Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BREXIT / Referendum - Fees for EU students??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What will happen in case the UK leaves EU? Will EU students still be eligible for financial help with the tuition fees? Will they be more expensive? I'm really scared because I already have offers and I don't know how is this all going to turn out :-( How's the situation atm? Thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    It'll take at least 2 years for the UK to leave the EU as that's part of the EU treaty for withdrawing nations.

It may be a few years until we activate it even if the vote is to leave, as we negotiate new trade agreements etc

Also, as long as you've started your degree by the time we leave, you'll almost certainly be alright.

Keep calm and carry on. Enjoy uni in the uk!

SS

ReputationRep:
    EU students run with their degrees after graduation and dont bother to pay fees or what they owe. EU students are thieves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EccentricDiamond)
    EU students run with their degrees after graduation and dont bother to pay fees or what they owe. EU students are thieves
    I'll have you know that I'm very grateful for allowing HM's Government for allowing me to study in the UK without paying tuition outright and that I intend to pay it back in accordance with the rules put forth.

It all comes down to responsibility. That isn't contingent on someone's nationality.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    There should be fees for EU students because in Scotland EU students study for free but students from England, Wales, and Northern Ireland need to pay £9000 per year or the reduced amount Welsh students pay. In Wales EU students pay the same amount as Welsh students, but English, Northern Irish, and Scottish students pay £9000. Britain is in a disastrous situation when British students are being actively discriminated against when it comes to universities by being charged more to attend the same university than EU students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Withengar)
    I'll have you know that I'm very grateful for allowing HM's Government for allowing me to study in the UK without paying tuition outright and that I intend to pay it back in accordance with the rules put forth.

It all comes down to responsibility. That isn't contingent on someone's nationality.
    I'll believe it when i see it. As far as i am concerned EU students have stolen far too much from taxpayers like me,
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    all the students who have gone to study medicine in Europe must be crapping their pants LOL

#voteleave

ReputationRep:
    How about we wait for the outcome before worrying? We only have so much hair on our head(s).
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    There are likely more UK students moving abroad to dodge fees than there are EU students doing the same. But the number of students in either group is incredibly small either way, the vast majority of both UK and EU students do pay up.

(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    There should be fees for EU students because in Scotland EU students study for free but students from England, Wales, and Northern Ireland need to pay £9000 per year or the reduced amount Welsh students pay. In Wales EU students pay the same amount as Welsh students, but English, Northern Irish, and Scottish students pay £9000. Britain is in a disastrous situation when British students are being actively discriminated against when it comes to universities by being charged more to attend the same university than EU students.
    EU students are charged the same fees as UK students (namely £9k/year) to attend university in England. So there is no discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    Not the question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlandas)
    What will happen in case the UK leaves EU? Will EU students still be eligible for financial help with the tuition fees? Will they be more expensive? I'm really scared because I already have offers and I don't know how is this all going to turn out :-( How's the situation atm? Thanks xx
    Hopefully you will be charged international rates so 21k a year. It's fairer

ReputationRep:
    Whoa. What the hap is ****ening. I read this without looking at the name or profile picture, and thought ''Wow, TSR really is a forum full of right-wing nutcases spouting undifferentiated polemic 'opinions' ''. (I'm new on here, to explain my surprise at this)

And then I look again and it's Mr Farage! gloriously missing the point of why English students have to pay fees in Scotland and calling it 'active discrimination'. I shake my head in disbelief that people like him are considered serious politicians in the UK.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Dez)
    EU students are charged the same fees as UK students (namely £9k/year) to attend university in England. So there is no discrimination.
    The point is this, if English students move to Scotland for university, the English students are charged £9000, but if EU students went to Scotland for university the EU students are charged at the same rate as Scottish students. The applies to Wales, if English students study in Wales the English students are charged £9000, but EU students studying in Wales are charged the same as Welsh students. For English students who want to study in the UK but outside England, English students are discriminated against which is wrong.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by nigel farage mep)
    the point is this, if english students move to scotland for university, the english students are charged £9000, but if eu students went to scotland for university the eu students are charged at the same rate as scottish students. The applies to wales, if english students study in wales the english students are charged £9000, but eu students studying in wales are charged the same as welsh students. For english students who want to study in the uk but outside england, english students are discriminated against which is wrong.
    nigel for prime minister!

ReputationRep:
    The point is this, if English students move to Scotland for university, the English students are charged £9000, but if EU students went to Scotland for university the EU students are charged at the same rate as Scottish students. The applies to Wales, if English students study in Wales the English students are charged £9000, but EU students studying in Wales are charged the same as Welsh students. For English students who want to study in the UK but outside England, English students are discriminated against which is wrong.
    But that isn't the students' fault, as you may imagine, nor is it in any way related to what I asked. I was simply asking a question, I don't care about what sort of problems you have with your own government's policies. It's a pity English students have to pay more than I do to study in Scotland, it really is - but cutting my financial aid / increasing my fees won't change any of it. Instead, you could maybe focus on finding a way to change the situation for English students who want to study abroad - not harm and invalidate the effort of students that come from poorer countries (like mine) but who worked like hell to get to a UK university.

Thanks to everyone who tried to be helpful and kind answering this thread! I can't wait to meet you all next year, during my degree! (Who knows, maybe I'll even corrupt your morals with my left-wing ideals and steal your jobs while I'm at it!) xx
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    That's nothing to do with us being in the EU though, it's just Scotland's stupid rules about tuition fees. If we left the EU tomorrow English students would still be charged £9k per year to attend a Scottish uni.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Dez)
    That's nothing to do with us being in the EU though, it's just Scotland's stupid rules about tuition fees. If we left the EU tomorrow English students would still be charged £9k per year to attend a Scottish uni.
    It is EU rules that EU students need to be charged the same as Scottish students, the complaint is not English students being charged £9000, but EU students being charged the same rate as the students of the country EU students choose to study in. It is more EU rules that prevents English students from be classified as EU students when choosing to study in Scotland, leading to English students being charged the English rates, not the Scottish rates.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    It is EU rules that EU students need to be charged the same as Scottish students, the complaint is not English students being charged £9000, but EU students being charged the same rate as the students of the country EU students choose to study in. It is more EU rules that prevents English students from be classified as EU students when choosing to study in Scotland, leading to English students being charged the English rates, not the Scottish rates.
    EU law says that a student from an EU country has to be given the same deal as a Home student would be. I get that. But I was under the impression that the situation we have of English students being charged £9k to study in Scotland was a result of the SNP/Scottish parliament legislation, not the EU. Since the EU law only applies to non-Home students, Scotland can (and does) discriminate amongst Home students, just not EU ones.

So it's the SNP that's responsible for the current discrimination, not the EU. Are you saying that's untrue? If so, source please.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Dez)
    EU law says that a student from an EU country has to be given the same deal as a Home student would be. I get that. But I was under the impression that the situation we have of English students being charged £9k to study in Scotland was a result of the SNP/Scottish parliament legislation, not the EU. Since the EU law only applies to non-Home students, Scotland can (and does) discriminate amongst Home students, just not EU ones.

So it's the SNP that's responsible for the current discrimination, not the EU. Are you saying that's untrue? If so, source please.
    You have made the point I was making, EU law only applies to non-home students when it should apply to home students to make things fair. I do not support an EU law to prevent EU students being charged more than home students when at the same university, when it is likely more expensive to educate non home-students when the costs of sending paperwork abroad, language classes, and events are held for non-home students are counted; and there is an economic argument against the law involving a larger surplus of applicants.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Nope. The main problem with non-payers are UK students not EU. £89 million is in arrears from EU students, versus £367 million from UK students.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.