Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dealing with blood disorder and applying to university Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSR,

Last year I relapsed in a blood disorder known as Aplastic Anaemia (where the immune system attacks the stem cells in the bone marrow, making it unable to produce blood cells) and am currently recieving treatment.
    Since the start of Febuary I've been unable to attend college and so I am missing work.
    I have also learnt that I will be unfit to go to university this year and am in the process of defering my entry to 2017. However I know that I must meet the conditions for my universities by August of this year.

My problem is, Aplastic Anaemia is a bit of a rollercoaster and i dont know if I will be able to achieve the grades I need because the disorder could develop into MDS or Leukaemia. I am able to apply for enhanced grading and special consideration but I dont know if it will be enough to get the grades I need (BCC)

That being said, if in the chance that I dont get the grades, what could I do? Could I retake using the old specification of A levels or would I have to
    start over?

Everythings quite stressful at the moment and most of the young people I know with aplastic anaemia live in the United States so some help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Okami1997
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Have you spoke to uni and the people who deal with uni admission stuff at your college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Have you spoke to uni and the people who deal with uni admission stuff at your college?
    I have not really been in college because of this but I am going in today so I will talk to my tutor about it. My college have been a bit slow with responding to any emails Ive been sending lol

One university has offered as much help as they can but have told me that they might not be able to do much because of how fixed the UCAS process is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okami1997)
    Hi TSR,

Last year I relapsed in a blood disorder known as Aplastic Anaemia (where the immune system attacks the stem cells in the bone marrow, making it unable to produce blood cells) and am currently recieving treatment.
    Since the start of Febuary I've been unable to attend college and so I am missing work.
    I have also learnt that I will be unfit to go to university this year and am in the process of defering my entry to 2017. However I know that I must meet the conditions for my universities by August of this year.

My problem is, Aplastic Anaemia is a bit of a rollercoaster and i dont know if I will be able to achieve the grades I need because the disorder could develop into MDS or Leukaemia. I am able to apply for enhanced grading and special consideration but I dont know if it will be enough to get the grades I need (BCC)

That being said, if in the chance that I dont get the grades, what could I do? Could I retake using the old specification of A levels or would I have to
    start over?

Everythings quite stressful at the moment and most of the young people I know with aplastic anaemia live in the United States so some help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Okami1997
    Can't help you with the aplastic anaemia, but I wish you well in your recovery.

The proposal from Ofqal is that as long as you take the old specification exams this year or that you were planning to take them but could not do so due to illness you will be allowed to retake them next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Having a blood disorder shouldn't lower your chances of getting good grades. You just have to believe in yourself. I understand that it may turn into another blood disease. There are different types of leukaemias so do not worry that much about it. God forbid but if you were to have leukaemia you'll be treated effectively depending on how severe it is. It will not stop you from achieving your full potential!
    When applying for universities you should mention this and I'm sure this could come under extenuating circumstances.

Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I suppose a bit of an update on this! I managed to complete my exams yay! The hospital was very helpful and organised tutoring and special consideration for me! My college was not so helpful as they kept forgetting to send me work ;;;

On the health side of things, my treatment is working well and hopefully I'll stay stable into the sixth month mark. I also think the doctors are considering a bone marrow transplant at some point, which is pretty good. Everything's been very tiring though, hoping to be a bit more active with walking to help me lose a bit of weight I've gained lol
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Congratulations!

You may, depending on your situation, (ie, if your blood disorder affects your ability to study) be entitled to disabled students allowance. (DSA)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Congratulations!

You may, depending on your situation, (ie, if your blood disorder affects your ability to study) be entitled to disabled students allowance. (DSA)
    Yeah, one of my uns (University of Central Lancashire) suggested this I'm never sure if I qualify as disabled because some people say I do and some say I dont haha
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Okami1997)
    Yeah, one of my uns (University of Central Lancashire) suggested this I'm never sure if I qualify as disabled because some people say I do and some say I dont haha
    Just try. You won't qualify if you had a broken arm, for example because that doesn't mean the definition of disability, which is a long term problem which affects your ability to do day to day things. You can only apply for things that affect you as a disabled student. So, DSA wouldn't pay for things like hospital appointments or prescription costs - because you'll have those whether you were a student or not. But if your disability means you can't take notes or you need extra time in exams, they'll give you those things.

ReputationRep:
    So, another update,
    Results day was not as good as I had hoped, I got CCU and did not get into any of my university choices
    I decided i didnt really want to try Clearing because i dont think they would defer my place
    I might try reapplying or i might try an apprenticeship, im not sure yet
    Im... Disraught i guess? I put in so much hard work into Physics and to see Us in all of my exams+coursework was pretty disheartening
    On top of that i've not been as well lately and i've been getting more and more dizzy and disorientated (whether thats related to my blood disorder idk)
    So yeah guess ive got some time to figure something out
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Sorry to hear that

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.