Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    I am a mature student aged 41 who has been living independently from their father for 6 years. I have applied to study a full time degree in the city in which I currently live, I have a support network here as I also I have mental health issues.

    The university I have applied to has said that I am only entitled to the maintaintence loan that applies to students living at home, which is just £6000 per year, is this the correct information? If so then I can't afford to study as my rent is £5400 per year alone.

    Also I have been told that even though I am claiming ESA at present and have been for 29 weeks because I am yet to have an assessment to see what group I would be placed in, if any, then I would not qualify for additional loan payment that covers people who had been on a qualifying benefit. I was told an assessment would not be conducted before October at the earliest due to the backlog in my area.

    Can anyone advise as to whether what I have been told is correct or not?

    • Thread Starter

    Can anyone at all help?
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative
    Hi vsl_2603

    As you are over 25, you would be automatically assessed as an independent student. You can also apply for DSA help if you have any additional needs.
    Please see the Student Finance calculator which will ask you a few questions and give you an idea of what funding may be available to you: http://bit.ly/1eWRiXJ

The home of Results and Clearing


people online now


students helped last year

University open days

  1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.