Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why do people who are claiming benefits need dogs, cats, cars? Im not speaking in a way to offend, however i have always been under the assumption that people on benefit are "struggling to survive" therefore the money they get is for themselves, not to be having 2 dogs and a cat. In addition things such as cars, alcohol, cigarettes how can people on benefits be smoking/drinking, driving in cars and then complain they are not getting enough. Why would you breed a pet when you are struggling to survive is the stupidest thing, you are wasting your money on an animals food etc.

There was a programme and a young girl summed up people perfectly she was on benefits herself and she said "I dont see how people complain about not having enough money, i have more than enough to feed myself and family and put clothes on my daughter" So the problem is really that some people are getting TOO much and basically wasting it. If you are being paid on benefits that money is to help you survive not to spend on things such as alcohol and drugs etc (no not everyone on benefits does this but it seems a large majority do, if you dis-agree walk through a council estate, documentaries etc).

Before anyone says why dont they deserve cars, why on earth should someone LIVING on someone elses money even use that money to buy a car, there are plenty of people who work 9-5 and cant afford them and have to use the bus what makes benefit receivers different?

Oh and if you are about to use the "i need a car to get to work" im pretty sure that a bus goes to every place/use a train or walk. There are plenty of people who are working and use the bus so the "i need a car" ******** is not a excuse.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, who needs a car when public transport is so fantastic...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRFT8)
    Why do people who are claiming benefits need dogs, cats, cars? Im not speaking in a way to offend, however i have always been under the assumption that people on benefit are "struggling to survive" therefore the money they get is for themselves, not to be having 2 dogs and a cat. In addition things such as cars, alcohol, cigarettes how can people on benefits be smoking/drinking, driving in cars and then complain they are not getting enough. Why would you breed a pet when you are struggling to survive is the stupidest thing, you are wasting your money on an animals food etc.

There was a programme and a young girl summed up people perfectly she was on benefits herself and she said "I dont see how people complain about not having enough money, i have more than enough to feed myself and family and put clothes on my daughter" So the problem is really that some people are getting TOO much and basically wasting it. If you are being paid on benefits that money is to help you survive not to spend on things such as alcohol and drugs etc (no not everyone on benefits does this but it seems a large majority do, if you dis-agree walk through a council estate, documentaries etc).

Before anyone says why dont they deserve cars, why on earth should someone LIVING on someone elses money even use that money to buy a car, there are plenty of people who work 9-5 and cant afford them and have to use the bus what makes benefit receivers different?

Oh and if you are about to use the "i need a car to get to work" im pretty sure that a bus goes to every place/use a train or walk. There are plenty of people who are working and use the bus so the "i need a car" ******** is not a excuse.
    Most people on benefits who I know don't actually have a car. If they do have a car they often bought it when they were working. It's handy to have a car if you're looking for work, anyway. Employers like to know you have reliable transport and buses aren't that reliable, especially if you have to travel quite a way to work (even if buses show up they don't always show up early enough for you to get to work on time). If you're on JSA and reliant on public transport employers sometimes look at you like...what?

And you're still human even if you're out of work. You still deserve some tiny luxuries, whether that's keeping a pet (which, again, you might have bought when you were in work) or something else. The mental health of the poorest people in society is already at crisis point, would you like us to live in even more dire circumstances and end up killing ourselves off to save the government some money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mscaffrey)
    It's handy to have a car if you're looking for work, anyway. Employers like to know you have reliable transport and buses aren't that reliable, especially if you have to travel quite a way to work (even if buses show up they don't always show up early enough for you to get to work on time). If you're on JSA and reliant on public transport employers sometimes look at you like...what?

And you're still human even if you're out of work. You still deserve some tiny luxuries, whether that's keeping a pet (which, again, you might have bought when you were in work) or something else. The mental health of the poorest people in society is already at crisis point, would you like us to live in even more dire circumstances and end up killing ourselves off to save the government some money?
    Ok firstly i am referring to people using the benefit money to buy them lets get that clear, and your other point is pathetic, there are plenty of people working and using the bus as transport, trains, walking?

Secondly i not denying humanity, dont turn this into some sob story i never said they weren't human, and yeah buy all the luxuries heck even buy Louis Vuitton if you want but then dont sit and cry about how you arent getting enough benefits, the money is to help you survive for necessities for food, clothes etc..

