Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I've been unsure about what university course I want to do, and was thinking about psychology or English for a while. I then discovered law and I'm now confident that it's the path I want to take.

I was thinking about Cambridge, and I'm sure I could get the entry requirements (A*AA), but I think my GCSEs may have messed it up for me. They're by no means bad, I'm proud of my GCSEs, I just know that Cambridge holds a high standard for them, and honestly, I don't think I've met them. (I've listed my grades below)

I'd be really grateful for any current students (particularly law students) to give me some advice.

Thanks
    Spoiler:
    Show
    English Language - A
    English Literature - A*
    Maths (Higher) - B
    Biology - B
    Chemistry - B
    Physics - B
    History - A
    French - A
    Business - A
    Sociology - A
    Graphic Design - B

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge previously didn't place much emphasis on GCSEs (although that might change somewhat now fewer people do AS's). You are unlikely to be rejected just based on your GCSE's - your B's are all in irrelevant subjects. That said, your GCSE's will be a fair bit lower than average, and it's worth noting that although the standard offer is A*AA, successful applicants for arts subjects average A*A*A. But if you choose good subjects at A-level, and do well in your AS's (if relevant) there's no harm in applying.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by lucyparkhouse)
    Hi there,

I've been unsure about what university course I want to do, and was thinking about psychology or English for a while. I then discovered law and I'm now confident that it's the path I want to take.

I was thinking about Cambridge, and I'm sure I could get the entry requirements (A*AA), but I think my GCSEs may have messed it up for me. They're by no means bad, I'm proud of my GCSEs, I just know that Cambridge holds a high standard for them, and honestly, I don't think I've met them. (I've listed my grades below)

I'd be really grateful for any current students (particularly law students) to give me some advice.

Thanks
    Spoiler:
    Show
    English Language - A
    English Literature - A*
    Maths (Higher) - B
    Biology - B
    Chemistry - B
    Physics - B
    History - A
    French - A
    Business - A
    Sociology - A
    Graphic Design - B
    Cambridge is actually a bit fussier about GCSEs for Law than most other subjects. And some colleges are particularly fussy, notably Churchill requires at least 5 A* at GCSE and preferably more. (https://www.chu.cam.ac.uk/study-us/u.../subjects/law/)

It might be worth asking one of the admissions tutors when they re-open one of their threads. Or ask Peterhouse in that college's thread.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=171927

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.