Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Query about transformations of second order differential equations (FP2) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I'm finding Chapter 5 of FP2 pretty nice. We just finished it in class today but there is one thing bugging me: the fact that I don't think I was taught the basics of differentiation fully.

Take this example:

When differentiating e^u dy/dx with respect to u in the first line, I understand we use the product rule to get the first term in the second line. But then how do we obtain d2y/dx2 * dx/du by differentiating dy/dx with respect to u?

Similarly,

I understand the use of the product rule here again to get dy/dz(-sinx) as the second term in the second line.

But how does the first term of the second line come in? I'm just quite confused on what's being differentiated with respect to what.

I would very much appreciate an explanation of these two differentials. Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Hello

I'm finding Chapter 5 of FP2 pretty nice. We just finished it in class today but there is one thing bugging me: the fact that I don't think I was taught the basics of differentiation fully.

Take this example:

When differentiating e^u dy/dx with respect to u in the first line, I understand we use the product rule to get the first term in the second line. But then how do we obtain d2y/dx2 * dx/du by differentiating dy/dx with respect to u?

Similarly,

I understand the use of the product rule here again to get dy/dz(-sinx) as the second term in the second line.

But how does the first term of the second line come in? I'm just quite confused on what's being differentiated with respect to what.

I would very much appreciate an explanation of these two differentials. Thanks a lot

First one: Chain rule. When differentiating dy/dx wrt u, by the chain rule this is equivalent to differentiating wrt x and then multiplying by dx/du

Second one: I'm not completely sure what all your variables are. Does dz/dz = cos x presumably?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 16Characters....)
    First one: Chain rule. When differentiating dy/dx wrt u, by the chain rule this is equivalent to differentiating wrt x and then multiplying by dx/du

Second one: I'm not completely sure what all your variables are. Does dz/dz = cos x presumably?
    Thanks for the help on the first one

Sorry I should have said:

z = sinx

so dz/dx = cosx

Or dy/dx = cosx * dy/dz

ReputationRep:
    standard chain rule

d/dx(dy/dt) = d2y/dt2 . dt/dx

d/dx(dv/dw) = d2v/dw2 . dw/dx

d/dv(dy/dx) = d2y/dx2 . dx/dv

ReputationRep:

z = sinx

so dz/dx = cosx

Or dy/dx = cosx * dy/dz
    No problem. The principle is the same for the second one then. Using what we just discussed, how do you differentiate \frac{dy}{dz} wrt x?

ReputationRep:
    No problem. The principle is the same for the second one then. Using what we just discussed, how do you differentiate \frac{dy}{dz} wrt x?
    Would that then be d2y/dz2 * dz/dx?

(Original post by TeeEm)
    standard chain rule

d/dx(dy/dt) = d2y/dt2 . dt/dx

d/dx(dv/dw) = d2v/dw2 . dw/dx

d/dv(dy/dx) = d2y/dx2 . dx/dv
    Thanks sir - those different examples clear it up very nicely

ReputationRep:

Thanks sir - those different examples clear it up very nicely
    if not ...
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3875341

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

I'd much prefer madasmaths to mad maths

ReputationRep:

z = sinx

so dz/dx = cosx

Or dy/dx = cosx * dy/dz
    \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \cos x \frac{dy}{dz}

Differentiate both sides w.r.t x

\displaystyle \frac{d^2y}{dx^2} = \cos x \times \frac{d}{dx} \left(\frac{dy}{dz}\right) + \frac{d}{dx}(\cos x) \times \frac{dy}{dz}

But \displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \frac{dy}{dz} = \left(\frac{d}{dz} \frac{dy}{dz}\right) \times ?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, and you know that dz/dx = cos x.

Also, damn, got ninjad like 5 times over. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \cos x \frac{dy}{dz}

Differentiate both sides w.r.t x

\displaystyle \frac{d^2y}{dx^2} = \cos x \times \frac{d}{dx} \left(\frac{dy}{dz}\right) + \frac{d}{dx}(\cos x) \times \frac{dy}{dz}

But \displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \frac{dy}{dz} = \left(\frac{d}{dz} \frac{dy}{dz}\right) \times ?
    Yep, and you know that dz/dx = cos x.

Also, damn, got ninjad like 5 times over. :rofl:
    Nah I find your LaTeX very clear and helpful I think I finally get it!

I reckon one of the main reasons I had this problem was because I wasn't taught exactly what the difference between things like "d/dx" and "dy/dx" were until very recently, so it hasn't fully fit itself in to my understanding of basic calculus

Thank you all so much for the help

ReputationRep:
    Correct, so when this is subbed into your product rule you will get what you want.

Edit: Whoops very slow

ReputationRep:
    Correct, so when this is subbed into your product rule you will get what you want.

Edit: Whoops very slow
    Much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Nah I find your LaTeX very clear and helpful I think I finally get it!

I reckon one of the main reasons I had this problem was because I wasn't taught exactly what the difference between things like "d/dx" and "dy/dx" were until very recently, so it hasn't fully fit itself in to my understanding of basic calculus
    Confession time: I've only learnt this myself very recently, like a few weeks ago. I'm not sure how I got by without knowing it before that :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Confession time: I've only learnt this myself very recently, like a few weeks ago. I'm not sure how I got by without knowing it before that :lol:
    It's a real shame, isn't it? differentiation was a topic in GCSE maths fgs >.> Least they could have done was bring up the basic principles in this much detail in C1/C2

ReputationRep:
    You can think of it as  \displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}(\frac{dy}{dz})= \frac{dz}{dx}  \frac{d}{dz}(\frac{dy}{dz})

which I think should make it easier to see what's going on.
    It's almost as if the dx's cancel out leaving the differentiating the function with respect to z and multiplying through by dz/dx.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    You can think of it as  \displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}(\frac{dy}{dz})= \frac{dz}{dx}  \frac{d}{dz}(\frac{dy}{dz})

which I think should make it easier to see what's going on.
    It's almost as if the dx's cancel out leaving the differentiating the function with respect to z and multiplying through by dz/dx.
    Not just almost but exactly. dy/dz and dz/dx are quotients of infinitesimals, and by the Transfer Principle, they obey all the same rules as real numbers, so can be cancelled as normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constellarknight)
    Not just almost but exactly. dy/dz and dz/dx are quotients of infinitesimals, and by the Transfer Principle, they obey all the same rules as real numbers, so can be cancelled as normal.
    That's not how we think of dy/dx and dx/dx anymore. Thinking of them as quotients of infinitesimals is old-school.

ReputationRep:
    That's not how we think of dy/dx and dx/dx anymore. Thinking of them as quotients of infinitesimals is old-school.
    Non-standard analysis was invented in the 1960s - not that long ago!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.