid which helped me.
    I was prescribed the same! It worked wonders for the most part

ReputationRep:
    You can take codeine, paracetamol and ibuprofen in conjunction with each other. My over the counter remedy which I use every month is:

2 x nurofen plus (highest strength codeine available over the counter & ibuprofen).
    2 x 500mg paracetamol.

Follow the instructions on packet for how long to leave between doses.

I also find that if I take tablets before cramp kicks in I can control the pain with less tablets. I'm lucky in that sense as I start to show before cramp Starts.

ReputationRep:
    I was prescribed the same! It worked wonders for the most part
    I was prescribed that when i was 19 but after 2 years on it i kept vomiting so came off it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't take ibuprofen if you are vomiting, as it irritates the stomach. Take paracetamol though.

Sounds like you need to go to the doctors, i used to have terrible backache and i went on the pill and the pain is nowhere near as bad anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chikane)
    I was prescribed that when i was 19 but after 2 years on it i kept vomiting so came off it.
    Oh that's not good! Were you given any other tablets? It's stopped controlling my pain now so I have to go back and see my GP

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's not good! Were you given any other tablets? It's stopped controlling my pain now so I have to go back and see my GP
    My periods were also heavy so I was on the tranaxemic acid which really helped with that but then I changed to microgynon and was on that for 2 years and I didn't felt it helped much and I had massive mood swings. Then I went on cerazette for 6 months which caused me to bleed every day. So last month stopped pills and my mood felt so much better and I gained weight from the pills.
    So now I gone back to tranaxemic acid as my main problem was heaviness and I just take neurofen for the pain.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.