Turn on thread page Beta

lesbian sex - do I need to use protection? watch

NSFW

okay so I didn't really know where else to ask this so I'm sorry if it's tmi.

basically, I'm 16 and my girlfriend is 17. we first had sex about a month ago and this was the first time for us both.
    we've done it a lot of times since then but we've never used protection... mainly because idk if we need to and if we do then what kind?? I've looked it up on the internet tons of times but I can't find one solid answer.

neither of us have ever had sex with anyone else so I don't think we could have stis ?? or is there anything that like... you can catch not through sex but you can transmit through sex? like I know HIV can be caught in many ways and can be transmitted through sex even if you didn't get it through sex.... you know?
    what should we do... are we being unsafe or are we okay? what stis or issues if any are we at risk of?
    thanks and sorry for the tmi 😭

ReputationRep:
    If you were both virgins then neither of you will have an sti, unless one of you has it from birth. And obviously ... you cannot get pregnant... so you shouldn't need to use protection.

ReputationRep:
    Enjoy. Free from STI or pregnancy risk.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As has been said, STIs are not magically created by sex - one of you has to have whatever before they can pass it on to the other one.

There are some things 'you can catch not through sex but you can transmit through sex' - fungal infections like thrush, for example. They tend to be noticeable (they affect the smell and taste) and also easily treatable.

Unless you start sharing needles, even if one of you had HIV, you're not going to catch it via sex with each other.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously you two are not a high risk, for the reasons that have already been explain. But there are still health risks between women and you can get protection

This is a good, reliable and generally accurate site where you can learn more.
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/LGBhealth...ianhealth.aspx

It always annoyed me that school sex ed. never covered sex between two women, because teaching me how to put a condom on a guy doesn't really help! Just one lesson would have been nice!

ReputationRep:
    no you can't if you both don't have stis it would be impossible. Maybe you could theoretically get herpes if she had a cold sore on her mouth. Also if you both don't have HIV then no you cant get it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 28, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.