ReputationRep:
    the money is to help you survive for necessities for food, clothes etc..
    Unfortunately it is not. The money is given unmonitored and with acknowledgement that the claimant is free to spend it however they wish.

There's no rule against spending it on luxuries.

ReputationRep:
    Ok firstly i am referring to people using the benefit money to buy them lets get that clear, and your other point is pathetic, there are plenty of people working and using the bus as transport, trains, walking?

Secondly i not denying humanity, dont turn this into some sob story i never said they weren't human, and yeah buy all the luxuries heck even buy Louis Vuitton if you want but then dont sit and cry about how you arent getting enough benefits, the money is to help you survive for necessities for food, clothes etc..
    I speak as somebody who just spent 7 years living in a semi-rural area with a crappy bus service where the nearest town with jobs was ten miles away. Walking wasn't an option, and the bus service wasn't an option. You got laughed out of interviews as soon as you mentioned where you lived and the fact that you didn't have transport of your own. People looking for jobs as carers and things also need cars - it's specified in most adverts. You can't just say to people 'oh, I'll sort that out if you employ me', they expect you to be prepared to jump right into the job.

And yes, you should ideally spend money on food/clothes first but sometimes living on the bare minimum gets a bit testing (especially if you've been looking for a job and keep hitting a brick wall/are out of work and on benefits because of a disability). People can be irresponsible and just like people in work are irresponsible and then complain, people on benefits can be irresponsible and complain.

ReputationRep:

First, describe what you mean by benefits?

There are many various forms of welfare payment. Choose one where the person has a car, smokes cigarettes and drinks alcohol

Then i can impart my wisdom

ReputationRep:
    They should be forced to eat their pets.

(Original post by Reue)
    Unfortunately it is not. The money is given unmonitored and with acknowledgement that the claimant is free to spend it however they wish.There's no rule against spending it on luxuries.
    Other than food that';s exactly where it goes

Video games and books. Thanks Rue.

If you do decide to bring in your stupid food stamp system I can make a few bucks on the food stamp exchange black market so I can have even more luxuries. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    They should be forced to eat their pets.
    On live TV.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Other than food that';s exactly where it goes

Video games and books. Thanks Rue.
    You're welcome

ReputationRep:
    Well its a good job im not speaking about you or your area, im speaking about the majority and the majority of cities/towns have reasonable bus service. You do realise that benefits arent there for your luxury, they are there to help those in trouble stay alive they are nothing more than that, so being irresponsible with benefits is plain stupid. In addition surely relying on others to pay for your life is enough of a reason to stop smoking/drinking etc im not sure how you can justify people wasting money on alcohol/drugs and then complaining that the "stupid ring wing hate the poor and they want us to starve"
    I know that many people who smoke or drink do so because they have difficulties in life, largely related to the inequalities brought about by the society and economy we live in. We have a huge problem with income distribution. The gap between rich and poor is getting wider all the time, and the mental health of the lower classes is really suffering. Poverty leads to addiction as people attempt to cope with lives that feel unbearably miserable.

If there were enough jobs to go around (or if we were even close to having enough jobs for everyone who wanted one) then I'd be complaining less, because it would be a case of benefits being a short term thing while people move from job to job. As it is benefits have become the long term income for many because jobs simply don't exist. If you don't think the rich people in this country have had a part in losing us jobs and being greedy about their own wealth, then I think you should go and read some statistics.

ReputationRep:
    Your complaining is not going to create more jobs, neither is blaming the rich for all of your problems. The rich may have lost you jobs but they also created many in the first place, you are complaining of their greed however they want to maximize profit not make sure every person is employed that is not their problem, unfortunately this is how the world works. I do however understand what you are saying about addiction and it is easier said then done, however drinking yourself into oblivion is not going to help your situation am i right?
    Well, it's not going to help somebody's situation but if it's the only way for someone to get through the day then I see why people turn to it. And then it's difficult to turn back. I feel the need to clarify that I personally am not an alcoholic (I don't drink alcohol, smoke or gamble thanks to lessons I learnt from watching my dad take that route).

Making sure everyone's employed is the problem of the rich people who rule us, and they seem to be failing dramatically on that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.