Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been practicing mostly the calculations and the theory needed for it, and I know how to approach those sort of questions but when it comes to "Which indicator to use" or "Give the colour change at the end point of a titration when So and So is used as an indicator"

Can anyone point in to the right way of approaching this sort of question. I usually take a shot in the dark which that part of the question comes up.

ReputationRep:
    You mean when they give you a list of indicators to choosr for a curve?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Fruitbasket786)
    I've been practicing mostly the calculations and the theory needed for it, and I know how to approach those sort of questions but when it comes to "Which indicator to use" or "Give the colour change at the end point of a titration when So and So is used as an indicator"

Can anyone point in to the right way of approaching this sort of question. I usually take a shot in the dark which that part of the question comes up.
    Indicator theory tells you that ka = [H+][In-]/[HIn]

So the midpoint of this indicator in a titration is when [In-]=[HIn]

... and therefore ka = [H+]

... and so pH = pKa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Indicator theory tells you that ka = [H+][In-]/[HIn]

So the midpoint of this indicator in a titration is when [In-]=[HIn]

... and therefore ka = [H+]

... and so pH = pKa
    I'm not sure what [ln-] is. Is it just the concentration of base

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manexopi)
    You mean when they give you a list of indicators to choosr for a curve?
    Yeah, those sort of questions I take a guess at since there usually at the last part.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, those sort of questions I take a guess at since there usually at the last part.
    Oh right. What you do is look at the end point for each indicator and compare it to the equivalence point/end point on the titration curve you are being asked for (the part of the curve that is vertical) If the two ranges are similar/same, then that is the idicator you use.

I'm not sure if I explained it well enough.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    I'm not sure what [ln-] is. Is it just the concentration of base
    Indicators are weak acids whose molecular form (HIn) and conjugate base form (In-) have different colours

They establish an equilibrium like all weak acids:

HIn <==> H+ + In-

The position of equilibrium depends on the pH of the solution.

When the concentration of hydrogen ions equals the concentration of the conjugate base both colours are seen- it is the mid-point.

At this point pH = pKa (of the indicator)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.