Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone recommend any good scientific books, that are not that well known?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skylightflower)
    Not sure if it's well known but what about:
    Murderous contagion: a human history of disease by Mary Dobson

The geckos foot

The emperor of all maladies (I think this ones well known)

Cancer ward by alex

Memoir by John megahern

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Bloom77;62976061]Not sure if it's well known but what about:
    Murderous contagion: a human history of disease by Mary Dobson

The geckos foot

The emperor of all maladies (I think this ones well known)

Cancer ward by alex

Memoir by John megahern

thanks for your help! I'll check them out
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Down the rabbit hole
    Survival of the sickest (more well known)
    Any of the 'short introduction' books (i e the brain, hormones, medical ethics)
    I also like medical books about how the body copes in extreme environments. I read one about high altitude sickness and frostbite in the Everest expeditions for example.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Do No Harm - Henry Marsh
    anything by Atul Gawande (Complications was my favourite).
    Blood and Guts, a short history of medicine.
    House of God

ReputationRep:
    Do No Harm by Henry Marsh
    Checklist Manifesto, by Atul Gawande

Both have really important messages which stood out for me

Would probably also add Bad Pharma/Science by Ben Goldacre, as goes into some of the big problems in medicine and psychology/behavioral science more generally.

ReputationRep:
    The Sick Rose, Crucial Interventions and Medical London: Sick City/City of Cures all by Richard Barnett. Brilliant overviews of the history of medicine and medical illustration. They are all beautiful, interesting books.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by skylightflower)
    Hi there,

We would definitely suggest Richard Lehman's Weekly Review. He writes about the latest medical journals in a very insightful and funny way, whilst also being highly scientific - what more could anyone want?! Plus it's free!

Whilst we know that this isn't a book - it's definitely worth a read.

We've also got plenty free blogs on our website which you could read if applicable to you . They cover insights into med school interviews, as well as tips for students who are already at Med school, or who have received offers.

We hope this helps,

The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Medic Portal)
    Hi there,

We would definitely suggest Richard Lehman's Weekly Review. He writes about the latest medical journals in a very insightful and funny way, whilst also being highly scientific - what more could anyone want?! Plus it's free!

Whilst we know that this isn't a book - it's definitely worth a read.

We've also got plenty free blogs on our website which you could read if applicable to you . They cover insights into med school interviews, as well as tips for students who are already at Med school, or who have received offers.

We hope this helps,

The Medic Portal
    Thanks !

Posted from TSR Mobile
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Lilly1234567890)
    Thanks !

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Nessa Carey - The Epigenetics Revolution: How Modern Biology is Rewriting Our Understanding of Genetics, Disease and Inheritance

ReputationRep:
    Why We Get Sick by Randolph Nesse takes a very interesting Darwinian look at illness and medicine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.