Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I went out last night and my friends tried to set me up with a guy who is in his late 30s and still lives with his parents. I live with my parents but said I don't want a guy who lives with his parents as there would be no privacy. My 'friend' then kept saying "you have no right to comment'. I was infuriated as if I want to date someone who has their own place then I have the right to that opinion.

Then later I said I did not want to date a guy from the walking group we used to go to as they are a bit weird at the group. Now everyone thinks the people were weird in the group. This 'friend' again started saying "people might think we are weird", which I said "we are not though" then she got all defensive again. I don't know why she was acting all opinionated again. I don't tell her that her opinions are wrong or comment on aspects of her life. Live and let live.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like the only person actually being judgemental was you. Don't get mad at your friend for calling you out.

Its fair enough if you dont want to date someone who hasn't got their own place or someone in your walking group, your dating preferences are perfectly valid. But it's hypocritical to call your friend was 'judgemental' when she was the one calling you out for judging other people.

ReputationRep:
    It's up to you who you want to date and your friend shouldn't be trying to make you date someone you don't want to date for any reason, although I think you need to perhaps look at it from your friend's point of view, they probably thought that you would be well suited as your siuatuons are similar and you need to ask yourself how you would feel if someone were to reject you for the same reason.

ReputationRep:
    I kind of get you on the whole privacy thing to be fair.
    At the end of the day you like what you like..you have certain 'things' you look for in someone (just like anyone else) there's no right or wrong to that...in my opinion.

If you don't want to date him, that's fine. You shouldn't feel pressured.
    Same if you think the others are 'weird' then, again.. you shouldn't have to date them if you get a weird vibe off them.

for example if someone refuses to date someone who has a 'b' in their name (or something random) then that's up to them really and it's their loss if they miss out..but then how would they know because they'd never date the person..if you know what I mean

It's up to you really

I realised that last month that a mutual friend has not helped the situation. The mutual friend said he front of her that her fiance was after me before they started dating, he fiance denied it even though it was true and I said I don't know what he was on about. Ever since she keeps trying to set me up with all these single guys which she never did this before and was not bothered. I feel as though she feels threatened.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.